I wonder if the GOP remembers the last time.......

the very cocept of a debt ceiling seems to be lost on the peons in dc. that would entail a limit of some kind.must be the same im eciles who saved us from the fiscal cliff and k ow what a budget is. those intellectual elites. we must need higher tax rates. lol

whatever the fuck it takes to get them to stop spending is what I'm for, every damn year they raise the debt ceiling they think they have permission to spend MORE.. default now and get it over with because by the time we hit twenty trillion (about 3 years) we'll damn sure default.

Defaulting isn't going to help, because we'll still have to pay off our bills. The debt ceiling doesn't have much to do with our spending because it's more of a tally as to what our current bills are.

Voting on the debt ceiling is more of a way for Congress to see how much they've ALREADY spent.

Do you think that defaulting on your credit card is a good way to save money as well?

If I default on my credit card I have to STOP SPENDING. If the US DEFAULTS they have to stop spending cause no one will risk loaning us money. IT"S time for that to happen. We have too many takers and not enough makers.

You're right. If you default on your credit card, they will take it away from you, or lower your spending limit.

However...................you STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE CHARGES YOU ALREADY PUT ON IT!

Yeah............we COULD do those things if Congress would ever get their shit together.

However..................doing those things THIS YEAR would have no effect on the debt ceiling coming up in March. If it was to have any actual effect, it would have to have been done about 4 years ago.

You know, all those exact same things were said last time; if only those great cuts had been made before, but now we have to pay the bills that we have already incurred....That lead to a deal where the debt limit was raised by $2.4 Trillion, and included $917 billion in "cuts". Less than 18 months ago, we added $2.4 trillion to the debt ceiling, and we have already spent it and are back for more. The sequester was the arrangement that was made in that compromise; look where we've gotten with that. Washington doesn't even want to live up to the $1.2 trillion already agreed. I think it's reasonable for the conservatives to use whatever is at their disposal to try to reduce spending, and the debt ceiling and sequester are the only chips they have. As for the ratings agencies, you don't think they're going to downgrade us if we add another $4 trillion in debt over the next 4 years?

You really think that the GOP is going to allow the sequester to take effect? I don't, because they keep screaming that we need more defense.

What's even more screwed up is it was the GOP that put the sequester in place, and now they're pushing to keep it from taking effect.

I have no idea what the GOP will allow; I'm hoping that conservatives that see that spending MUST be reduced will prevail and reduce BOTH defense and entitlement spending.

Bullshit. Congress controls the purse strings, not the White House. If the GOP wanted to cut defense spending, they could. They don't have to pass a continuing resolution.

Instead, they refuse to cut defense spending back to sane levels.

Who controls Reid?

Did you watch the multiple press conferences by Boehner and Reid during the fiscal cliff hostage negotiations? Did you not notice how beautifully choreographed it all was?

This was a staged event by both parties, and the millions of partisan rubes danced to their tune.

One whines about butter (food stamps), then the other chimes in about guns (defense), then the Greek chorus of bloggers takes it from there, where it then filters down through the empty skulls of the cut-and-pasters on internet forums all over the country.

It's a production. A show. Theater.

Most of the critics raved, but I give it two thumbs down. One thumb down for the GOP, one thumb down for the Democrats.

You didn't find it a little funny after Boehner told Reid to go f himself, Reid admitted he didn't write he own statements, so he wans't responsible for calling Boehner a dictator.

Maobama plans to keep the government in crisis continuiously so he won't have to let a crisis go to waste. He's using the Cloward and Piven strategy and plans to colapse the government and the economy while he is in place to claim his place as the White Knight.
He may be successful, but all he will get in the end is civil war.

whatever the fuck it takes to get them to stop spending is what I'm for, every damn year they raise the debt ceiling they think they have permission to spend MORE.. default now and get it over with because by the time we hit twenty trillion (about 3 years) we'll damn sure default.

OMFG - this is exactly what I mean.

Why is it that rw''s NEVER know WTF they're talking about?

willow - EDUCATE yourself as to what the debt ceiling really is.

It is NOT
permission to spend MORE.

THEN why do they need to raise it?

Because we've ALREADY SPENT THE MONEY, and voting to raise the debt ceiling tells Congress what the current bills are. Most times, budgets are voted for years in advance. Voting on it tells them what the current status is of the spending we've ALREADY incurred because the legislators in DC already voted to spend it. Many times, the votes to spend the money were done several years ago.

Don't bet on it.

There are still many RW's who have no clue what the debt ceiling is. No matter how many times its explained to them, they believe it means spending more money.

Your dems voted for this last spending bill by huge numbers.

THAT is not the point of the debt ceiling.

THAT is not what the debt ceiling is.

If you and your spouse agree to buy the car, that fact really doesn't matter when it comes time to make the payments.

The payments still have to be made and standing around blaming each other for wanting to buy the car is just stupid.

I understand the difference between the two. The US budget is tied directly to the spending entailed in this latest spending bill. We continually borrow to pay our bills....hence our massive debt.

Do you go out, max your cc's and then ask for a higher ceiling? I can guarantee you that every bank that issues that cc will deny that higher ceiling after one or two raises.

Remember last year when the House GOP was thinking that blocking the debt ceiling was going to be one of the ways that they could get Obama to cave in to their demands?

Apparently, they are prepared to do so again this year. Lindsey Graham has even stated publicly that the GOP needs to "keep their powder dry" for the debt ceiling fight.

But quick question......................does anyone remember what happened last time that they tried to block raising the debt ceiling? That's right............the groups that figure out the credit ratings of various countries downgraded the credit rating of the United States. Why? They said it was because of the uncertainty in Congress, as well as all the blocking that was being done by the GOP.

I've got news for you..................the reason the debt ceiling needs to be raised is because it's money CONGRESS HAS ALREADY VOTED INTO LAW AND HAS ALREADY BEEN SPENT!!!!!

Regular Americans can't get away with not paying their credit card bills, so why can Congress?

If they block the debt ceiling again, we could see yet another credit downgrade of this country, and it will all be caused by the GOP.

you should expect another downgrade if they do that.

but that's what they want.

then the nutters can say its the president's fault.

which is really kind of funny.

what's more amazing is that they never said boo when shrub ran up our debt to the tune of 5 trillion plus...

Then congress should have never passed the spending bill. If we can't afford it, why pass it? Do you not have a limit on your credit cards? I do.

Are you another rw who doesn't understand that the money has already been spent?

OMFG - this is exactly what I mean.

Why is it that rw''s NEVER know WTF they're talking about?

willow - EDUCATE yourself as to what the debt ceiling really is.

It is NOT

THEN why do they need to raise it?

Because we've ALREADY SPENT THE MONEY, and voting to raise the debt ceiling tells Congress what the current bills are. Most times, budgets are voted for years in advance. Voting on it tells them what the current status is of the spending we've ALREADY incurred because the legislators in DC already voted to spend it. Many times, the votes to spend the money were done several years ago.

so let's get this right, last year we raised the debt ceiling and so this year we spent more than we raised it to last year so we gotta raise it again? got it,, it gives congress permission to spend MORE money we don't have which is what I said in the first damn place.

you should expect another downgrade if they do that.

but that's what they want.

then the nutters can say its the president's fault.

which is really kind of funny.

what's more amazing is that they never said boo when shrub ran up our debt to the tune of 5 trillion plus...

Then congress should have never passed the spending bill. If we can't afford it, why pass it? Do you not have a limit on your credit cards? I do.

Are you another rw who doesn't understand that the money has already been spent?

The money was never there in the first place. Are you another left winger who doesn't understand that simple concept. I've built and sold three companies on that concept.

Last edited:

If you and your spouse agree to buy the car, that fact really doesn't matter when it comes time to make the payments.

The payments still have to be made and standing around blaming each other for wanting to buy the car is just stupid.

I understand the difference between the two. The US budget is tied directly to the spending entailed in this latest spending bill. We continually borrow to pay our bills....hence our massive debt.

Do you go out, max your cc's and then ask for a higher ceiling? I can guarantee you that every bank that issues that cc will deny that higher ceiling after one or two raises.

Don't forget that a lot of that credit spending was done for the Iraq war.

And, it was also for the tax cuts Jr. gave to the wealthy, even AFTER he'd started the war.

You don't give tax cuts during a war, you raise them to pay for it.

And, it was also for the tax cuts Jr. gave to the wealthy, even AFTER he'd started the war.

Sure. I was against going into Iraq from day one. I would have used hussein as a hedge against nutjob from Iran.

Bush gave tax cuts to EVERYONE moron, and if tax cuts are a bad thing why did obama just give tax cuts to 98% of Americans? Oh don't bother answering I know the answer the maggot just must punish success.

The US should stop running up its bills.

Cut defense spending in half, raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, institute a permanent ban on tax expenditures.

Done!

Yeah............we COULD do those things if Congress would ever get their shit together.

However..................doing those things THIS YEAR would have no effect on the debt ceiling coming up in March. If it was to have any actual effect, it would have to have been done about 4 years ago.

You know, all those exact same things were said last time; if only those great cuts had been made before, but now we have to pay the bills that we have already incurred....That lead to a deal where the debt limit was raised by $2.4 Trillion, and included $917 billion in "cuts". Less than 18 months ago, we added $2.4 trillion to the debt ceiling, and we have already spent it and are back for more. The sequester was the arrangement that was made in that compromise; look where we've gotten with that. Washington doesn't even want to live up to the $1.2 trillion already agreed. I think it's reasonable for the conservatives to use whatever is at their disposal to try to reduce spending, and the debt ceiling and sequester are the only chips they have. As for the ratings agencies, you don't think they're going to downgrade us if we add another $4 trillion in debt over the next 4 years?

We'll be lucky to only have an additional 4 trillion in 4 years, I look for closer to 7 trillion. Maobama will not be satisified with any level of spending, he will push for more regardless.

That phrase prove you do not understand at all.

Its the other way around.

Refer back to my buying the car post. That's the opposite of what you said.

Spending has to be cut. That's a given and that's what Obama put into the pot.

But, BEFORE that, the congress voted to spend $X. They already spent that money and the bill just arrived in the mail box.

They do not NOW get to say they don't want to pay the bill they incurred.

Get it?

But, BEFORE that, the congress voted to spend $X. They already spent that money and the bill just arrived in the mail box.

Get it?

O has a massive spending bill that cuts nothing. You don't get it do you? Why do you go along with excessive spending in these bills that we don't have and then scream that we must raise the debt ceiling so we can pay for these corrupt bills? Repubs and dems went along with this horrid bill.

Last edited:
mmmmm a difficult concept that debt ceiling. we must raise it to cover amounts clueless wasteful govt hacks have already overspent. got it.

Get it?

I think they know what they can and cannot do and I don't think the Republicans are buying the load of bull crap you're trying to sell. GEt it?

New Topics

Forum List

Back