I Was Ready For Google's Autonomous Vehicle Commuting In 2018 But It Hit A Bus

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
Would you ride autonomously? I would and was ready to in 2018. Have a long distance commute, i.e. over 100 miles, twice-a-week.

Apparently, it hit a bus when it thought it would yield. However, the car did not appear to have the right-of-way.

Google autonomous vehicle: how do Google's self-driving cars work? - TomoNews

Driverless Google Car Crashes For The First Time Ever

Would you ride autonomously? I would and was ready to in 2018. Have a long distance commute, i.e. over 100 miles, twice-a-week.

Apparently, it hit a bus when it thought it would yield. However, the car did not appear to have the right-of-way.

Google autonomous vehicle: how do Google's self-driving cars work? - TomoNews

Driverless Google Car Crashes For The First Time Ever

We're getting there. 6 years later

Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” Beta, which has been gradually rolling out over the past couple of years, is now available to anyone who’s paid for the feature in North America, CEO Elon Musk has announced. “Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta is now available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen,” Musk tweeted, “assuming you have bought this option.”
The rollout of the beta software kicked off in 2020 with a small number of customers and has since gradually expanded to be available to around 160,000 drivers as of October this year. Getting access to the beta has typically required that drivers hit a minimum safety threshold with Tesla’s built-in Safety Score feature as well as logging 100 miles using the company’s advanced driver-assist feature Autopilot.

I have been obsessed with this since Oct 1 when I started driving 4 hours each way up north MI to go hunting. Wouldn't it be great to just set the coordinates, then be able to do other things? Even take a nap? I think this will work best if one day everyone drives like this. It will be interesting how we transition from driver to driverless cars.

Autonomous vehicles are obviously the future. And it will be pretty nice when it becomes the norm.
Maybe not in my lifetime, but certainly in my childrens.

We're getting there. 6 years later

Tesla’s “Full Self-Driving” Beta, which has been gradually rolling out over the past couple of years, is now available to anyone who’s paid for the feature in North America, CEO Elon Musk has announced. “Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta is now available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen,” Musk tweeted, “assuming you have bought this option.”
The rollout of the beta software kicked off in 2020 with a small number of customers and has since gradually expanded to be available to around 160,000 drivers as of October this year. Getting access to the beta has typically required that drivers hit a minimum safety threshold with Tesla’s built-in Safety Score feature as well as logging 100 miles using the company’s advanced driver-assist feature Autopilot.

I have been obsessed with this since Oct 1 when I started driving 4 hours each way up north MI to go hunting. Wouldn't it be great to just set the coordinates, then be able to do other things? Even take a nap? I think this will work best if one day everyone drives like this. It will be interesting how we transition from driver to driverless cars.
Tesla seems to have a problem with motorcycles and emergency vehicles when in self driving mode.

Tesla seems to have a problem with motorcycles and emergency vehicles when in self driving mode.
Honesty, 6 years later we don't seem any closer to being able to relax in our cars as they drive us to our destinations. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime.

You know how a lot of kids today don't drive they just uber? Imagine in the future an entire generation of kids who don't know how to drive. They call uber. And uber is a self driving car.

Imagine how fewer cars will have to be produced? And how many less tail pipes will be pumping out poison? In fact these will be battery cars.

Trains may come back. I could see myself taking a train up north to my hunting cabin. 4 hours away. But they make too many stops!!!!

sealybobo

Cuz it's garbage-in and garbage-out bullshit!!
Not really. I purchased a Ebike rather than a motorcycle or moped. I should get 500 charges. Let's say I ride 25 times a year. That's 20 years I'll be riding my Ebike long distances and having fun. Peddling but not killing myself. And not killing others with my tail pipe.

Not really. I purchased a Ebike rather than a motorcycle or moped. I should get 500 charges. Let's say I ride 25 times a year. That's 20 years I'll be riding my Ebike long distances and having fun. Peddling but not killing myself. And not killing others with my tail pipe.

I see what you did here.
You changed the topic to E-bikes.
Simpleton.

Bikes are the fastest growing form of E transportation

It's not garbage. Or are you saying AI is garbage?

Explain garbage in garbage out please.

AI is based in HI (human intelligence).
HI has it's limitations. So as far as perfecting autonomous vehicles, I don't think so.

AI is based in HI (human intelligence).
HI has it's limitations. So as far as perfecting autonomous vehicles, I don't think so.
What if the numbers are better than human errors? In other words, you're safer with AI than you are driving yourself.

One day you won't have a choice. It'll be like the stick shift. Not even an option anymore.

Imagine you're on the highway. Before you'd be driving 75 mph but your car and every other car drives 65 mph. There are never traffic jams like we have with humans because humans gawk at the accident. One person taps their break and that sends a ripple back 200 cars all having to tap their breaks.

No more bottle necks.

Just like your phone knows now which is the best route to take because of traffic, these AI cars will know too. Your car won't even take you to bad traffic.

I would nap or smoke weed and play with my dog.

Forum List

Back