I will quote my friend, 5 years out of prison

He restored his own gun rights, lol.

I have an inmate in my unit that caught another 60 month charge just for possessing a 22 in his backyard. If your friend gets caught with it, they will lock him back up for another 5 to 10 years. Might wanna talk some sense into him.

i don't think Felons should be able to Vote unless they give a LARGE sum of Community Service hours, first.

There are people who were wrongly convicted.

some states return the right automatically

if they're "wrongly convicted", presumably they will be exonerated in most instances.

if they are exonerated, the record is expunged.

if the record is expunged, there is no more felony conviction and the right to vote is restored automatically.

even with a legitimate conviction, after a certain number of years, the person may make an application to have their voting rights restored.

There are injustices in the world.

Hell we have put to death people who turned out to be innoccent of the crime later.

The discussion pertains to politics on this way: Welfare.

I can have these discussions because I was around it, and I've also 2 family members who are EMT/Firemen who have HUNDREDS of stories about these things, and all of the waste out there makes me pretty sad.

Update on GT's life:

My friend Jay got laid off and just threw me a text to tell me. He works for NYS, as an Engineer. He voted "no" to the contract the Governor proposed, and in the contract not passing, the layoffs had to occur.

My issue is that he was just telling me yesterday that, in 12 days, he gets 5 more Vacation days and a few days after that, he gets 5 more sick days. He and everyone he works with are late to work almost every single day with no care or worries. They have more sick and vacation days than anyone, in any job, that I've ever met BEFORE the more that he was about to get.

It's hard for me to see these things and the State going broke and wondering why better management isn't a pretty simple solution.

not to start an ugly debate..

But management is not in control of items such as vacation days, sick days, etc.

Unions use those items to negotiate when a state can not afford to negotiate higher salaries.

They are given freely to avoid a strike.

I see it at the private level.

This past May 1st was a union contract expiration. MY client, during negotiations, produced the financials showing how the recession had an adverse affect on them and there was a negative profit and the best they can give is a col increase.

The union said it would accept the COL increase BUT insisted on 3 additional personal days for all union memebers for the coming year and the right to renegotiate the salary increase in 6 months.

They settled on a COL (3%) and 2 extra personal days...and the right to renegopatiate in 6 months.

I was using the term Management in the General, not the specific (not the actual "Manager," but more-so, we need someone MANAGING these things better).

I hate to say it GT....but such was the reason one state eliminated collective bargaining.

In a non union comapny, if the company does not make money...or has a negative profit, the employees do not even get a COL raise....they ralley around the owner and suck it up. I have sen it mutiple times over the last few years.

But look at what this union did. The company had a negative profit...their RE's were negative. The owner showed his personal income for the year. Bear minimum...52K....salary he takes weekly....of course during better years he takes monthly distributions.

SO what did the union do?

Insisted on a COL raise....and as opposed to saying that is fine, the also negotiated in extra time off....with the threat being a walk out.

If they walked out, the little business he had would have left him for the competition...and he is counting on that business growing when times gets better.....it would have meant him going out of business.

His management style was not the issue. It was his inability to get a fair negotiation from the union. They kjnew what his weak spot was and they used it to get what they wanted.

There are people who were wrongly convicted.

some states return the right automatically

if they're "wrongly convicted", presumably they will be exonerated in most instances.

if the record is expunged, there is no more felony conviction and the right to vote is restored automatically.

even with a legitimate conviction, after a certain number of years, the person may make an application to have their voting rights restored.

Hell we have put to death people who turned out to be innoccent of the crime later.

It's very rare for someone to be put to death when they are innocent though, very rare, like less than 1% rare. If you look at the amount of people actually executed every year, and take that number and see how many had very strong evidence against them.....well, it's rare for someone to be executed even though they are innocent.

It's very rare for someone to be put to death when they are innocent though, very rare, like less than 1% rare. If you look at the amount of people actually executed every year, and take that number and see how many had very strong evidence against them.....well, it's rare for someone to be executed even though they are innocent.

true....but imagine the one person out of a thousand that is.....
It is disturbing when yu think about it.

The only thing worse than being killed by a murderer, is being killed by the law who thought you were guilty, when in fact you were innocent.

He restored his own gun rights, lol.

I have an inmate in my unit that caught another 60 month charge just for possessing a 22 in his backyard. If your friend gets caught with it, they will lock him back up for another 5 to 10 years. Might wanna talk some sense into him.

I tried. He's on some thinking he's Gotti shit.

I'm his closest friend and I had to hear from other people that he's like one of the head dudes now, locally, in "the game" if you dig what I mean.

I bought a house and moved to Latham, I don't go down there much any more.

Mind you, I was never a banger or anything, so I'll explain how we became affiliated. He was 16 or 17 when he went away. My (now wife's) best friend was like 15 and everybody noticed she started having a thing for black dudes. He was her latest, when he went away. They stayed together all 5 years and still are to this day (he's about 2 years out, maybe a little more).

So, being that I'm the local good dude slash role model :razz: , she asked Alicia to ask me if I'd take him under my wing, since I had my shit together and also grew up in the grimy grimy so I wasn't just some corny white kid.

I did it, and we became pretty tight. Her father (the kid's girlfriend, now fiance) is always pulling me off to the side and stuff and asking me how I feel about it, I think he doesn't like the whole felon thing and I get the impression he doesn't like the whole being black thing, either.

So, becoming his good friend we started boxing together, doing music, etc because I had a recording set up and of course he wrote all kinds of Raps in prison for 5 years.

So every time I got "the question," from the girl's father, I gave the thumbs up, A-ok sir.

Now, there's some grime he'll admit to me. I mean, weed at least because a lot of my friends smoke as well so we're "involved" I'll say. I quit 3 years ago.

anyhoo.....it's a lot deeper than that, I found out from another good friend...and so deep that he's considered some sort of local Big shot.

It's sad, I haven't confronted it because I don't want to snitch on the snitch, but I'm always asking questions and giving advice.

My baby's due in December and I'm sort of staying away from all of that. I do accounting, my wife is a Hygienist, we make dope money and bought a sick house and threw $20k rehab money into it. I might cut ties, but I love him so.......dunno

It's sort of a metaphor which means: that usually when people settle @ saying "but I didn't have any other choice" - - - - -

it was a choice to settle at that, because there's always another way.

Thanks, yeah that's a great line for deep thinkers lol.

Can i ask what he got in trouble for?

Attempted Murder. He broke into a house with a crew and the person was accidentally home (unplanned), they all fought, guy got stabbed.

Well hopefully he's rehabilitated and will make better choices.

Is he remorseful for what he did to the person(s) he hurt?

I hate to say it GT....but such was the reason one state eliminated collective bargaining.

In a non union comapny, if the company does not make money...or has a negative profit, the employees do not even get a COL raise....they ralley around the owner and suck it up. I have sen it mutiple times over the last few years.

But look at what this union did. The company had a negative profit...their RE's were negative. The owner showed his personal income for the year. Bear minimum...52K....salary he takes weekly....of course during better years he takes monthly distributions.

SO what did the union do?

Insisted on a COL raise....and as opposed to saying that is fine, the also negotiated in extra time off....with the threat being a walk out.

If they walked out, the little business he had would have left him for the competition...and he is counting on that business growing when times gets better.....it would have meant him going out of business.

His management style was not the issue. It was his inability to get a fair negotiation from the union. They kjnew what his weak spot was and they used it to get what they wanted.

There's no need to hate to say it, it's a fact of life I guess.

Rush said something like that in their song "Freewill".......

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear-
I will choose Free Will.

Freewill Lyrics - Rush

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back