I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by koshergrl, Mar 23, 2012.

1. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like...

So my newest kick (aside from the boat and last year's hiking obsession that was completely circumvented by my unexpected transfer the weekend I was supposed to hike to the top of a local mountain, by myself, with my dog...3 days total) is bicycling.

I bought new bikes for myself and 2 of the kids whose bikes were either non existent or irrepairable..spent a fortune, my big boy's bike ended up costing about $400 which in the bike world isn't a lot but for ordinary people it really is significant (it's a very cool bike).

I got myself a nice Schwinn hybrid.

My plan was to get everything up and running by Spring break so I could bicycle with the kids to work and child care or activities with the kids.

After spending all this money, 3 schwinns appeared at the end of a neighbor's driveway, they were selling them for $20 each. Beautiful older bikes, with big seats, baskets, nice tires...and my new one KILLS me..the seat is too small and the pedals feel like they're behind me when I ride it...

So I picked up those bikes too, not only to see if one was more suitable for me, but so people who visit (my sons, their families, friends) can ride a flipping bike if they feel like it. We are in prime bicycling country here....there are bike lanes and paths throughout town, snow and ice are minimal and it's not hot in the summer, everything is paved and nice, and where it's not paved, it's sand and loam, very nice, no real mud, no native rock to worry about.

today I am home and the kids save one are at school (don't ask about the save one, grrr) so I took out the old Schwinn that I really thought I would like and it was HEAVENLY. I'm so excited! Now I've got to go out there adn see if I can lower the seat of the mondo-Schwinn, it's one of a type that was only made one year...it has a mirror, a big basket in front, and one of those things in back for putting stuff on...of course they all have fenders, they're just so cool!

tomorrow taking the big boy to Portland to meet up with his mom who is picking him up for Spring break. He would like to go home for good but she won't let him hahahaha kind of funny...anyway, Sunday we'll ride the bicycles to church, and starting Monday we're bicycling a pretty big circuit daily (barring horrific weather or illness). I'm really excited!

2. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    Next week, I think I will sink a lot of money into sky diving equipment. I like to pay for a lot of hobbies I never actually participate in. That seems to be the one hobby I always come back to...

3. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,370
    I just got back from riding on the beach.....beautiful day

I like the new lightweight bikes better than the old steel dinosaurs

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    I haven't ridden bikes since I was 20 years old, so I'm happy with the dinosaurs for now.

I went to replace the tube of ancient Schwinn #2 and wasn't able to because I can't loosen the nuts, grrrrr...and went to lower the seat of the carmel but it won't budge for some reason.

So I'll be taking them to the bikeshop and paying the girl who works there to do it. I hate dealing with tools and stuff...

5. SayMyName

SayMyName Live, Love, Laugh.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Your pronouncements inspired me. I will consider this. Hmmm, ride a bike. When did I last do that?

6. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,395
    I took up riding with the kid when we moved to town a few years ago. Those country roads are treacherous. Anyhow- I got a map of the city and began marking off streets as we finished our rides.
    It's now almost completed. I plan to take it to the mayor and also maybe see if the paper will do a story on our adventure.

7. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q07Zp7tQBRQ]I want to ride my bicycle lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    My boss rides a super light bike to work, it's awesome...I really do love my old bike it just fits me so well. But before long I'll be ready to move up and onward...

9. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    [​IMG]

This is the bike I had as a girl, except mine was metallic green and had a huge sissy bar...it was AWESOME. I also had mirrors and a speedometer.I don't remember the front wheel being smaller....this is a 1972. I got mine probably in..hmmm....1974? And it was used...it may have been this one:

[​IMG]This one is a 1970...the rims look about right. My mom paid $35 for it back then, and that was a lot of money for us. Loved that bike.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,183
    My baby now:

[​IMG]

Good heavens, she's tiny. A vintage Schwinn women's wayfarer 7.