I want to start a new, centrist political party, who's with me?

gekaap

Rookie
Jan 25, 2011
Basic platform:

-Reasonable entitlement spending, going hand in hand with a focus on training people to do jobs that are needing to be done.
-Support for eliminating "marriage" from any legal status, and leaving it up to individuals/couples to unite in whatever union they so desire
-A balanced budget amendment that limits the ability of the government to incur debt in more than two fiscal years, in any 10 year period.
-Securing the borders and enforcing immigration policy
-Affirmation of abortion rights
-Affirmation of state rights and a push for greater state autonomy

Who's ready to reject the false dilemma of Democrat v Republican?

Looks like a good starting point. :thup:

I would also add a gradual draw-down of foreign military presence.

Oxymoron.

No it's not. My brother is disabled, and will not likely ever be capable of maintaining a profitable job. I don't find it unreasonable to provide disability benefits for people like him.
That's not an entitlement. That's a safety net. He's earned it by paying in to social security.

That post is problematic for a number of reasons. #1, the underlying philosophy suggests that you think he ought get nothing if he was born disabled (which I think is what gekaap meant, btw). #2, are you then suggesting that anything that's a "Safety Net" is not what you define as "Entitlement?" If that's the case, what entitlements are you berating against anyway?

Are you conceding that Social Security is not an 'Entitlement?'

• Banned
Oxymoron.

No it's not. My brother is disabled, and will not likely ever be capable of maintaining a profitable job. I don't find it unreasonable to provide disability benefits for people like him.
That's not an entitlement. That's a safety net. He's earned it by paying in to social security.

Social Security IS an entitlement. And no, he's never actually "earned" it. He's only 15, and has never had a job. He's been in a wheelchair since before the age of two years old.

Supposedly, we're cruising with centrism right now....downhill.

No, we've been cruising with Pelosism for a little more than two years. The President appears to finally be moving toward the center. But then again he also said he was going to close Gitmo. So I'm not really gonna hold my breath.

How do you know he's earned it? You don't know how much he has paid into Social Security. This is actually part of the reason why it's becoming insolvent. People who aren't of retirement age and haven't paid into it their whole lives are collecting it anyway due to disability status, which also includes drug addicts and alcoholics.

Supposedly, we're cruising with centrism right now....downhill.

No, we've been cruising with Pelosism for a little more than two years. The President appears to finally be moving toward the center. But then again he also said he was going to close Gitmo. So I'm not really gonna hold my breath.

Regardless, throw out the collective ideology and adopt more of the individualistic and I'm on board.

Forum List

Back