I wonder if the GOP remembers the last time.......

Remember last year when the House GOP was thinking that blocking the debt ceiling was going to be one of the ways that they could get Obama to cave in to their demands?

Apparently, they are prepared to do so again this year. Lindsey Graham has even stated publicly that the GOP needs to "keep their powder dry" for the debt ceiling fight.

But quick question......................does anyone remember what happened last time that they tried to block raising the debt ceiling? That's right............the groups that figure out the credit ratings of various countries downgraded the credit rating of the United States. Why? They said it was because of the uncertainty in Congress, as well as all the blocking that was being done by the GOP.

I've got news for you..................the reason the debt ceiling needs to be raised is because it's money CONGRESS HAS ALREADY VOTED INTO LAW AND HAS ALREADY BEEN SPENT!!!!!

Regular Americans can't get away with not paying their credit card bills, so why can Congress?

If they block the debt ceiling again, we could see yet another credit downgrade of this country, and it will all be caused by the GOP.

you should expect another downgrade if they do that.

but that's what they want.

then the nutters can say its the president's fault.

which is really kind of funny.

what's more amazing is that they never said boo when shrub ran up our debt to the tune of 5 trillion plus...

Then congress should have never passed the spending bill. If we can't afford it, why pass it? Do you not have a limit on your credit cards? I do.

Last edited:
Remember last year when the House GOP was thinking that blocking the debt ceiling was going to be one of the ways that they could get Obama to cave in to their demands?

Apparently, they are prepared to do so again this year. Lindsey Graham has even stated publicly that the GOP needs to "keep their powder dry" for the debt ceiling fight.

But quick question......................does anyone remember what happened last time that they tried to block raising the debt ceiling? That's right............the groups that figure out the credit ratings of various countries downgraded the credit rating of the United States. Why? They said it was because of the uncertainty in Congress, as well as all the blocking that was being done by the GOP.

I've got news for you..................the reason the debt ceiling needs to be raised is because it's money CONGRESS HAS ALREADY VOTED INTO LAW AND HAS ALREADY BEEN SPENT!!!!!

Regular Americans can't get away with not paying their credit card bills, so why can Congress?

If they block the debt ceiling again, we could see yet another credit downgrade of this country, and it will all be caused by the GOP.

Yeah, so lets not use any opportunity we have to push for spending cuts. Lets just keep handing out blank checks, and see how that works out for us.

Never said anything about not pushing for spending cuts. Matter of fact, I think there are plenty of places where the government could save money.

However.........................the debt ceiling doesn't deal with that. The debt ceiling is a reflection of MONEY ALREADY LEGISLATED FOR AND ALREADY SPENT!

No shit, but it is one of few chances to hold their feet to the fire. Look what just happened, we just got a deal that cuts almost no spending, and when he was done what did Obama do? He talked about new Investments, while paying lip service to making cuts later.

Obama will not cut spending, unless he is forced to do so, and the Debt Limit Vote, is a chance to try and get some cuts out of him.

Last edited:

the harder it is for the US to borrow and spend money the better off we'll be. go GOP,, here's hoping they have balls enough to carry the ball to the endzone this time.

Convienient revisionist history there, we were downgraded because we are borrowing too much and the markets are starting to doubt our ability to pay it back or continue to service the debt. The debt celing should be tied to the expected deficit in the annual budget, you know that little tid bit the senate hasn't seen fit to pass since your dear leader was inagurated the first time. They are insisting on operating on continuing resolutions so the GOP can't reduce the budget base line and force spending reductions. The commiecrats have no interest in getting our fiscal house in order and your just not smart enough to see it. Expect more downgrades, and you can thank your dear leader.

Bullshit. Congress controls the purse strings, not the White House. If the GOP wanted to cut defense spending, they could. They don't have to pass a continuing resolution.

Instead, they refuse to cut defense spending back to sane levels.

Who controls Reid?

Did you watch the multiple press conferences by Boehner and Reid during the fiscal cliff hostage negotiations? Did you not notice how beautifully choreographed it all was?

This was a staged event by both parties, and the millions of partisan rubes danced to their tune.

One whines about butter (food stamps), then the other chimes in about guns (defense), then the Greek chorus of bloggers takes it from there, where it then filters down through the empty skulls of the cut-and-pasters on internet forums all over the country.

It's a production. A show. Theater.

Most of the critics raved, but I give it two thumbs down. One thumb down for the GOP, one thumb down for the Democrats.

the harder it is for the US to borrow and spend money the better off we'll be. go GOP,, here's hoping they have balls enough to carry the ball to the endzone this time.

So.................you're in favor of this country not paying it's current bills that it ALREADY HAS, and running the chance of another downgrade?

Nice to see you're such a patriot..........................

So.................you're in favor of this country not paying it's current bills that it ALREADY HAS, and running the chance of another downgrade?

whatever the fuck it takes to get them to stop spending is what I'm for, every damn year they raise the debt ceiling they think they have permission to spend MORE.. default now and get it over with because by the time we hit twenty trillion (about 3 years) we'll damn sure default.

I can pretty confidently say that if the GOP keeps along with their current lines of stupidity, they're gonna lose big in 2014.

Don't bet on it.

There are still many RW's who have no clue what the debt ceiling is. No matter how many times its explained to them, they believe it means spending more money.

So.................the US should just default on it's bills?

The US should stop running up its bills.

Cut defense spending in half, raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, institute a permanent ban on tax expenditures.

Done!

Nope... just make people pay into them for all of their income. Otherwise....we have basic agreement.

Convienient revisionist history there, we were downgraded because we are borrowing too much and the markets are starting to doubt our ability to pay it back or continue to service the debt. The debt celing should be tied to the expected deficit in the annual budget, you know that little tid bit the senate hasn't seen fit to pass since your dear leader was inagurated the first time. They are insisting on operating on continuing resolutions so the GOP can't reduce the budget base line and force spending reductions. The commiecrats have no interest in getting our fiscal house in order and your just not smart enough to see it. Expect more downgrades, and you can thank your dear leader.

Actually, it's more of the hatred that the old white men have for the current black man occupying the White House. Most of the ideas that the GOP presented for budgets in years past were actually embraced by Obama, but whenever Obama likes an idea, the GOP then goes completely against it, even when they were the ones that initiated it in the first place.

And yeah......................Moody's said that one of the MAIN reasons was because of the division in DC. It causes too much uncertainty.

Name one major spend bill that has passed using regular order in the last 4 years.

I can pretty confidently say that if the GOP keeps along with their current lines of stupidity, they're gonna lose big in 2014.

Don't bet on it.

There are still many RW's who have no clue what the debt ceiling is. No matter how many times its explained to them, they believe it means spending more money.

Your dems voted for this last spending bill by huge numbers.

whatever the fuck it takes to get them to stop spending is what I'm for, every damn year they raise the debt ceiling they think they have permission to spend MORE.. default now and get it over with because by the time we hit twenty trillion (about 3 years) we'll damn sure default.

Defaulting isn't going to help, because we'll still have to pay off our bills. The debt ceiling doesn't have much to do with our spending because it's more of a tally as to what our current bills are.

Voting on the debt ceiling is more of a way for Congress to see how much they've ALREADY spent.

Do you think that defaulting on your credit card is a good way to save money as well?

Actually, things are much worse than I let on in my last post.

The rubes these days are so brain dead, it is hilarious to think they would actually examine the budget process or read a bill for themselves. No, they need someone to translate that shit for them and make shit up that they would not even know how to fact check.

Shit, they don't even know how to read and understand an Executive Order. They actually believe EOs are unconstitutional dictatorial missives from Obama. :lol:

No, I'm afraid the rube mind works like this these days:

RUBE: Budget? Budget? Is that like, food stamps? What about defense? How much do we spend on-

RW MEDIA: LOOK OVER THERE! OBAMA HAS 64 CHRISTMAS TREES, FOR FUCK'S SAKE! CAN YOU BLEEVE THAT SHIT?

RUBE: Ohmagod. No wonder we are going broke. That fucking asshole!!! I must spread the word about this!

Last edited:
Actually, things are much worse than I let on in my last post.

The rubes these days are so brain dead, it is hilarious to think they would actually examine the budget process or read a bill for themselves. No, they need someone to translate that shit for them and make shit up that they would not even know how to fact check.

Shit, they don't even know how to read and understand an Executive Order. They actually believe EOs are unconstitutional dictatorial missives from Obama. :lol:

No, I'm afraid the rube mind works like this these days:

RUBE: Budget? Budget? Is that like, food stamps? What about defense? How much do we spend on-

RIGHT WING PISSER: LOOK OVER THERE! OBAMA HAS 64 CHRISTMAS TREES, FOR FUCK'S SAKE! CAN YOU BLEEVE THAT SHIT?

RUBE: Ohmagod. No wonder we are going broke. That fucking asshole. I must spread the word about this!

Hell, they don't even read the bills they pass anymore.

So.................the US should just default on it's bills?

Cut defense spending in half, raise the Social Security and Medicare eligibility ages to 70, institute a permanent ban on tax expenditures.

Done!

Yeah............we COULD do those things if Congress would ever get their shit together.

However..................doing those things THIS YEAR would have no effect on the debt ceiling coming up in March. If it was to have any actual effect, it would have to have been done about 4 years ago.

You know, all those exact same things were said last time; if only those great cuts had been made before, but now we have to pay the bills that we have already incurred....That lead to a deal where the debt limit was raised by $2.4 Trillion, and included $917 billion in "cuts". Less than 18 months ago, we added $2.4 trillion to the debt ceiling, and we have already spent it and are back for more. The sequester was the arrangement that was made in that compromise; look where we've gotten with that. Washington doesn't even want to live up to the $1.2 trillion already agreed. I think it's reasonable for the conservatives to use whatever is at their disposal to try to reduce spending, and the debt ceiling and sequester are the only chips they have. As for the ratings agencies, you don't think they're going to downgrade us if we add another $4 trillion in debt over the next 4 years?

OMFG - this is exactly what I mean.

Why is it that rw''s NEVER know WTF they're talking about?

willow - EDUCATE yourself as to what the debt ceiling really is.

It is NOT
permission to spend MORE.

Defaulting isn't going to help, because we'll still have to pay off our bills. The debt ceiling doesn't have much to do with our spending because it's more of a tally as to what our current bills are.

Voting on the debt ceiling is more of a way for Congress to see how much they've ALREADY spent.

Do you think that defaulting on your credit card is a good way to save money as well?

If I default on my credit card I have to STOP SPENDING. If the US DEFAULTS they have to stop spending cause no one will risk loaning us money. IT"S time for that to happen. We have too many takers and not enough makers.

OMFG - this is exactly what I mean.

Why is it that rw''s NEVER know WTF they're talking about?

willow - EDUCATE yourself as to what the debt ceiling really is.

It is NOT
permission to spend MORE.

THEN why do they need to raise it?

Don't bet on it.

Your dems voted for this last spending bill by huge numbers.

THAT is not the point of the debt ceiling.

THAT is not what the debt ceiling is.

If you and your spouse agree to buy the car, that fact really doesn't matter when it comes time to make the payments.

The payments still have to be made and standing around blaming each other for wanting to buy the car is just stupid.

Done!

Yeah............we COULD do those things if Congress would ever get their shit together.

However..................doing those things THIS YEAR would have no effect on the debt ceiling coming up in March. If it was to have any actual effect, it would have to have been done about 4 years ago.

You know, all those exact same things were said last time; if only those great cuts had been made before, but now we have to pay the bills that we have already incurred....That lead to a deal where the debt limit was raised by $2.4 Trillion, and included $917 billion in "cuts". Less than 18 months ago, we added $2.4 trillion to the debt ceiling, and we have already spent it and are back for more. The sequester was the arrangement that was made in that compromise; look where we've gotten with that. Washington doesn't even want to live up to the $1.2 trillion already agreed. I think it's reasonable for the conservatives to use whatever is at their disposal to try to reduce spending, and the debt ceiling and sequester are the only chips they have. As for the ratings agencies, you don't think they're going to downgrade us if we add another $4 trillion in debt over the next 4 years?

You really think that the GOP is going to allow the sequester to take effect? I don't, because they keep screaming that we need more defense.

What's even more screwed up is it was the GOP that put the sequester in place, and now they're pushing to keep it from taking effect.

Forum List

Back