I was hoping I wouldn't have to see this 'til at least Dec 1...

My wife misses the white stuff. She is a canadian, I met her in the NW, and we came to the central coast for family (mine that is) reasons. I too miss the weather, because, there is no weather, oh wait, it did chill to 65 today.

Enjoy it, embrace it. Weather is like life, it always brings new things, hopefully more good than bad. My first year in undergrad in the NW I HATED the cold, swore I would never go back (walla walla). I did. Met my wife, well soon to be heehe, and she showed my all of the mountains, outdoors, kayaking that I never saw down here. In fact when to post grad school in salem just for her. Thought I was going to stay, but, well, family. I have a handicap brother and well, he is one of two for my mom. That being, the NW and Canada and all its seasons, should never be discounted. The cold crisp air is like a wonderful awakening. There is no freshness like it.

Yurt.

:thup:

My wife misses the white stuff. She is a canadian, I met her in the NW, and we came to the central coast for family (mine that is) reasons. I too miss the weather, because, there is no weather, oh wait, it did chill to 65 today.

Enjoy it, embrace it. Weather is like life, it always brings new things, hopefully more good than bad. My first year in undergrad in the NW I HATED the cold, swore I would never go back (walla walla). I did. Met my wife, well soon to be heehe, and she showed my all of the mountains, outdoors, kayaking that I never saw down here. In fact when to post grad school in salem just for her. Thought I was going to stay, but, well, family. I have a handicap brother and well, he is one of two for my mom. That being, the NW and Canada and all its seasons, should never be discounted. The cold crisp air is like a wonderful awakening. There is no freshness like it.

Yurt.

I hope you don't take this personally, Yurt. But you're fucking nuts.:D

Yurt.

You must not have grown up in a snowy climate.

I hate winter. I was born and raised here (MN) and the only thing that is keeping me here is my husband and family and the fact I never want to sell this house.

How can I embrace a season that makes me so damn miserable with shivering, needing to bulky layers to keep warm, freezing wind that dries out your nose so it hurts every time you even touch it? How can I embrace a season that makes me stay inside the house when I love to be outside? How can I embrace a season that makes driving a living Hell, worse than road construction? How can I embrace a season that makes my car look like crap nearly all season because of the salt and sand, and I can't wash it when I want to because it is likely the doors and locks will freeze shut? How can I embrace a season that makes my house harder to keep clean because of the same reason?

Winter is only enjoyable at Thanksgiving and Christmas. After that, it sucks again.

buy it and put it in the backyard, so at least you won't feel stupid with it in the front yard.

there's one at sam's club that's a mini carousel inside with Christmas characters riding reindeer (i think) and they actually go around like a real carousel...

i prefer the standard lights and lighted-wire displays. classic and if done tastefully, they can be really pretty.

I LOVE lights. Just not Chevy Chase lights. I go for the more natural-looking stuff, like wreaths, bows, evergreen swags.

I hate winter. I was born and raised here (MN) and the only thing that is keeping me here is my husband and family and the fact I never want to sell this house.

How can I embrace a season that makes me so damn miserable with shivering, needing to bulky layers to keep warm, freezing wind that dries out your nose so it hurts every time you even touch it? How can I embrace a season that makes me stay inside the house when I love to be outside? How can I embrace a season that makes driving a living Hell, worse than road construction? How can I embrace a season that makes my car look like crap nearly all season because of the salt and sand, and I can't wash it when I want to because it is likely the doors and locks will freeze shut? How can I embrace a season that makes my house harder to keep clean because of the same reason?

Winter is only enjoyable at Thanksgiving and Christmas. After that, it sucks again.

But snow is PRETTY. :)

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/95621,1ND3-13.article

It's beginning to look a lot like ... winter?

October 13, 2006

By Lauren FitzPatrick Staff writer

Flip-flops met fur this week as temperatures dropped a whopping 50 degrees over five days -- giving the Southland a taste of all four seasons and leaving some areas briefly coated with snow early Thursday.

It was the earliest measurable snow on record in Chicago, as 0.3 inches fell at O'Hare International Airport, according to the National Weather Service. Some areas in the north and northwest suburbs reported about 1 inch of accumulation.

So much for Sunday's lovely 80-degree sunshine.

The previous early snow record was Oct. 18, 1989, when 0.2 inches accumulated at O'Hare, according to the weather service.

Though a little ahead of schedule, Thursday's snow is not necessarily a harbinger of a snowy winter, NWS meteorologist Nathan Marsili said.

He said the unusually cold weather Thursday -- a low of 30 and a high of 39 -- was caused by a polar low in Canada descending southward into the Great Lakes region.

"That's going to shift back northward in a few days here" resulting in a gradual warm-up, Marsili said.

Thursday's high and low temperatures were not records for Oct. 12 in the Chicago area, but very few people are still around to remember when it last was so cold so early. The Oct. 12 high (64 degrees is normal) reached only 38 in 1909 and 1917, the weather service said.

The surprising snowfall had commuters going crazy Thursday morning. Traffic slowed along Interstate 55, where heavy flurries at one point reduced visibility to only a few vehicles ahead.

Sloppy quarter-sized flakes chased people across the parking lot of the Cook County courthouse in Bridgeview, where, once in the lobby, they tried in vain to shake the snow from their coats.

Snowflakes resembling Styrofoam BBs fell farther south in Matteson and Frankfort Square, sticking to cars and coating grassy areas.

But the unseasonably chilly weather won't last. The forecast calls for a warming trend, with the high reaching the low-to-mid 60s on Monday.

I agree... I love Autumn and winter up until New Year's. After that, it's like living in Mordor until about April... and then it's touch and go.

I agree... I love Autumn and winter up until New Year's. After that, it's like living in Mordor until about April... and then it's touch and go.

I really used to love winter, but it's been a long time. I like snow falling from Dec. 21-Jan 2. Well, other than snow days! Yeah, if enough of the stuff would fall, until 8 am, then temp would jump to 60, I'd be very happy! :laugh:

Forum List

Back