I want to visit Chicago in the summer and was wondering is the downtown area similar to NYC?

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
I have heard people refer to Chicago as the NYC of the midwest. I know Chicago is a lot bigger than Philly but thought it maybe the downtown area is like Manhattan

I have heard people refer to Chicago as the NYC of the midwest. I know Chicago is a lot bigger than Philly but thought it maybe the downtown area is like Manhattan

No and I grew up in Joliet thirty miles south of Chi-town and Chicago is nice but nothing like New York.

Stop and get a Italian Beef sandwich and no that is not some gay joke.

No and I grew up in Joliet thirty miles south of Chi-town and Chicago is nice but nothing like New York.

So downtown chicago is not as big as Manhattan?

Can't see the sky if you're walking downtown Chicago. Just buildings.

So downtown chicago is not as big as Manhattan?

Answering your first question in your title and as for it size compare to Manhattan, I really would not know unless I look at both sizes.

When I was in New York back in the 1990's it was a lot better than Chi-town.

I live in New York and have been to Chicago. Chicago is 1000x cleaner. But nothing compares to Manhattan in terms architecture and liveliness.

I hear the natives in Africa are a lot nicer then the natives of Chicago. I would go to Africa first.

twitter-icon--egg-social-iconset--land-of-web-31_zpsz3m60pqs.png

I never had or saw any of that when I was there.

Chicago to me is more like Philly than New Yawk. But if you're talking downtowns, meh --- they're all the same, no character in high rise buildings.

Mainly the difference is Manhattan is laid out all nice and rectangular with right angles on the major streets so it's hard to get lost or not have a sense of where you're going. Chicago isn't laid out like that, nor are most cities. It's laid out along a Lake so it's kind of elongated.

I grew to like the place after several visits. Get to Wrigley Field, if you can get in. And don't forget to sample deep dish pizza.

Chicago to me is more like Philly than New Yawk. But if you're talking downtowns, meh --- they're all the same, no character in high rise buildings.

Mainly the difference is Manhattan is laid out all nice and rectangular with right angles on the major streets so it's hard to get lost or not have a sense of where you're going. Chicago isn't laid out like that, nor are most cities. It's laid out along a Lake so it's kind of elongated.

I grew to like the place after several visits. Get to Wrigley Field, if you can get in. And don't forget to sample deep dish pizza.

Oh and it deserves to be said - NY pizza, particalarly Brooklyn >>>>> Chicago pizza.

Why is Chicago more like Philly?

Chicago pizza hands down.

Blasphemy

I just don't think you have had it. Everyone knows when eating Chicago pizza the angels sing, the heavens open up and light shines down.

Fact.
Chicago pizza hands down.

Blasphemy

I just don't think you have had it. Everyone knows when eating Chicago pizza the angels sing, the heavens open up and light shines down.

Fact.

Chicago is known for deep dish pizza and that type of pizza taste like greasy ass

Why is Chicago more like Philly?

Because it's old and neighborhoody and blue collar. And it has an El.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back