I was a ward of the state as a child. I got 0 help beyond fostercare

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Grampa Murked U, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,927
    I consider myself a conservative republican yet I don't like the way Perry is treated on the Mexican child issue. It pisses me off to see others jump all over him for wanting to help children. Others say let them pay. Well let's not play stupid. If their parents are here against the law they can't afford a better life for them. We haven't secured the border so what are we to do with the kids?

I was a severely disadvantaged youth. I went from juvenile prison to group homes to foster care to ultimately winding up in adult prison in Hutchinson State Penitentiary at the age of 17. 3 years of my life was wasted because at a young age no one took an interest and gave me some proper direction.
    I was far worse than anything most of you can imagine and much worse than most Mexican youths. It's a shame that the attention and direction I needed as a youth could only be delivered by a penal institution.
    We don't have to subject the next group of children to that scenario. Most, if not all of you, have no idea how hard it can be when your parents are completely fucked up. WHY SUBJECT ANY HUMAN CHILD TO ANY UNDUE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS.

I got out of prison at nearly the age of 21. I applied for student loans and was denied, time after time. If anyone needed a leg up I did. So don't give me that bs line about Americans first. It's money first, and because I was a risk I wasn't worth it. Well I'm here to tell you I wasn't a risk. I was a misguided left behind child that needed a break and I didn't find it.

Obviously I ultimately made it. But it wasn't because I was American. It was because I struggled and worked my ass off to goto school and work and learn several trades. No child should be subjected to the bullshit our govt puts them through when their parents aren't responsible.

I'm a firm believer in locking down the boarders. In fact maybe more than most because my business is often undercut by immigrants. That being said, they aren't the children taking my jobs. It's uncle Sam taking my job through his incompetence.

Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents. And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Ps. I said way more than I wanted to but I felt it was needed to give context. And if you only come in here to be partisan about the issue...... Fuck you

• Thank You! Thank You! x 8
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I had always wondered why you turned out the way you have.

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,199
    But it was exactly the experiences you had as a youth that made you the strong independent successful person you are today. Why would you deny others those same opportunities by giving them hand outs?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,927
    A discount for school that most likely will be made back 10 fold through their contributions after graduation or would you prefer to keep them on the govt dole most of their lives?

I was lucky. Most people in my situation don't break free of the cycle of violence and criminal activity.

5. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    Parents don't HAVE to provide for their children past the age of 18, so why would the government be expected to do so?? Should every American citizen who has had a dysfunctional childhood be eligible for a subsidized college education??

6. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,927
    I'm not saying the policy is right or wrong. I'm saying that targeting children to further your political career is disgusting.

Having said that I do believe that our children are our future and to single out one group with persecution is wrong. It's not their fault. If Texas felt it was the right thing to do and overwhelmingly approved it isn't that what we as republicans believe in? States rights? Or is that only when it suits us?

7. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    I don't agree with your "persecution" mentality, but if you think it's wrong to single out one group, then why should American citizens have a subsidized eduction withheld from them, if it's provided to illegals??

8. Vel

Vel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914
    Since the students in question are here illegally and are not eligible to be legally hired, how is it you think they will contribute after graduation?

9. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931
    just think ..does anyone on this board honestly believe this man would have overcome the obstacle's he overcame if he had a liberal mind set ?? hard work and determination and self reliance is what pulled him through !! .............not the damn nanny state !!

10. Grampa Murked U

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,927
    We have 2 choices. Deport everyone or go case by case and grant certain rights along with citizenship. Which do you see happening? I see the latter. We can't keep our heads in the sand forever. At some point our generosity will come back. Be it negative or positive. And that depends on what we do.