I was there! and so was she, thank God

Ha! Ha! Thanks Allie
He got a new gas powered bicycle. He is really enjoying it.
When one of his legs gives out on it, at least it won't crush him like a Harley would.

Back in February, I started a thread titled "I was There"
I talked about Woodstock back in 1969 and the angel who likely saved my life.
The person who pulled me out of the mud, who I only remember as a smallish girl with dirty blond hair just happens to be a member here at USMB. For 42 years, when ever I related the tale, I referred to her only as "my angel". I had nothing more; no recollection of a conversation, no real memory of her face.
When I told the story, she sent me a private message, saying she had pulled a young man out of the mud at the Festival.
After several days of discussion, it became clear to me, that after 42 years, I had found my angel. However, she requested that I not reveal her identity.
So, out of respect for her wishes, I more or less dropped the subject.
Fast forward 3 months. A couple days ago, I posted a photo of me driving a farm tractor. She saw the picture and recognizes my nose and eyes and is sure that I am the man she pulled out of knee deep mud back in August of 1969. She has given me permission to go public.

I'd like to present my nomination for the guardian angel of USMB, peach 174.

Thank you, Angel!

What a good story! :thup:.. Small world!

I call it KARMA.
It was meant to be .
Something came into Ernie's head to post his experience and when he talked about the girl pulling him out,I knew it could have been me.
It was a closure that he needed and he found it.
I just love the way life works sometimes. :)

It was cool. Though if you needed information you had to go to the library which was invariably a 10 mile walk through hip deep snow and up hill both ways. Walk out the door, and you were unreachable. Break down on the road and you had to fix it yourself or walk. No cell phone to call AAA or daddy. Yup the music was great. Beatles, Stones, Cream The Dead James Brown, Aretha Franklin on and on. It was cool growing up in the 60's, but for some odd reason, I don't care for mud.

And if you wanted to watch a show, you had to watch it while it aired. During Wizard of Oz, everybody stayed home. And if you need to change the channel, you had to walk all the way across the living room, in 10 feet of snow, uphill, both ways, and when you got there, there weren't any of these whimpy buttons, no, you had to actually crank that channel by hand, and if you were lucky you had more than two choices of stations. And if you wanted to watch something after midnight, forget it, they all signed off.

Do you know why 7/11 is called 7/11? Because it was the first store that opened up at 7am and closed at 11pm. Finally, if you got a craving for Ice Cream at 10pm, you could actually go out and get some.

Yeah! you punks! No cable TV, no calculators either we actually had to learn multiplication tables and logarithms and how to use a slide rule.
When you changed the TV channel, sometimes you had to re-aim the antenna. Do you punks even know what a TV antenna is? Have you ever seen a test pattern. Hell have you ever seen black and white TV?

Yeah, funnily enough because I'm from a third world country I did get to see a lot of black-and-white TV with no remotes and few channels and giant knobs, but it was the tail-end of the era back in the early 90s when I was just a wee young lad. No doubt that things were much harder and obnoxious, and most things took way more effort than they do nowadays. But think about the other side too. You actually had to GO to the library to learn anything. And once there you might as well stay as long as possible. Nowadays you can stay sitting right on your chair your entire life, fattening, leave everything to the last minute and spend at least 40 minutes out of every hour of work it would've taken to do pretty much nothing. In fact I just recently graduated from university and through the entire time I could not comprehend how a mere 20 years ago people actually had to go to the library and spend hours there, and type on a typewriter, and if you screwed up you had to type the whole page again. I could literally do all my papers within 24 hours, without leaving my room - I could count the times I went to the library in 4 years probably with my two hands, but of course, I barely remember any of them now, cuz they took so little effort relatively speaking.

You used to leave the house and be unreachable, now you're always reachable to everyone. If the car breaks down and you're phoneless you really are screwed because you obviously don't have a clue as to how to fix it. You used to have to watch what was on with the 'ole family; nowadays everybody sits in their little compartments watching their own little screens... alone. I went to a job interview recently where I had to do a 3 digit by 3 digit multiplication by hand. I literally didn't remember how to do it properly, I think it might have been at least a decade since I had to multiply a 3 digit number by another one by hand. And most telling of all, I STILL GOT THE JOB!!! :eek:

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, and maybe I'm just idealizing a past I never knew either way, but yeah, it's like every generation we become more and more like cyborgs than humans, entirely dependent on technology to do every detail, and it's going to get "worse" (or better depending on your perspective). Anyway, we'll manage somehow.

Carry on!

A private message exchange got me thinking about this thread. I've just enjoyed the last 10 minutes re reading it. For those of you that missed it first time around, I figured I'd bump it. Start at page 1.

Back in February, I started a thread titled "I was There"
I talked about Woodstock back in 1969 and the angel who likely saved my life.
The person who pulled me out of the mud, who I only remember as a smallish girl with dirty blond hair just happens to be a member here at USMB. For 42 years, when ever I related the tale, I referred to her only as "my angel". I had nothing more; no recollection of a conversation, no real memory of her face.
When I told the story, she sent me a private message, saying she had pulled a young man out of the mud at the Festival.
After several days of discussion, it became clear to me, that after 42 years, I had found my angel. However, she requested that I not reveal her identity.
So, out of respect for her wishes, I more or less dropped the subject.
Fast forward 3 months. A couple days ago, I posted a photo of me driving a farm tractor. She saw the picture and recognizes my nose and eyes and is sure that I am the man she pulled out of knee deep mud back in August of 1969. She has given me permission to go public.

I'd like to present my nomination for the guardian angel of USMB, peach 174.

Thank you, Angel!

Great Post Ernie,you and the :eusa_angel: are Real Heros

Yeah! you punks! No cable TV, no calculators either we actually had to learn multiplication tables and logarithms and how to use a slide rule.
When you changed the TV channel, sometimes you had to re-aim the antenna. Do you punks even know what a TV antenna is? Have you ever seen a test pattern. Hell have you ever seen black and white TV?
I remember those days all too well. No electric in the house, well water, no phone, no TV. Outhouses and dirt roads. But, no-one locked their doors.Or their cars.

Where did you post the pic of you on the tractor? Wanna see. Link please.

Here ya go

ok, there is a very SUSPICIOUS resemblance between that beard sitting on that tractor and that Santa beard.....

hmmmmm....

hmmmmm.........

hmmmmmm.............

Oh, shit, are you whom I think you are?????

:)

Interesting question...
When I was in residential water systems, quite frequently this time of the year, I was asked the same question by youngsters.

I came up with a standard answer. I would be wearing a Santa hat, just to make the connection easier.
A little girl would stand there watching me for a couple minutes, intent on what I was doing and finally muster the courage to ask if I was Santa Clause
I would reply, "No honey, I'm not Santa. I'm his younger brother."
This was met with wide eyed stares and the little girl would run to her mother and drag her back proclaiming "The man is Santa's brother!"
So now I have a little girl, maybe a brother and a mother standing right there. After a bit of back and forth, I'd ask the little ones if they knew of the lists that Santa makes.
They would pipe up about naughty and nice lists and I'd glance at mom and wink.
I'd say, "Santa keeps the list of who's nice, but gives me the list of who's been naughty."
And mommy's name is on the naughty list this year.
Of course, the kids would giggle, but so would mom, but for different reasons.

Forum List

Back