I Welcome the Return of a Planet to Our Solar System

41m22yHAW%2BL.jpg

Settled science.
Pluto was the only planet discovered by an American; so I blame anti-Americanism for all the anti-Plutoism.

Wrong. Pluto is now understood to be but one of a family of many dwarf planets or planetisimos. Also known as a KBO. Pluto does not clear out its vicinity of other bodies.

The solar system consists of EIGHT planets:

the four inner rocky planets, two outer gas giants and two outer ice giants.
They prefer to be called small planets not dwarf planets.
"Rocky, Gas, and Ice Planets" Doesn't Show Enough Diversity

Eventually, if the oppression of Pluto continues, it will be admitted to the college of planets through Affirmative Action.

Settled science.
Pluto was the only planet discovered by an American; so I blame anti-Americanism for all the anti-Plutoism.

Wrong. Pluto is now understood to be but one of a family of many dwarf planets or planetisimos. Also known as a KBO. Pluto does not clear out its vicinity of other bodies.

The solar system consists of EIGHT planets:

the four inner rocky planets, two outer gas giants and two outer ice giants.
They prefer to be called small planets not dwarf planets.

Son, don't tell me that shit. I studied astronomy for 15 years, came within an inch of choosing astronomy as my career, have taught astronomy and still teach it informally to a group of people in my own science forum. Pluto is NOT a planet. It is a dwarf planet, or a Kuiper Belt Object. And it is staying that way.

Pluto - Wikipedia
Dwarf- Politically Correct? - Hot Topics | Forums | What to Expect

Stop being derogatory.
If Students Aren't Paid, They Are Amateurs

If his education were worth anything, he would know that criteria is plural and would have used criterion instead. His sentence sounds as bad as, "Size is not at all the only requirements for a planet/planetisimo." I don't question anyone's credentials; I question the value of contemporary credentials, which can be gained through superficial and self-indulgent study. If you take the con out of them, they are only temporary. Let the future judge, not the present fad of lazily accepting what we are told has intrinsic value.

Forum List

Back