I was a ward of the state as a child. I got 0 help beyond fostercare

Sure ideally, paying for an illegal alien child to go to school is a good cause, and so are programs for at risk children to stay out of trouble, but there are hundreds of good causes to spend on, and the government shouldn't force tax payers to pay for all of them.

The more we provide for children in illegal alien families, the more we give incentives for people to violate our boarders.

As far as jail is concerned, if you do the crime, you do the time, period, no excuses..

The at risk youth thing, really should be dealt with, more so by charities, rather than taxpayer, but charities, of course, should not be allowed to support schooling for illegal's.

I'm not saying the answer is deporting everyone, but there are families that need to be deported..A path to citizenship also needs to be in place for some..

I am a pragmatist. In many families, some children were born elsewhere and some were born here. We cannot say "The 5 year old can attend school, but his older sister cannot". Until we revoke birthright citizenship and/or get serious about deportation, all children should be educated K-12. It's in everyone's best interest because they are not leaving on their own. However, no state has the "right to a college education" and to offer entitlements (such as in-state tuition and scholarships) not afforded to US citizens, is simply wrong and I don't see how anyone could defend it.

the us as a society could care less about kids...they are not important to us...they dont vote nor do they make money.....sad isnt it that this great country worries about educating children...but really does nothing to do it.

This is what the DREAM ACT is all about.

We have kids living in this country who, though no fault of their own, live here, know no other land but this nation, but who are at risk of being deported to become strangers in what for them is a strange land.

Technically, legally, they might be Mexcans or central Americans.

But realistically they are Americans given that they lived their entire lives here, and have no memory of that foreign land.

I realize that some of us just hate hispanics, but these kids are American Hispanics.

I consider myself a conservative republican yet I don't like the way Perry is treated on the Mexican child issue. It pisses me off to see others jump all over him for wanting to help children. Others say let them pay. Well let's not play stupid. If their parents are here against the law they can't afford a better life for them. We haven't secured the border so what are we to do with the kids?

I was a severely disadvantaged youth. I went from juvenile prison to group homes to foster care to ultimately winding up in adult prison in Hutchinson State Penitentiary at the age of 17. 3 years of my life was wasted because at a young age no one took an interest and gave me some proper direction.
I was far worse than anything most of you can imagine and much worse than most Mexican youths. It's a shame that the attention and direction I needed as a youth could only be delivered by a penal institution.
We don't have to subject the next group of children to that scenario. Most, if not all of you, have no idea how hard it can be when your parents are completely fucked up. WHY SUBJECT ANY HUMAN CHILD TO ANY UNDUE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS.

I got out of prison at nearly the age of 21. I applied for student loans and was denied, time after time. If anyone needed a leg up I did. So don't give me that bs line about Americans first. It's money first, and because I was a risk I wasn't worth it. Well I'm here to tell you I wasn't a risk. I was a misguided left behind child that needed a break and I didn't find it.

Obviously I ultimately made it. But it wasn't because I was American. It was because I struggled and worked my ass off to goto school and work and learn several trades. No child should be subjected to the bullshit our govt puts them through when their parents aren't responsible.

I'm a firm believer in locking down the boarders. In fact maybe more than most because my business is often undercut by immigrants. That being said, they aren't the children taking my jobs. It's uncle Sam taking my job through his incompetence.

Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents. And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Ps. I said way more than I wanted to but I felt it was needed to give context. And if you only come in here to be partisan about the issue...... Fuck you

Had a rough time of it growing up too. We were dirt poor, got my first job at 9 bagging groceries, fishmonger at 13, father died at 16...worked my way through school.

Can relate to to this...in a big way. We were so poor I didn't eat anything solid for week stretches sometimes. Made something called "Blood Soup"..ketchsup and hot water.

I agree with you here.

The child becomes the adult, the adult sees life through glasses that are tinted in all sort of ways. This idea that tough love and/or poverty makes one better is BS. It depends so much on what comes next and where one starts. In our society if you look a certain way things are stacked against you. I am old enough to have seen major change but major change is still needed. But I will say a conservative republican who cares about children is an oxymoron given the reality of today, one or a few people's opinion change nothing. It is what you do that matters and not what you say. Feeling holy doesn't make you holy. This week in politics - and data on poverty - showed that again.

"Anyone who thinks sitting in church can make you a Christian must also think that sitting in a garage can make you a car." Garrison Keillor

Last edited:
This is what the DREAM ACT is all about.

We have kids living in this country who, though no fault of their own, live here, know no other land but this nation, but who are at risk of being deported to become strangers in what for them is a strange land.

Technically, legally, they might be Mexcans or central Americans.

But realistically they are Americans given that they lived their entire lives here, and have no memory of that foreign land.

I realize that some of us just hate hispanics, but these kids are American Hispanics.

As much as I support the DREAM act, your line about them being completely american and knowing nothing about Mexico is completely false. I stayed with my friends family for about 9 months (they where Mexican) and the wife doesn't speak anything but spanish (she's been here for 47 years) the kids mostly only care about speaking spanish until they are 5 or 6, then they have to struggle to learn english that their parents didn't really teach them. You can see this in most k-12 schools in the ESL classes.

They grow up in Hispanic communities, mostly only come into contact with hispanics, and care little for american heritage and values. I'm not saying they aren't proud to be american, but they know little of America as a nation.

The DREAM act gives them access to military service as a path to citizenship. I fully support this (As long as it's for the Army, as the Air Force has enough problems with how many people it has).

you were lucky....you didnt see your time in jail as a 'training camp' most do.....you worked hard to break a cycle....no one is negating that...but again you were lucky....you wanted to get out of the jail system and by sheer will did it...but your point is well taken.....you did this without any safety net.

I consider myself a conservative republican yet I don't like the way Perry is treated on the Mexican child issue. It pisses me off to see others jump all over him for wanting to help children. Others say let them pay. Well let's not play stupid. If their parents are here against the law they can't afford a better life for them. We haven't secured the border so what are we to do with the kids?

I was a severely disadvantaged youth. I went from juvenile prison to group homes to foster care to ultimately winding up in adult prison in Hutchinson State Penitentiary at the age of 17. 3 years of my life was wasted because at a young age no one took an interest and gave me some proper direction.
I was far worse than anything most of you can imagine and much worse than most Mexican youths. It's a shame that the attention and direction I needed as a youth could only be delivered by a penal institution.
We don't have to subject the next group of children to that scenario. Most, if not all of you, have no idea how hard it can be when your parents are completely fucked up. WHY SUBJECT ANY HUMAN CHILD TO ANY UNDUE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS.

I got out of prison at nearly the age of 21. I applied for student loans and was denied, time after time. If anyone needed a leg up I did. So don't give me that bs line about Americans first. It's money first, and because I was a risk I wasn't worth it. Well I'm here to tell you I wasn't a risk. I was a misguided left behind child that needed a break and I didn't find it.

Obviously I ultimately made it. But it wasn't because I was American. It was because I struggled and worked my ass off to goto school and work and learn several trades. No child should be subjected to the bullshit our govt puts them through when their parents aren't responsible.

I'm a firm believer in locking down the boarders. In fact maybe more than most because my business is often undercut by immigrants. That being said, they aren't the children taking my jobs. It's uncle Sam taking my job through his incompetence.

Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents. And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Ps. I said way more than I wanted to but I felt it was needed to give context. And if you only come in here to be partisan about the issue...... Fuck you

I went into the military and received the GI bill and am grateful for it. I was appalled McCain wanted to cut the GI bill to keep more people in the military.

And, I wish MB would quit going on about how she "raised" 23 foster children. She picked out 23 teenage girls to do her babysitting and house cleaning. That's NOT "raising" them.

And I don't see anything wrong with it. She taught them how to work and how to be productive. Gave them food and a nice place to live. Taught them responsibility. Some see that as "taking advantage", but I don't. I just wish she would tell the truth. The truth is OK. What she did was good. Her lying is not.

The exploitation of foster care children as domestic help ought to lead to death by hanging.

We ought to come down all forms of slavery like a ton of bricks.

The exploitation of foster care children as domestic help ought to lead to death by hanging.

If it's exploitation. But none of the girls she "raised" have complained. And with the media we have, you know they "looked". My feeling is she innocent until proven otherwise. Besides, her kids are grown. She's not going to be "raising" any more foster Teenagers.

If it's exploitation. But none of the girls she "raised" have complained. And with the media we have, you know they "looked". My feeling is she innocent until proven otherwise. Besides, her kids are grown. She's not going to be "raising" any more foster Teenagers.

My experience with fostercare was not exploitation. The only thing that caused me concern was the first home. I was 7 and had never seen a black person cause we never left our small town until I was sent away. The first home was a LARGE black family and I was 1 of 2 white kids. It was a culture shock to say the least and I was terrified. Looking back on it I can appreciate what they did but at the time I was freaked out. Learning to live a different culture overnight was incredibly difficult. They did everything different. They had a sense of community as well and I had no idea how to assimilate. The food was strange to me also and I got in a fair amount of trouble over that issue. They themselves seemed relatively poor also but they handeled it differently. Many may laugh at my experience there but just try to imagine it as a sheltered youth.
My second home was the true disaster. They were a rich white couple that gave me everything I wanted. From one extreme to another! Problem was I had no sense of limit when I was there because dicipline was rare. That is when the petty theft and crimes started. Dunno why I went that direction I just did.
My third home was a large family in the country. I was one of many foster children. I think there were about 12 of us kids there and the dicipline was swift and severe. I remember running away several times and it all went downhill after that.

Anyways I guess my point was I dont pretend to know MB's motives for raising foster children and I give her major kudos for doing so. I think it would be a very tough job, especially with older children who already have developement and social problems. Most older children wind up in grouphome environments that are anything but healthy.

My experience with fostercare was not exploitation. The only thing that caused me concern was the first home. I was 7 and had never seen a black person cause we never left our small town until I was sent away. The first home was a LARGE black family and I was 1 of 2 white kids. It was a culture shock to say the least and I was terrified. Looking back on it I can appreciate what they did but at the time I was freaked out. Learning to live a different culture overnight was incredibly difficult. They did everything different. They had a sense of community as well and I had no idea how to assimilate. The food was strange to me also and I got in a fair amount of trouble over that issue. They themselves seemed relatively poor also but they handeled it differently. Many may laugh at my experience there but just try to imagine it as a sheltered youth.
My second home was the true disaster. They were a rich white couple that gave me everything I wanted. From one extreme to another! Problem was I had no sense of limit when I was there because dicipline was rare. That is when the petty theft and crimes started. Dunno why I went that direction I just did.
My third home was a large family in the country. I was one of many foster children. I think there were about 12 of us kids there and the dicipline was swift and severe. I remember running away several times and it all went downhill after that.

Anyways I guess my point was I dont pretend to know MB's motives for raising foster children and I give her major kudos for doing so. I think it would be a very tough job, especially with older children who already have developement and social problems. Most older children wind up in grouphome environments that are anything but healthy.

I give her kudos also. Not every foster home situation is a "loving family" with Betty Crocker cooking cookies. There have been no scandals from any of her 23 kids. That says something. In fact, it says a lot.

When I went into the service, I was in the 3rd Battalion, 16th Field Artillery, 8th Infantry Division, and half the battalion was black. That means half my roommates were black. Growing up, I knew one black family that moved into our community when I was in high school. I didn't even know both my Republican parents hated black people until then.

I could never belong to a party with some many people who are anti American. They hate gays and blacks and Hispanics and Muslims and atheists. The list goes on. They can deny it, but the proof is in the pudding.

I give her kudos also. Not every foster home situation is a "loving family" with Betty Crocker cooking cookies. There have been no scandals from any of her 23 kids. That says something. In fact, it says a lot.

When I went into the service, I was in the 3rd Battalion, 16th Field Artillery, 8th Infantry Division, and half the battalion was black. That means half my roommates were black. Growing up, I knew one black family that moved into our community when I was in high school. I didn't even know both my Republican parents hated black people until then.

I could never belong to a party with some many people who are anti American. They hate gays and blacks and Hispanics and Muslims and atheists. The list goes on. They can deny it, but the proof is in the pudding.

I am a member of that party Dean and I am none of those things. You can not effect change from the outside but rather from within.

This is one of the most confusing posts...after reading many others you post. Then to end it with the statement you end it with makes it more confusing.
You are upset over...not getting help when you wanted it because you were misguided but to hell with others who are misguided?
And then you post about don't bring partisan ideology into it when that is the first statement you make, a partisan ideology.
:eusa_whistle:

Can I first say that I agree with what you have said about what we should do as a society. Thank you for posting your story.

Now can you tell me why you vehemantly support a party that disagrees with you totally... particularly on something which appears to be a core value.

I don't see much personal responsibility in your post. As a 17 year old, didn't you make your own decisions?

Isn't that a core value of conservatives?

Last edited:

I don't see much personal responsibility in your post. As a 17 year old, didn't you make your own decisions?
I would say no.

Can I first say that I agree with what you have said about what we should do as a society. Thank you for posting your story.

Now can you tell me why you vehemantly support a party that disagrees with you totally... particularly on something which appears to be a core value.

There are issues much more important than this to me. I dont feel like 100% agreement is required to feel that one party is better than the other. Besides the entire party is not in lock step on this issue. There are divisions in both parties and their is nothing wrong with that. Diversity is a good thing.

And to the poster above you, I dont believe I expressed that I was upset that I didnt catch any breaks. In fact if I had it all to do over again I wouldnt change much because thats what ultimately led me to where I am today. Im happy with my life.

Forum List

Back