I was a ward of the state as a child. I got 0 help beyond fostercare

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I consider myself a conservative republican yet I don't like the way Perry is treated on the Mexican child issue. It pisses me off to see others jump all over him for wanting to help children. Others say let them pay. Well let's not play stupid. If their parents are here against the law they can't afford a better life for them. We haven't secured the border so what are we to do with the kids?

I was a severely disadvantaged youth. I went from juvenile prison to group homes to foster care to ultimately winding up in adult prison in Hutchinson State Penitentiary at the age of 17. 3 years of my life was wasted because at a young age no one took an interest and gave me some proper direction.
I was far worse than anything most of you can imagine and much worse than most Mexican youths. It's a shame that the attention and direction I needed as a youth could only be delivered by a penal institution.
We don't have to subject the next group of children to that scenario. Most, if not all of you, have no idea how hard it can be when your parents are completely fucked up. WHY SUBJECT ANY HUMAN CHILD TO ANY UNDUE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS.

I got out of prison at nearly the age of 21. I applied for student loans and was denied, time after time. If anyone needed a leg up I did. So don't give me that bs line about Americans first. It's money first, and because I was a risk I wasn't worth it. Well I'm here to tell you I wasn't a risk. I was a misguided left behind child that needed a break and I didn't find it.

Obviously I ultimately made it. But it wasn't because I was American. It was because I struggled and worked my ass off to goto school and work and learn several trades. No child should be subjected to the bullshit our govt puts them through when their parents aren't responsible.

I'm a firm believer in locking down the boarders. In fact maybe more than most because my business is often undercut by immigrants. That being said, they aren't the children taking my jobs. It's uncle Sam taking my job through his incompetence.

Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents. And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Ps. I said way more than I wanted to but I felt it was needed to give context. And if you only come in here to be partisan about the issue...... Fuck you

But it was exactly the experiences you had as a youth that made you the strong independent successful person you are today. Why would you deny others those same opportunities by giving them hand outs?

• Banned
But it was exactly the experiences you had as a youth that made you the strong independent successful person you are today. Why would you deny others those same opportunities by giving them hand outs?

A discount for school that most likely will be made back 10 fold through their contributions after graduation or would you prefer to keep them on the govt dole most of their lives?

I was lucky. Most people in my situation don't break free of the cycle of violence and criminal activity.

Parents don't HAVE to provide for their children past the age of 18, so why would the government be expected to do so?? Should every American citizen who has had a dysfunctional childhood be eligible for a subsidized college education??

• Banned
Parents don't HAVE to provide for their children past the age of 18, so why would the government be expected to do so?? Should every American citizen who has had a dysfunctional childhood be eligible for a subsidized college education??

I'm not saying the policy is right or wrong. I'm saying that targeting children to further your political career is disgusting.

Having said that I do believe that our children are our future and to single out one group with persecution is wrong. It's not their fault. If Texas felt it was the right thing to do and overwhelmingly approved it isn't that what we as republicans believe in? States rights? Or is that only when it suits us?

I'm not saying the policy is right or wrong. I'm saying that targeting children to further your political career is disgusting.

Having said that I do believe that our children are our future and to single out one group with persecution is wrong. It's not their fault. If Texas felt it was the right thing to do and overwhelmingly approved it isn't that what we as republicans believe in? States rights? Or is that only when it suits us?

I don't agree with your "persecution" mentality, but if you think it's wrong to single out one group, then why should American citizens have a subsidized eduction withheld from them, if it's provided to illegals??

A discount for school that most likely will be made back 10 fold through their contributions after graduation or would you prefer to keep them on the govt dole most of their lives?

I was lucky. Most people in my situation don't break free of the cycle of violence and criminal activity.

Since the students in question are here illegally and are not eligible to be legally hired, how is it you think they will contribute after graduation?

I consider myself a conservative republican yet I don't like the way Perry is treated on the Mexican child issue. It pisses me off to see others jump all over him for wanting to help children. Others say let them pay. Well let's not play stupid. If their parents are here against the law they can't afford a better life for them. We haven't secured the border so what are we to do with the kids?

I was a severely disadvantaged youth. I went from juvenile prison to group homes to foster care to ultimately winding up in adult prison in Hutchinson State Penitentiary at the age of 17. 3 years of my life was wasted because at a young age no one took an interest and gave me some proper direction.
I was far worse than anything most of you can imagine and much worse than most Mexican youths. It's a shame that the attention and direction I needed as a youth could only be delivered by a penal institution.
We don't have to subject the next group of children to that scenario. Most, if not all of you, have no idea how hard it can be when your parents are completely fucked up. WHY SUBJECT ANY HUMAN CHILD TO ANY UNDUE PUNISHMENT BECAUSE OF THEIR PARENTS.

I got out of prison at nearly the age of 21. I applied for student loans and was denied, time after time. If anyone needed a leg up I did. So don't give me that bs line about Americans first. It's money first, and because I was a risk I wasn't worth it. Well I'm here to tell you I wasn't a risk. I was a misguided left behind child that needed a break and I didn't find it.

Obviously I ultimately made it. But it wasn't because I was American. It was because I struggled and worked my ass off to goto school and work and learn several trades. No child should be subjected to the bullshit our govt puts them through when their parents aren't responsible.

I'm a firm believer in locking down the boarders. In fact maybe more than most because my business is often undercut by immigrants. That being said, they aren't the children taking my jobs. It's uncle Sam taking my job through his incompetence.

Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents. And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Ps. I said way more than I wanted to but I felt it was needed to give context. And if you only come in here to be partisan about the issue...... Fuck you
just think ..does anyone on this board honestly believe this man would have overcome the obstacle's he overcame if he had a liberal mind set ?? hard work and determination and self reliance is what pulled him through !! .............not the damn nanny state !!

Since the students in question are here illegally and are not eligible to be legally hired, how is it you think they will contribute after graduation?

We have 2 choices. Deport everyone or go case by case and grant certain rights along with citizenship. Which do you see happening? I see the latter. We can't keep our heads in the sand forever. At some point our generosity will come back. Be it negative or positive. And that depends on what we do.

I think anyone who wants to continue their education and shows a desire, drive, and ability to do well, should have that opportunity.

We have 2 choices. Deport everyone or go case by case and grant certain rights along with citizenship. Which do you see happening? I see the latter. We can't keep our heads in the sand forever. At some point our generosity will come back. Be it negative or positive. And that depends on what we do.

Our "generosity" is one of the reasons that this nation is in the situation it's in. As much as you might want to, you don't make good policy trying to legislate from the heart.

Our "generosity" is one of the reasons that this nation is in the situation it's in. As much as you might want to, you don't make good policy trying to legislate from the heart.

Like everyone else I form my opinions through life experiences. Those were mine. I don't expect many who haven't been through what I have to agree.

Bottom line.

CHILDREN ARE NOT POLITICAL PAWNS.

Edit: I do understand your position. I just don't like the subject. It hits home for me

Last edited:
Don't punish the kids for the mistakes of the parents.

Which conforms to Constitutional case law. It is wrong to attack Perry for upholding the rule of law.

And don't give me that magnet shit either. Deal with the border properly and the issue will solve itself. Otherwise were just shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't help the children.

Indeed. In fact, many came to the US legally with their parents, who allowed their documents to expire or otherwise stayed beyond authorization. It is sound policy to educate these children, they’re not going anywhere.

Like everyone else I form my opinions through life experiences. Those were mine. I don't expect many who haven't been through what I have to agree.

Bottom line.

Agreed.. children should not be political pawns and yet that is exactly what those proposing "dream act" type legislation are using them as. They are using "the children" as their wedge to try to widen the acceptance of allowing illegal immigrants to stay and be placed on " a path to citizenship".

Well done Grampa! We should make schools and colleges as good and affordable as possible, loans as cheap as possible.Under Boosh, public college costs doubled dammit (so did health costs) and loan costs more than that!! So vote Dem dammit, and pass the Schumer/Graham bill. Sorry, Gramps, screw elitist greedy hater Pubs- hoping their misled followers recover. tyvm

True. Certainly children who came to the US legally could have their cases reviewed and granted LPRA status so they could work.

True. Certainly children who came to the US legally could have their cases reviewed and granted LPRA status so they could work.

I just gave you rep and then you do this?

News flash. This isn't about legal children.

Bottom line.

Agreed.. children should not be political pawns and yet that is exactly what those proposing "dream act" type legislation are using them as. They are using "the children" as their wedge to try to widen the acceptance of allowing illegal immigrants to stay and be placed on " a path to citizenship".
Those usually trying to advance that policy are trying to advance nothing more than a ploy to buy minority votes.

Forum List

Back