I wish someone would end welfare

I'd like to see us dramatically reduce the need for welfare. It will always be needed for those who fall and for the disabled. For the able-bodied, it should be temporary. I am alarmed at the number of people who are doomed to end up on it because they are neglecting to learn skills to get them through life. With 5th generation welfare recipients, you can see that the lack of ambition and discipline being taught by parents. I am so sick of the left insinuating that people are doomed because of skin color or because they are growing up in the wrong place. When will the left start telling individuals that they have potential to become anything they want to be and that blaming your lot in life on racism or wealthy people is nothing but a cop out? Of course, the left encourages government dependency. They always have and each year they find new ways to recruit new dependents and use lies to convince people that it's not their fault that there is no other choice for them. Must rely on the benevolent liberals for a meager life with the promise of more. Decades have passed without improvement.

In order to get people back on their feet, or to just make sure they "launch" when they become of age, we need available opportunities and people who are ready to accept them. Government doesn't create jobs, but can sure create policies that are either friendly toward job creation or detrimental to employment opportunities. Billions poured into our schools haven't improved conditions in too many of them and that is highly suspect. Would love to see a break down of where the money was spent.

With Obamacare, crony capitalism and other oppressive policies, small businesses are barely surviving and many see each employee as a huge liability. And many companies are forced to meet quotas for minorities, which means they aren't able to choose the best people to run and work in their businesses.
Job Openings Rise to the Highest Level in 14 Years - Real Time Economics - WSJ

This relationship has still not returned to where it was in the mid-2000s. The last time there were as many job openings as today, the unemployment rate was under 4.5%. This suggests that, for whatever reason, workers are not filling the available jobs as easily as in the past. This could be a sign that workers lack the skills for available openings or that employers are unwilling to pay sufficient salaries to get workers to accept the positions.

----------------

We can't even get the GOP to pass a highway bill. You know they cut education. Too "liberal".

Yeah, because we're not completely irresponsible like the leftists, whose policies have destroyed Greece.

What part of "$18 Trillion in debt" did you fail to grasp in your tiny little brain?

I love how you highlight stuff... and ignore the rest.

This is like a 4-year-old "Mommy can I go out and play" And the response is "Maybe you can after dinner".

Then after dinner "You said I could go out and play after dinner"
No, I said "maybe". You have homework to do.

You highlighted...."workers lack the skills for available openings"
but failed to read the words just before that "This could be a sign".

Meaning that it's possible that's a reason, and it's possible it's not.

What if government health care mandates have made hiring people unprofitable? What if minimum wage laws that are going up at the state level, are holding employment down? What if the corporate tax rate is driving investment out? What if out of control government spending, that you moronically support, is making business wary of operating in the US, knowing that when the debt comes due, they will be on the top of tax hit list (especially when you support attacking business already)?

There are dozens of reasons.

And not only that, but it's also possible that students are not learning the skills needed, by choice. How many art history majors do we have, when there is a dire need of electrical engineers?

Now notice the difference between you an me? You declared something as though it was fact. I asked questions, without assuming the answer.
What did you have for dinner?

Contrary to Entitlement Society Rhetoric Over Nine-Tenths of Entitlement Benefits Go to Elderly Disabled or Working Households Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I'm so sick of this argument blaming poor people for being poor. There are some people who just never will make a lot of money even if they work 60 hours per week. All they will make is minimum wage and that is not enough to support themselves, especially if they have kids.

It is unfortunate they are not capable of surviving in today's society.

Poor people are poor because they choose to be.

One working 60 hrs a week making minimum wage, needs to improve one's self so they are capable of making more.

Especially true if they have kids.

For you to imply that it is societies responsibility for improving each and every one is utter stupidity.

How did society get to be responsible for either your ignorance or your laziness??

The part about the kids is simply a sympathy ploy that screams, hey I was too fucking ignorant to keep my legs closed, so now I have kids I can not support.

I have no more pity for your selfish ignorant ass than I would if you bought a Lamborghini and could not drive it because you could not pay for insurance or gas.

Those kids would be the parents responsibility and before creating them to use as a sympathy card the individual should have shown some self restraint.

I love morons who live in "Fantasyland". This is the real world. And you calling me lazy is laughable. People like you can't help "diarrhea of the mouth syndrome".
Or use other folks that worked and were injured to the point of not being able to work...Conservatives have heart....Ha!

That doesn't even make a point.

Besides that, conservatives have far more heart than the left has ever had.

You think you demanding that OTHER people help those are incapacitated, proves that you have heart?

If I came on here and said "I demand Moonglow give money to poor people!"

Would you conclude that I have a big heart? No? Then by what logic do you think liberals demanding everyone else pay for needy people, shows they have heart?

This is like Obama in 2008, showed that he gave less than 1% of his income that was over a million dollars, to charity, claiming to be a charitable person.
But I do give and yet do not feel anger...

No one feels angry about charity. Taxation is not charity. It's coerced theft. And contrary to your claim, there seems to be tons of anger... not anger at their own giving, but anger at other people supposedly not giving.

And even more ironic, the very people you are mad at, routinely give far more than you, or any of those like you, have ever given.

I'd like to see us dramatically reduce the need for welfare. It will always be needed for those who fall and for the disabled. For the able-bodied, it should be temporary. I am alarmed at the number of people who are doomed to end up on it because they are neglecting to learn skills to get them through life. With 5th generation welfare recipients, you can see that the lack of ambition and discipline being taught by parents. I am so sick of the left insinuating that people are doomed because of skin color or because they are growing up in the wrong place. When will the left start telling individuals that they have potential to become anything they want to be and that blaming your lot in life on racism or wealthy people is nothing but a cop out? Of course, the left encourages government dependency. They always have and each year they find new ways to recruit new dependents and use lies to convince people that it's not their fault that there is no other choice for them. Must rely on the benevolent liberals for a meager life with the promise of more. Decades have passed without improvement.

In order to get people back on their feet, or to just make sure they "launch" when they become of age, we need available opportunities and people who are ready to accept them. Government doesn't create jobs, but can sure create policies that are either friendly toward job creation or detrimental to employment opportunities. Billions poured into our schools haven't improved conditions in too many of them and that is highly suspect. Would love to see a break down of where the money was spent.

With Obamacare, crony capitalism and other oppressive policies, small businesses are barely surviving and many see each employee as a huge liability. And many companies are forced to meet quotas for minorities, which means they aren't able to choose the best people to run and work in their businesses.
Job Openings Rise to the Highest Level in 14 Years - Real Time Economics - WSJ

This relationship has still not returned to where it was in the mid-2000s. The last time there were as many job openings as today, the unemployment rate was under 4.5%. This suggests that, for whatever reason, workers are not filling the available jobs as easily as in the past. This could be a sign that workers lack the skills for available openings or that employers are unwilling to pay sufficient salaries to get workers to accept the positions.

----------------

We can't even get the GOP to pass a highway bill. You know they cut education. Too "liberal".

Yeah, because we're not completely irresponsible like the leftists, whose policies have destroyed Greece.

What part of "$18 Trillion in debt" did you fail to grasp in your tiny little brain?

I love how you highlight stuff... and ignore the rest.

This is like a 4-year-old "Mommy can I go out and play" And the response is "Maybe you can after dinner".

Then after dinner "You said I could go out and play after dinner"
No, I said "maybe". You have homework to do.

You highlighted...."workers lack the skills for available openings"
but failed to read the words just before that "This could be a sign".

Meaning that it's possible that's a reason, and it's possible it's not.

What if government health care mandates have made hiring people unprofitable? What if minimum wage laws that are going up at the state level, are holding employment down? What if the corporate tax rate is driving investment out? What if out of control government spending, that you moronically support, is making business wary of operating in the US, knowing that when the debt comes due, they will be on the top of tax hit list (especially when you support attacking business already)?

There are dozens of reasons.

And not only that, but it's also possible that students are not learning the skills needed, by choice. How many art history majors do we have, when there is a dire need of electrical engineers?

Now notice the difference between you an me? You declared something as though it was fact. I asked questions, without assuming the answer.
What did you have for dinner?

I didn't have dinner. I ate a $1.49 Cheese burger from burger king for lunch. That's all I had until this morning, when I bought some breakfast burritos from McDonalds.

What's that got to do with anything?

Make them work for the money. Not wanting to work is the main motivation for those who apply for welfare.

Contrary to Entitlement Society Rhetoric Over Nine-Tenths of Entitlement Benefits Go to Elderly Disabled or Working Households Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

I'm so sick of this argument blaming poor people for being poor. There are some people who just never will make a lot of money even if they work 60 hours per week. All they will make is minimum wage and that is not enough to support themselves, especially if they have kids.

My parents are now millionaires. The reason why, isn't all that shocking to me. They did something amazing......... (write this down)... "They lived within their means"

They didn't borrow money. They didn't have credit cards. They saved money in a 401K. They didn't buy expensive vehicles that go down in value. My mother drove a Honda Accord to work and back. My father had the family van.

They put the absolute maximum amount they could into 401K. As much as they were allowed by law. They also purchased property. They own a beach side rental, and a small Condo.

The reason why they are now rich, is because they acted wisely. The reason people are poor, is because they acted poorly.

I'm not sure what you think your link proves... because it surely doesn't counter anything we've ever said.

So you grew up in a middle class family with all the advantages that brings, as did I. Kids who grow up in the ghetto or in extreme rural poverty rarely get the opportunities we have had. I find it amazing that so many of you do not understand this. The vast majority of kids who grow up in middle class families end up becoming middle class themselves. The vast majority of kids that grow up in poverty end up spending their entire lives in poverty.

Make them work for the money. Not wanting to work is the main motivation for those who apply for welfare.

My parents are now millionaires. The reason why, isn't all that shocking to me. They did something amazing......... (write this down)... "They lived within their means"

They didn't borrow money. They didn't have credit cards. They saved money in a 401K. They didn't buy expensive vehicles that go down in value. My mother drove a Honda Accord to work and back. My father had the family van.

They put the absolute maximum amount they could into 401K. As much as they were allowed by law. They also purchased property. They own a beach side rental, and a small Condo.

The reason why they are now rich, is because they acted wisely. The reason people are poor, is because they acted poorly.

I'm not sure what you think your link proves... because it surely doesn't counter anything we've ever said.

So you grew up in a middle class family with all the advantages that brings, as did I. Kids who grow up in the ghetto or in extreme rural poverty rarely get the opportunities we have had. I find it amazing that so many of you do not understand this. The vast majority of kids who grow up in middle class families end up becoming middle class themselves. The vast majority of kids that grow up in poverty end up spending their entire lives in poverty.
So, if it's just a matter of them not having opportunities, instead of offering them a handout (in exchange for their vote), why not offer them job training?

I do not agree with the assumption.

You are looking at two data points, and concluding they are causally linked.

I can think of numerous example of people who grew up poor, and became very wealthy, or very successful, or a combination of both.

Thomas Sowell grew up extremely poor, far more impoverished than those on welfare today. Clarence Thomas.

Kenny Troutt, father was a bartender. Had to pay his own way through college. Not has over a billion.

Howard Schultz, now owns Starbucks. Made his own way through college.

Ken Langone, worked in a cafeteria to pay for college. Started up a couple of companies, most notably Home Depot.

Shahid Khan, worked washing dishes for $1.20 an hour. Now a billionaire, and owns the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Do Won Chang, worked at a coffee shop, a gas station, and janitor... three jobs to make ends meet after coming here from Korea. Now a billionaire.

Francois Pinault actually dropped out of high school, specifically because people bullied him for being poor. Now he's a billionaire.

Harold Simmons grew up in a shack without electricity or plumbing. Now he's a billionaire.

So if growing up in poverty, keeps people in poverty... than how do all these people exist?

I would argue that there is another factor. A work ethic factor.

None of these people had parents who lived on welfare. Most if not all, had working parents. They worked very hard. They required that their kids work hard. Most came form intact homes.

These people had parents which modeled 'working for a living', even if the living sucked.

I would even argue to you, that if all these people's parents had been on welfare, that none of them, not one, would be in the position of wealth, that they are now.

Every single detailed research that I have ever read, suggest that parents are still the number one influencing factor on a child. Even if the child hates the parents. Even if the parents don't get along perfectly. Even if everyone is poor. Kids still learn the most about how to live life, by watching their parents.

When parents are on welfare, then living off the government and being lazy, is what they learn to do, and that's how they live their lives.

But you can't stand that, and so you instead attack other people being 'they had an advantage'. Yeah I did have an advantage. When I broke a toy I got at Christmas one year, my parents said tough snot, go outside and work to replace the toy.

And I did. I shoveled snow all Christmas break. I earned the money, to replace the toy. It's a lesson I've remembered all these years. If that's an unfair advantage, so be it.

So, if it's just a matter of them not having opportunities, instead of offering them a handout (in exchange for their vote), why not offer them job training?

Job training doesn't help, as long as they have an alternative to getting a job. There are dozens, hundreds of jobs, that have paid training, and tuition reimbursement. Fact is, as long as they don't have to work, then all the 'job-training' in the world, won't do anything.

If you simply make it so that they either work or starve, they'll work. And then the motivation of not working really hard, for really little, will be motivation enough to get their own job training.

Job training doesn't help, as long as they have an alternative to getting a job. There are dozens, hundreds of jobs, that have paid training, and tuition reimbursement. Fact is, as long as they don't have to work, then all the 'job-training' in the world, won't do anything.

If you simply make it so that they either work or starve, they'll work. And then the motivation of not working really hard, for really little, will be motivation enough to get their own job training.
I know that. That's why I asked the question. Liberals won't offer job training because then they would lose their vote.

I know that. That's why I asked the question. Liberals won't offer job training because then they would lose their vote.

I think job training is a good idea, along with free community college. ;) People on welfare should do one or the other.

I think job training is a good idea, along with free community college. ;) People on welfare should do one or the other.
Why should they when the Democrats give them money for doing nothing (except vote for them)?

Why should they when the Democrats give them money for doing nothing (except vote for them)?

Why not make education and work training part of the deal for the abled bodied? I can understand giving it to mothers with children and truly disabled people, but not to people that could be bettering themselves with it.

Why not make education and work training part of the deal for the abled bodied? I can understand giving it to mothers with children and truly disabled people, but not to people that could be bettering themselves with it.
We did. Republicans passed it and Clinton signed it. Obama dismantled it, now they're back to getting handouts for doing nothing (except voting Democrat).

Yeah, just like Greece. That worked out well for them.

I don't understand why people ignore economic reality. The government doesn't have endless amounts of money to spend on education. The UK tried that, and had to increase tuition prices, because they couldn't afford it.

Besides that, there are jobs that offer tuition reimbursement. People simply do not want to work.

Forum List

Back