I was looking back through the archives (Reflective post)

I think it's great Modbert is interested in politics at such a young age.

He got picked on, people quit here when he was made a mod, and people call him names and such, but he keeps on ticking away!

You can't expect a teenager to know it all, though they always think they do. ;)

Props to you Modbert, it's good to hear a young voice on here.

(and no, I still won't let Mini EZ join, even though she wants to. I told her when she's 18 she could) :lol:

He picks on people too. He's the main guy who picked on me because of my age.

And strolling bones calls him 'spermbert' or something because of his age.

Sorry Willow, we love you and you know it!

I appreciate it. I can't speak for bones, all I know is what he did to me and that's all I speak of. I don't dislike people for no reason.

Whenever she does, I'm reminded of the time when Neubarth had a picture of himself in his profile picture with the title < me in '89. A bunch of posters including myself changed our profile picture to something with the title < Me in '89. I changed mine to a picture of a sperm cell. :lol:

I appreciate it. I can't speak for bones, all I know is what he did to me and that's all I speak of. I don't dislike people for no reason.

Now Willow, no need to rewrite history. From day one, you were one of the posters who always brought my age into every argument. One day, I made a joke saying you were old in return. You then told me you were ___ and since then I've made a couple jokes when you referenced my age.

That being said, this goes back to what I was saying when I was a bit confrontational at times. I never meant any ill will as I've said before and if it did make you upset then I apologize for that.

Now Willow, no need to rewrite history. From day one, you were one of the posters who always brought my age into every argument. One day, I made a joke saying you were old in return. You then told me you were ___ and since then I've made a couple jokes when you referenced my age.

That being said, this goes back to what I was saying when I was a bit confrontational at times. I never meant any ill will as I've said before and if it did make you upset then I apologize for that.

I didn't rewrite history. I told it just the way it was.

Thanks for the apology.

I was looking back through the archives and it put me in a reflective mood. So fair warning, this post may or may not be a little long.

I'll have been on USMB three years this September. When I first joined, I was 17 and the youngest member by quite a bit to say the least. I'm pretty sure I still am. :lol:

While many people my age really didn't care about politics whatsoever, I was on here at times posting my thoughts on the political happening of the day. Looking back through the archives has given me an opportunity that not many my age have, being able to see how much I have changed here in that time.

I was a lot more confrontational and looking back I can see I made the mistake of taking things personally. Reading my posts on some subjects, looking back I come off as very naive and headstrong. That's not to say my heart wasn't in the right place, because it was. However, with more knowledge and more experience comes some pretty strong realizations about not only myself but my beliefs.

I see some of my posts (about then Candidate Obama, Israel/Palestine and my idea about how Israel can handle it, and religion) come to mind. As do some of my posts about the Death Penalty and guns.

Another example is I look back and see my involvement in the religion/ethics threads and at times I want to grab my younger self when reading and go "Shut the hell up." It probably doesn't help that I was going through a phrase of sorts where I was unsure about where I stood on religion.

I can happily say though that I have long come to terms with all of that and realized that a black and white view of the world is the wrong way to go. Nobody and no institution is perfect, however, those imperfections certainly don't determine the entire character of either the individual or institution.

Does that mean I'm recanting everything I said before this post? Not at all. On some issues, I was dead wrong. On others, I feel I'm still right. On some issues, I feel I was right but I went the wrong way of expressing those views. It helps that with more experience and time, I like to think I have become better at expressing my views and trying to be more mature about it.

Do I regret a fair amount of my former posts? I do in the sense that I wish I was never that naive in some cases. However, I rather post here instead of some Liberal echo chamber where I would never be challenged on anything I say. If I were to do that, I feel I would limit myself as to how much I can learn. I would also probably become intellectually lazy.

So I'm making this post as a thank you to those posters, both still here and no longer on USMB who put up with me as how I was when I first got here and still teach me things today.

I want to give special thanks to Allie, Annie, Article, Care, CG, Crimson, Del, Dis, Divecon, Diuretic, EZ, Elvis, Foxfyre, Gunny, Hjmick, Jillian, Jon, Luissa, Mani, Missourian, Navy, Paulie, Pilgrim, Radio, Ravi, Si Modo, Shogun, Toro, Uscitizen, Valerie, Zoom, and many others who I haven't named. I may not have always agreed with all of you on every issue (and some of you rarely), but you have certainly helped me grow as a person.

That being said, what I hope for is that three years from now when I look back at my posts from around today, I don't have to go "What a moron" too much. If I can accomplish that much, I'll be happy. :lol:

&#x202a;david bowie - changes&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

A deep heart felt look at your passed that's going to haunt you into old age.

You're going to with you had owned a journal when your kids get online. :lol:

Aside from my usual sarcasm.... Good on you for taking the time to reflect.

and I'd rep you for it, but that dancing Elmo thing freaks me out. :razz:

So, you're 20 huh? Pretty level headed, even if a bit off politically speaking. A little age and experience will cure you of that. Call your parents up tonight and tell 'em thanks for bringing up a good kid.

He picks on people too. He's the main guy who picked on me because of my age.

Exactly, that's how i feel about you. I dislike you for a myriad of reasons.:cool:

Forum List

Back