I went to a tea party forum last night

Gadawg73

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2009
Georgia
About 20 people at a local pub here. Very interesting group of folks and polite and not confrontational at all.I enjoyed it as there were a few of us that were not tea party folks there. These are my observations and I am being judgemental here and admit it:
They started with everything being black and white. All Democrats are bad and most Republicans are good. A few of them were trying to get away from that but never would.
They were upset that at the Atlanta rally Bob Barr was allowed to speak as he had worked for the ACLU. They all claimed the ACLU was always bad. I asked them if they knew the ACLU was the leader fighting against bans on street preaching and they advised they did not know that and would look into it. Again, these folks were very polite and the entire evening was enjoyable.
They avoided the social security/Medicare debate 100% and countered with we need to end all welfare. When confronted with the fact that SS/Medicare consumes almost half the budget they waffled and stated that sometimes the numbers do not tell the entire story and seniors deserve it and they earned it and side stepped it.
Immigration is their favorite topic by far. I was surprised as I thought it was a tax movement. One guy suggested a 50 foot wide firing range from the Pacific to the Gulf. He was a fireman, a veteran and a nice guy as I sat right next to him. We disagreed on a lot but he was okay with it.
Foreign policy was not discussed and I liked that.
Tax policy was debated and there were differences in the group. I liked that. However,the common theme was that we can continue with SS/Medicare and cut taxes. They offered no way to do it.
The men dominated the session with the women sort of as support. There were two women that were very vocal and their subject was always about Sarah Palin. God,guns and country was the slogan. One of our bunch asked why Todd Palin was allowed to have so much power and one of the other women stated that is what conservative women do. Some of the men followed up on that and stated that it was good to have a man support his wife and offer help. Sort of a here you go girl, bend over and let me help you with that mentality. That surprised me but it was how it happened.
As a whole these folks were very opinionated and I believe a lot of it was hype but they were willing to discuss and listen to others attentively. We drank a few beers and ate chicken wings. It was a lot of fun and I came out of it with a positive attitude. I might disagree with them on many issues but it is their right to believe what they want and stand up for that. They were willing to debate it civilly and we are meeting again next month.

About 20 people at a local pub here. Very interesting group of folks and polite and not confrontational at all.I enjoyed it as there were a few of us that were not tea party folks there. These are my observations and I am being judgemental here and admit it:
They started with everything being black and white. All Democrats are bad and most Republicans are good. A few of them were trying to get away from that but never would.
They were upset that at the Atlanta rally Bob Barr was allowed to speak as he had worked for the ACLU. They all claimed the ACLU was always bad. I asked them if they knew the ACLU was the leader fighting against bans on street preaching and they advised they did not know that and would look into it. Again, these folks were very polite and the entire evening was enjoyable.
They avoided the social security/Medicare debate 100% and countered with we need to end all welfare. When confronted with the fact that SS/Medicare consumes almost half the budget they waffled and stated that sometimes the numbers do not tell the entire story and seniors deserve it and they earned it and side stepped it.
Immigration is their favorite topic by far. I was surprised as I thought it was a tax movement. One guy suggested a 50 foot wide firing range from the Pacific to the Gulf. He was a fireman, a veteran and a nice guy as I sat right next to him. We disagreed on a lot but he was okay with it.
Tax policy was debated and there were differences in the group. I liked that. However,the common theme was that we can continue with SS/Medicare and cut taxes. They offered no way to do it.
The men dominated the session with the women sort of as support. There were two women that were very vocal and their subject was always about Sarah Palin. God,guns and country was the slogan. One of our bunch asked why Todd Palin was allowed to have so much power and one of the other women stated that is what conservative women do. Some of the men followed up on that and stated that it was good to have a man support his wife and offer help. Sort of a here you go girl, bend over and let me help you with that mentality. That surprised me but it was how it happened.
As a whole these folks were very opinionated and I believe a lot of it was hype but they were willing to discuss and listen to others attentively. We drank a few beers and ate chicken wings. It was a lot of fun and I came out of it with a positive attitude. I might disagree with them on many issues but it is their right to believe what they want and stand up for that. They were willing to debate it civilly and we are meeting again next month.

Were any of them racists?

Glad to hear they were open to alternative voices.

Not my experience so far with the group.

Were any of them racists?

A racist is someone that believes their race is superior to all others. None professed that.
Many of us are bigoted in some way and I am sure some of them were.
I know it is not easy for me to admit my many faults and expect that is the samewith everyone, especially here.

These are the common folk, average americans, voicing their concern for their country.

I think it's a wonderful thing.

They have organized because they know the current regime, doesn't care what they think.

They are not necessarily a tax movement. They are a group that believes that the foundations of America are good, free market, lower taxes, less regulations, secure national security, etc.

It's interesting to know what the fallout of having a communist as president will be. He might make the country more politically conservative than it's ever been. I think people know that they can no longer be silent, and that threatens the hell out of the democrats.

These are the common folk, average americans, voicing their concern for their country.

I think it's a wonderful thing.

They have organized .... I think people know that they can no longer be silent, and that threatens the hell out of the democrats.

Very frankly, I'm not sure why they thought anyone has cared about their concerns for the past 50 years. But I too am happy with the "awakening" although I'd hardly call it "organized."

A 50 ft wide firing range?

how fucking dare you ask that girl? i cant believe you ask that.....lol

Since the TEA Parties are, apparently, predominantly made up of redneck racists with guns and shit, I wondered what it was like to sit in a room with these dangerous whackjobs.

A group of black people at the NAACP meeting who bitch nonstop about "whitey" aren't racists, but a group of whites who never mention race are.

And you wonder why whites DO get dangerous sometimes!

Forum List

Back