"I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live"

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I bet most politicians don't know whose famous quote this is? You can reply to this post acting like you know what you are talking about, but I still think you googled or binged the answer!

I bet most politicians don't know whose famous quote this is? You can reply to this post acting like you know what you are talking about, but I still think you googled or binged the answer!

Don't act like a sanctimonious prick, some folks here have an education.

"I'll be back!"

I bet nobody knows whom said this famous quote without Google or Bing. :lol:

oh my bad my intentions weren't to offend anybody. I take it you are a conservative democrat?

oh my bad my intentions weren't to offend anybody. I take it you are a conservative democrat?

Nope. I was a registered Republican until about twelve years ago, now I hold no allegiance to any particular political party.

And I wasn't offended.

Nope. I was a registered Republican until about twelve years ago, now I hold no allegiance to any particular political party.

And I wasn't offended.
Dang I thought I nailed it. Even know democrats are conservative and republicans liberal. I thought I would give it a shot.

I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live.
  • Attributed to Socrates, but reported in Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations (1989) as unverified in his writings or in interpretive writings about him. Possibly this is an interpretation of a passage from Plato, The Trial and Death of Socrates (The Apology), trans. F. J. Church, p. 61 (1880, reprinted 1972): "I do not venture to come forward in the assembly, and take part in public councils…. For, Athenians, it is quite certain that if I had attempted to take part in politics, I should have perished at once and long ago, without doing any good either to you or to myself. And do not be vexed with me for telling the truth".

I was really too honest a man to be a politician and live.
  • Attributed to Socrates, but reported in Respectfully Quoted: A Dictionary of Quotations (1989) as unverified in his writings or in interpretive writings about him. Possibly this is an interpretation of a passage from Plato, The Trial and Death of Socrates (The Apology), trans. F. J. Church, p. 61 (1880, reprinted 1972): "I do not venture to come forward in the assembly, and take part in public councils…. For, Athenians, it is quite certain that if I had attempted to take part in politics, I should have perished at once and long ago, without doing any good either to you or to myself. And do not be vexed with me for telling the truth".
Way to copy and paste your argument. I'm not vexed at all, Socrates takes credit for the quote. Since you brought that to my intention, I did a little digging and found nothing to support that it was a quote by Plato. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong please correct me

Forum List

Back