I Was Wrong And I'm Very Pleased To Admit It!

How is it evidence that the OWS protest is relevant and has power?

If there was a group sitting there passively saying "America should be a communist nation" and they were pepper sprayed by the police, the police would have received the same reprimand, legal charges, etc.l

No. They wouldn't. Such a thing would probably not even receive media coverage.

The OWS media coverage of recent has nothing to do with their message and everything to do with those that have hijacked the movement and creating violence and chaos.

Also.....one who has a film of themselves being pepper sprayed as those people did, do not need media coverage to contact the DA and present evidence of excessive police force.

You want the original message of the OWS to be the catalyst....but it isnt. It has been long lost thanks to those that hijacked the movement.

The OWS media coverage of recent has nothing to do with their message and everything to do with those that have hijacked the movement and creating violence and chaos.

Also.....one who has a film of themselves being pepper sprayed as those people did, do not need media coverage to contact the DA and present evidence of excessive police force.

Good points, both of these. Re the second, social media break the control of the centralized mainstream media, so lack of media coverage need not be a serious problem -- or at least that's increasingly becoming true.

Just the same, a protest calling for a Marxist-Leninist system would not attract a lot of support, because very few Americans believe in such a system (I don't, for example, and I'm quite far left of center myself). It would be a micro-protest, and the cops could get away with treating it pretty much any way they wanted as long as nobody died.

As for the negative media coverage of Occupy, you are correct (and thanks for recognizing the "hijacking" -- I see far too many people on this forum who swallow the violent-anarchist depiction as if it were true of the movement as a whole), but I expect this success of the corporate backlash to be temporary. Occupy is shifting tactics and over the next few months you're going to see some very different activities. Camping out in public land worked, but I (and many others) believe it has outlived its usefulness. We will see less of that (or none of it) and more other things in the future, and that will I hope take the corporate establishment by surprise, just as the emergence of Occupy in the first place did.

Ask

Tell

Make

Food quality pepper spray is the court, agency and institution sanctioned and approved method of removing non-complaint arrestees across the nation.

Going hands on to arrest these law breakers results more times in injury due to the resistance.

Law broke. Resisted arrest. Spray tanned. Hooked and booked.

Nothing unlawful and nothing will come of it.

Ask

Tell

Make

Food quality pepper spray is the court, agency and institution sanctioned and approved method of removing non-complaint arrestees across the nation.

Going hands on to arrest these law breakers results more times in injury due to the resistance.

If, in fact, those protesters were ordered to move for a vlaid reason (be it occupying private property, blocking a public space that created a dangerous situation for the public (i.e. the public being forced to walk in the streets to get to their destination)..and they did not move, then yes, I see nothing wrong with using pepper spray that makes it uncomfortable for the protesters and not injury causing.

Ask

Tell

Make

If, in fact, those protesters were ordered to move for a vlaid reason (be it occupying private property, blocking a public space that created a dangerous situation for the public (i.e. the public being forced to walk in the streets to get to their destination)..and they did not move, then yes, I see nothing wrong with using pepper spray that makes it uncomfortable for the protesters and not injury causing.

They were told to protest but no overnight camping as it is illegal.

They loced arms around their camp after multiple warnings.

Spray tan time.

Good points, both of these. Re the second, social media break the control of the centralized mainstream media, so lack of media coverage need not be a serious problem -- or at least that's increasingly becoming true.

Just the same, a protest calling for a Marxist-Leninist system would not attract a lot of support, because very few Americans believe in such a system (I don't, for example, and I'm quite far left of center myself). It would be a micro-protest, and the cops could get away with treating it pretty much any way they wanted as long as nobody died.

As for the negative media coverage of Occupy, you are correct (and thanks for recognizing the "hijacking" -- I see far too many people on this forum who swallow the violent-anarchist depiction as if it were true of the movement as a whole), but I expect this success of the corporate backlash to be temporary. Occupy is shifting tactics and over the next few months you're going to see some very different activities. Camping out in public land worked, but I (and many others) believe it has outlived its usefulness. We will see less of that (or none of it) and more other things in the future, and that will I hope take the corporate establishment by surprise, just as the emergence of Occupy in the first place did.

I disagree....here in NY we had an incident in Westchester County where an officer shot and killed a young man who was at the scene of a violent outbreak (can not recall waht prompted it)....it went to the courts and it was found that the officer had not breached protocol...

The outbrak was an isolated incident and got very liuttle media coverage until the parents of the young man who was shot claimed racism and police brutality.

All evidence in court showed that the young man tried to use his car to run over the officer...leaving the officer no choiuce but to shoot the driver. Simply getting out of the way would have likely resulted in innocent people in the area being hit by the car.

But media coverage is not what borught tthis thing to court.

Ask

Tell

Make

Spray tan time.

If, in fact, this is true, then those that are saying that they will take appropriate actions to reprimand the officers are simply appeasing the media....

And you are correct....this will fade away and die and no one will recieve reprimanding.

Spray tan time.

If, in fact, this is true, then those that are saying that they will take appropriate actions to reprimand the officers are simply appeasing the media....

And you are correct....this will fade away and die and no one will recieve reprimanding.

From TIME:

It may have been time that was the ultimate obstruction in the UC Davis incident. Numerous cameras caught the students sitting in a circle in the middle of the university quad, arms linked and apparently engaged in an act of civil disobedience. While it’s known that the protesters overstayed their welcome on campus — they were told to move their campsite from the area by 3 p.m. but still remained at 5 p.m. when police showed up ........

Read more: Pepper Spray Outrage at UC Davis: When Do Police Have the Right to Use ‘Less-Lethal Force’? | NewsFeed | TIME.com

I have previously expressed the opinion that little attention would be paid to the UC Davis campus cops who sprayed passive student protesters as casually as they would spray insects. Today I am pleased to learn that those brutish, sadistic cops are facing criminal charges and their superiors are being held to account.

This is a good and extremely important precedent and is evidence that the OSW protest is relevant and has power.

:clap2:

Great news!

I have previously expressed the opinion that little attention would be paid to the UC Davis campus cops who sprayed passive student protesters as casually as they would spray insects.

I beg to differ. Generally insects are sprayed with much more vigor.

He looked like he was watering plants.
I disagree. He looked like a pest control tech spraying for roaches. I found it very disturbing and hope the cops lose their jobs over it. There was no excuse for that behavior.

Ask

Tell

Make

Here is something you should know about pepper spray:

(Excerpt)

The US Army concluded in a 1993 Aberdeen Proving Ground study that pepper spray could cause "[m]utagenic effects, carcinogenic effects, sensitization, cardiovascular and pulmonary toxicity, neurotoxicity, as well as possible human fatalities. There is a risk in using this product on a large and varied population".[10] However, the pepper spray was widely approved in the US despite the reservations of the US military scientists after it passed FBI tests in 1991. As of 1999, it was in use by more than 2000 public safety agencies.[11]

The head of the FBI's Less-Than-Lethal Weapons Program at the time of the 1991 study, Special Agent Thomas W. W. Ward, was fired by the FBI and was sentenced to two months in prison for receiving payments from a peppergas manufacturer while conducting and authoring the FBI study that eventually approved pepper spray for FBI use. Prosecutors said that from December 1989 through 1990, Ward received about $5,000 a month for a total of $57,500, from Luckey Police Products, a Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based company that was a major producer and supplier of pepper spray. The payments were paid through a Florida company owned by Ward's wife

(Close)

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepper_spray

The gratuitous use of pepper spray that we saw in the videos was absolutely unnecessary and should be perceived as categorical torture.

The US Army concluded in a 1993 Aberdeen Proving Ground study that pepper spray could cause "[m]utagenic effects, carcinogenic effects, sensitization, cardiovascular and pulmonary toxicity, neurotoxicity, as well as possible human fatalities. There is a risk in using this product on a large and varied population".[10] However, the pepper spray was widely approved in the US despite the reservations of the US military scientists after it passed FBI tests in 1991. As of 1999, it was in use by more than 2000 public safety agencies.[11]

Read more here: Pepper spray - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The gratuitous use of pepper spray that we saw in the videos was absolutely unnecessary and should be perceived as categorical torture.

i'll take the subsequent 20 or so years of sanctioned use by agencies and institutions across the nation in addition to the use thereof withstanding considerable judicial scrutiny as a good sign it is 10-4

fortunately there is an easy way to immunize oneself from experiencing pepper spray's effects

guess what it is ?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back