I was thinking of this today, what's the point of a college education, with you tube / internet ???

I ran into a problem with a Cummings generator and I have really never delt with them..i just googled it and used you tube and found the solution..
Somebody gotta be smart enough to post the video. Might as well be you so study.

Dude don't even fuck with me as a 53 year old on fixing machinery you couldn't even hold my tool belt.
Dude, you don't know me or who I am or what I do. Kinda stupid to jump to that conclusion ain't it? Not to mention insulting someone who was trying to make a positive comment.

I swear, this place is full of idjits.

idjits? You are Bobby Singer. :)
Lol, no. I got that saying from my Dad, but now I do remember him saying that on "supernatural". I quit watching that a ways back, did they bring Bobby back from the dead again yet?

They brought him back as a ghost for a little bit... then I think he came back one more time. Talk is, Jeffrey Dean Morgan who played their dad wants to come back somehow before the show ends.

Somebody gotta be smart enough to post the video. Might as well be you so study.

Dude don't even fuck with me as a 53 year old on fixing machinery you couldn't even hold my tool belt.
Dude, you don't know me or who I am or what I do. Kinda stupid to jump to that conclusion ain't it? Not to mention insulting someone who was trying to make a positive comment.

Lol, no. I got that saying from my Dad, but now I do remember him saying that on "supernatural". I quit watching that a ways back, did they bring Bobby back from the dead again yet?

No idea who Bobby Singer is but you hear "eejit" in Ireland.

All you are telling me you have a man crush and I still have a girl crush on Abbey.

140305105926-11-l-a-law-restricted-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

one more thing .....

if we are talking about millennials going to the University??????????????? .... *big sigh here*:auiqs.jpg:

then

well

LOL.....

!@#$%^&* > that's cryptic enough ok?:auiqs.jpg:

giphy.gif

All you are telling me you have a man crush and I still have a girl crush on Abbey.

View attachment 193614

^^ :alcoholic:

SMFH -- This is exactly why I never drink. This is where you end up.

View attachment 193614

Says the guy who fucks up his own blue state and runs to a red state and complains ..

Again what's the point of a college education in the year 2018?

One thing an employer likes about a college education is that it shows your ability to follow through on long term plans and finish things.

You may not need college for what you do, but if you go into a highly technical field you cannot learn from youtube or google in these areas for example:
How to design a turbine blade, air foil, DNA analyzer, GPS system, quantum computer, space telescope, long bridge, 50 story building, etc.

You need guidance from experts on what math and science is necessary to prepare for these fields. Even then you start out as a novice in the job world. At that point Google might be helpful to recall misc side issues such as data on materials more obscure math theorems, detailed properties of chemicals, prior research in your area, etc.

I ran into a problem with a Cummings generator and I have really never delt with them..i just googled it and used you tube and found the solution..

Well whoopee!!! You arrogant little twerp, I have been working on machinery longer than you have been alive. Know-it-all assholes like you are the kind of people that get themselves and other people maimed or killed working on the industrial machinery that I work on. Yes, that is right, I presently work, 74, and work 48 hrs a week when I don't get called in for more hours. And, over the years, have taken Biology, Geology, Physics, Chemistry, and four quarters of calculus. As well as the necessary electives. And they do not have even half the problems I encounter working in a steel mill on youtube.

College teaches one to think, and consider the basics of the problems. You learn to look for causes and to fix that instead of just addressing the symptoms of the underlaying problem. Also, it just plain a joy to learn new things, to get that 'ah so!' feeling when all of the sudden you understand something new. The fact that you feel it is necessary to denigrate those who have taken the time and effort to better their knowledge of the world around them indicates that you fear those who take the time and effort to actually learn something. Effort you are obviously too lazy to put out.
A serious question here is the internet making college obsolete?

A serious question here is the internet making college obsolete?
No, But it may make tech schools obsolete! College teaches how to create things that don't yet exist.
No, it will not make tech school obsolete. For most of the teachers in tech schools are masters at their trades, and they know little tricks they simply don't teach on youtube. And I am envious of the young apprentices that are learning things on machines that weren't even science fiction when I was a kid.

I can fix anything , program and robotics on the market ..and with the internet and you tube..well nothing I can't fix..you can go to message boards and find out how others fix it, down load manual books, wiring schematics , hydraulic schematics.

So?

What you going to do when you are out in the wilderness with no internet service and your truck breaks down?

I am 53. .. not 4 years old.I
Then stop acting as if you are four years old, and rebelling against the idea of having to learn anything. Colleges will exist long after you have ceased to exist.

Would you trust someone to operate on you or to construct the bridge you drive over that only watched youtube. Get serious man. Damn.

Btw we are talking solving problems with equipment already manufactured/ in place.
Really? I have had to modify machinery to do a different job many times, and consider the speed, strength, and way in which the machinery worked. No youtubes for that. You have to do the math and call on experience with similiar machiney. Trig, geometry, and had I had vector calculus at that time it would have been helpful. Your ignorant rant against education is simply and indication that you don't have any.

53? Good god man you look 85.
Kind of a troll post girl.
And what you said to me wasn't?

Pot, meet kettle.

Kind of bored of you, shouldn't you be trolling Matthew or something? Your IQ level is kind of low .
If my IQ is "kinda low" then you are in serious trouble my friend because you are completely outmatched.

Go insult somebody else for trying to make a positive comment and bugger off.

Dude I can tear you apart with just my left nut tied behind my back...

Try me snowflake..i have a bottle of vodka and a 12 Pack of bud light..
Already, eh? Well, that explains a lot of things. LOL

View attachment 193614

Says the guy who fucks up his own blue state and runs to a red state and complains ..

So we have less ignoramuses like you.

There is a huge difference between having knowledge of facts, and the ability to understand concepts.

Yes, but the point is that college mainly gives you a lot of facts from books and lesson material (which you can get elsewhere on your own) and the professor, who largely aides in the interpretation of them and passes out the tests. But the ability to understand, the ability to think, you are BORN with that, its called native intelligence, and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear just by sending him to the university.

There is a sad difference between being "educated" and being intelligent.

There is a huge difference between having knowledge of facts, and the ability to understand concepts.

Yes, but the point is that college mainly gives you a lot of facts from books and lesson material (which you can get elsewhere on your own) and the professor, who largely aides in the interpretation of them and passes out the tests. But the ability to understand, the ability to think, you are BORN with that, its called native intelligence, and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear just by sending him to the university.

There is a sad difference between being "educated" and being intelligent.

Not sure what university you've been to, but the ones I have been to, pretty much all courses after the freshman year there is a lot of discussion and not just regurgitating facts.

Forum List

Back