I went through what my husband paid for HI with BCBS for the last 12 years

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes it was cheaper in 2002, but ever since it has gone up 100 (give or take a few bucks either way) a month, that is 1200 a year.

I would call and they would say he is a year older (it was always a pleasant birthday gift for him, from BCBS)

Nothing has changed, I signed him up on the Health care. gov site in 2015 (just in case he should have a terrible accident or illness and would need a subsidy) and in 2016 his premium is 100 more a month.

Yes he is getting older, but the only medical condition he has had since 2002 is glaucoma, and uses a eye drop once a day, no meds , no medical condition , no reason for increases, except age.

I would cringe if he should get a dx of cancer, not be able to pay premiums (about 1000 a month) and he would not be able to change insurance due to a pre existing condition. (He is self employed)

That is why I think the ACA is good, everyone pays the same for each policy, and gets a break due to income .

Smokers pay more which is discrimination, they do not ask weight or if one smokes pot, or drinks, but only if one smokes.

Yes. Insurance isn't free. BCBS is no exception. To keep from "cringing" should your husband get a dx of cancer and can't pay the premium, you might try what many adults do- put some money into savings for such emergencies.

Yes. Insurance isn't free. BCBS is no exception. To keep from "cringing" should your husband get a dx of cancer and can't pay the premium, you might try what many adults do- put some money into savings for such emergencies.

We have money in savings and he has a disability policy , but that Is not the point. The point is, many people do not, and can't afford a HSA or a savings account for a time like the above. What about them. What about a 40 year old who has say diabetes , through no fault of his own?? Before he could not change jobs or ins carriers for fear of not getting ins he could afford, now he can with the ACA.

Also the point is his ins went up the same with and not on the ACA.

We have money in savings and he has a disability policy , but that Is no the point. The point is, many people do not, and can't afford a HSA or a savings account for a time like the above. What about them. What about a 40 year old who has say diabetes , through no fault of his own?? Before he could not change jobs or ins carriers for fear of not getting ins he could afford.

Also the point is his ins went up the same with on and not on the ACA.
Yes. I get the point. And I understand that some people don't have savings. I also understand that obamacare hasn't rescued everyone from all hardship.

We have money in savings and he has a disability policy , but that Is no the point. The point is, many people do not, and can't afford a HSA or a savings account for a time like the above. What about them. What about a 40 year old who has say diabetes , through no fault of his own?? Before he could not change jobs or ins carriers for fear of not getting ins he could afford.

Yes. I get the point. And I understand that some people don't have savings. I also understand that obamacare hasn't rescued everyone from all hardship.

It has so, if one can't get ins. they need to go to site and get on a silver share plan where they will get a lower deduct and OOP max, or they will get Medicaid. No matter the income or diagnosis they might have, they can get insurance.

It has so, if one can't get ins. they need to go to site and get on a silver share plan where they will get a lower deduct and OOP max, or they will get Medicaid. No matter the income or diagnosis they might have, they can get insurance.
Fabulous. Meanwhile, if obamacare is the answer for everybody, why is your husband still paying premiums to BCBS?

Fabulous. Meanwhile, if obamacare is the answer for everybody, why is your husband still paying premiums to BCBS?

The ACA is not in itself an insurance, its a market place for insurance. Actually I found another insurance for him on the marketplace for this year, much better than BCBS , same price but lower OOP and Deduct and not an HMO.
PS: You have to be signed up on Healthcare.gov, if for instance your situation changes in the year, then you can get a subsidy if needed.

Last edited:

Please post a link to the "Obamacare Insurance Company" website.

What's that? You can't? Because there's no such insurance company? After all these years some of you still can't figure that out? Seriously?

Ya know there is such a thing as yellow pages where ya can do the same thing............ya don't need the exchange......

Ya know there is such a thing as yellow pages where ya can do the same thing............ya don't need the exchange......

And while some of you do understand that the PPACA is not an insurance company, you still don't understand the purpose of the exchanges.

Yes it was cheaper in 2002, but ever since it has gone up 100 (give or take a few bucks either way) a month, that is 1200 a year.

I would call and they would say he is a year older (it was always a pleasant birthday gift for him, from BCBS)

Nothing has changed, I signed him up on the Health care. gov site in 2015 (just in case he should have a terrible accident or illness and would need a subsidy) and in 2016 his premium is 100 more a month.

Yes he is getting older, but the only medical condition he has had since 2002 is glaucoma, and uses a eye drop once a day, no meds , no medical condition , no reason for increases, except age.

I would cringe if he should get a dx of cancer, not be able to pay premiums (about 1000 a month) and he would not be able to change insurance due to a pre existing condition. (He is self employed)

That is why I think the ACA is good, everyone pays the same for each policy, and gets a break due to income .

Smokers pay more which is discrimination, they do not ask weight or if one smokes pot, or drinks, but only if one smokes.
I've got way too much to say about this, because I work for a medical insurance company, and specifically, at times, the ACA plans.

One thing opponents of the ACA fail to mention...is that insurance costs have been going up since 1980. The ACA did not drive up premiums anywhere near as much as increasing costs from providers.

In fact, non ACA plans offered by insurance companies, compared to ACA plans, are identical in benefits and premiums. The only difference with ACA plans is you get premium subsidy assistance based on income

Purpose of the exchange isn't to save you money. BCBS is bout as expensive as you can get.......carry on being ripped off for inferior products

He turned into a snake. I would never consider voting for him even for a dog catcher after that nasty spew. and notice they gave him Presidential Treatment. like we give a crap what the loser has to say

Purpose of the exchange isn't to save you money. BCBS is bout as expensive as you can get.......carry on being ripped off for inferior products

BCBS isn't the only option, even in the Yellow Pages.

And since accessing insurance through the exchanges is saving money for millions of Americans, your post doesn't make sense.

How many insurance cos aren't on the exchange.......if you call wasting money saving your post makes sense

d

The ACA is not in itself an insurance, its a market place for insurance. Actually I found another insurance for him on the marketplace for this year, much better than BCBS , same price but lower OOP and Deduct and not an HMO.
PS: You have to be signed up on Healthcare.gov, if for instance your situation changes in the year, then you can get a subsidy if needed.

A bit of a side vent, but I am pissed that the government sold my private, non-published phone number. The very day I registeted to look at plans (phone number is a mandatory field), I got 15 sales calls. After 3 months, I had to change my phone number of over 10 years just to get the calls to stop ... at least 6 calls every day after 3 months. Pissed!

d

A bit of a side vent, but I am pissed that the government sold my private, non-published phone number. The very day I registeted to look at plans (phone number is a mandatory field), I got 15 sales calls. After 3 months, I had to change my phone number of over 10 years just to get the calls to stop ... at least 6 calls every day after 3 months. Pissed!
I have never received a call from the Marketplace or anyone else concerning ins. I have received emails and mailings from the Marketplace only , not from anyone else.

Forum List

Back