I Was Wrong And I'm Very Pleased To Admit It!

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
I have previously expressed the opinion that little attention would be paid to the UC Davis campus cops who sprayed passive student protesters as casually as they would spray insects. Today I am pleased to learn that those brutish, sadistic cops are facing criminal charges and their superiors are being held to account.

This is a good and extremely important precedent and is evidence that the OSW protest is relevant and has power.

Actually it is evidence that we are a nation of laws, nothing more, nothing less. But carry on with the hyperbolic outrage. It's entertaining.

They're just dirty animals. How dare they protest the Police State. Who the hell do they think they are?...American Citizens or something?

I have previously expressed the opinion that little attention would be paid to the UC Davis campus cops who sprayed passive student protesters as casually as they would spray insects. Today I am pleased to learn that those brutish, sadistic cops are facing criminal charges and their superiors are being held to account.

criminal charges ?

This is a good and extremely important precedent and is evidence that the OSW protest is relevant and has power.

link please?

link please?
I can't provide a link because I heard it from a reporter on the Thom Hartmann radio program this afternoon. If it turns out to be premature or unfounded, I apologize (but I hope it's accurate).

I'm inclined to believe it because what we all saw on the video is unquestionably an aggravated assault. Those gas dispersion devices are known to hunters as "bear spray" because they are capable of stopping a charging grizzly. Their effect is potentially harmful to humans, they inflict extreme pain and suffering and they are to be used defensively, not gratuitously as is the clear case in what we've seen. Those sprays have been referred to as a "chemical blackjack." So imagine a cop strolling down the line of those passively seated students and cracking each of them on the head with a baton.

That is first degree assault. Being a police officer does not empower one to do that at will and without cause.

I have previously expressed the opinion that little attention would be paid to the UC Davis campus cops who sprayed passive student protesters as casually as they would spray insects.

I beg to differ. Generally insects are sprayed with much more vigor.

He looked like he was watering plants.

:rofl:

good one

Being reprimanded for abuse of power has nothing to so with the legitimacy of the protesters. Criminals often sue and win for abuse despite their guilt in the situation.

Fail

Being reprimanded for abuse of power has nothing to so with the legitimacy of the protesters. Criminals often sue and win for abuse despite their guilt in the situation.

Fail

I would have to disagree. The police abused their power and the political force behind OWS is not going to sit by and let it happen. There are consequences to pay for abusing protesters under the color of law.

If the DA doesn't bring charges against the campus chef and her officers, surely the grand jury will.

Fail

I would have to disagree. The police abused their power and the political force behind OWS is not going to sit by and let it happen. There are consequences to pay for abusing protesters under the color of law.

Political influence has nothing to do with it. It was filmed and very public. There in lies your reason.

Actually it is evidence that we are a nation of laws, nothing more, nothing less. But carry on with the hyperbolic outrage. It's entertaining.

Unfortunately, no, it's not. If police brutality against left-wing protests were routinely punished appropriately, THAT would be evidence that we are a nation of laws. But the police at UC Davis could take the actions they did in the confidence that the authorities over them would let them off the hook for anything short of actual murder or maiming. They had reason for that confidence, too. (Note: that "murder or maiming" exception is a modern-day improvement over the way things were done through the first half of the 20th century. Back then, anything -- and I do mean anything, including hosing protesters down with machine-gun fire -- was accepted.)

THIS time, they were wrong. And that, I'm afraid, is evidence of exactly what Mike said: the strength of Occupy in public opinion.

Last edited:

they are great ammassers of shit. they have the biggest pile of shit (to date 200 pounds) ammased in history.. with a little yellow mixed in.

How is it evidence that the OWS protest is relevant and has power?

If there was a group sitting there passively saying "America should be a communist nation" and they were pepper sprayed by the police, the police would have received the same reprimand, legal charges, etc.

This had nothing to do with the protest. Thuis has to do with the police acting in a way that is inappropriate.l

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8775ZmNGFY8]UC Davis Chancellor Katehi walks to her car (higher quality) - YouTube[/ame]

The above is the most impressive bit of collective action I have EVER seen in a public protest.

MY hats are off to the coordinators who convinced those people to express their outrage by SILENCE.

AFter thought.

Somebody ought to kick those idiotic reporters asses.

How is it evidence that the OWS protest is relevant and has power?

If there was a group sitting there passively saying "America should be a communist nation" and they were pepper sprayed by the police, the police would have received the same reprimand, legal charges, etc.l

No. They wouldn't. Such a thing would probably not even receive media coverage.

Forum List

Back