I Watched One Atheist's Movie and the Theme Behind It was Luck

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
I recently enjoyed an atheist's movie. It's not really a religious movie. However, the director sounds like he is an atheist or has become one from his comments. See his quote below. I can tell you it's about a former tennis pro who thinks luck is the supreme determinant in life. In other words, from an atheist pov, if there is no God, then it's "luck" which is the supreme determinant for one's life. It's a neo-noir movie.

The video got good reviews and is from 2005. The first hour sets up the characters and circumstances. The last hour takes us into some twists and turns.

It's called Match Point.

"One reason for the fascination of Woody Allen's "Match Point" is that each and every character is rotten. This is a thriller not about good versus evil, but about various species of evil engaged in a struggle for survival of the fittest -- or, as the movie makes clear, the luckiest. "I'd rather be lucky than good," Chris, the tennis pro from Ireland, tells us as the movie opens, and we see a tennis ball striking the net - it is pure luck which side it falls on. Chris' own good fortune depends on just such a lucky toss of a coin." - Roger Ebert

Match Point Movie Review & Film Summary (2006) | Roger Ebert

“To you, I'm an atheist.
To God, I'm the loyal opposition.”
Woody Allen

You don't have to watch it to gather the theme, but please do as it seems to have gotten good reviews. I did learn from this atheist and now agree that luck is the supreme determinant. By that, I do not mean that one shouldn't make their own luck. They should work hard, get the most and best education they can get, use their talents to the utmost, don't be afraid to make a mistake or take chances but learn from your mistakes and failures, and so on. Later, I found out that where God comes in is that he allows us to have luck or be lucky.

Forum List

Back