I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride my bike

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
I want to ride my bicycle I want to ride it where I like...

So my newest kick (aside from the boat and last year's hiking obsession that was completely circumvented by my unexpected transfer the weekend I was supposed to hike to the top of a local mountain, by myself, with my dog...3 days total) is bicycling.

I bought new bikes for myself and 2 of the kids whose bikes were either non existent or irrepairable..spent a fortune, my big boy's bike ended up costing about $400 which in the bike world isn't a lot but for ordinary people it really is significant (it's a very cool bike).

I got myself a nice Schwinn hybrid.

My plan was to get everything up and running by Spring break so I could bicycle with the kids to work and child care or activities with the kids.

After spending all this money, 3 schwinns appeared at the end of a neighbor's driveway, they were selling them for $20 each. Beautiful older bikes, with big seats, baskets, nice tires...and my new one KILLS me..the seat is too small and the pedals feel like they're behind me when I ride it...

So I picked up those bikes too, not only to see if one was more suitable for me, but so people who visit (my sons, their families, friends) can ride a flipping bike if they feel like it. We are in prime bicycling country here....there are bike lanes and paths throughout town, snow and ice are minimal and it's not hot in the summer, everything is paved and nice, and where it's not paved, it's sand and loam, very nice, no real mud, no native rock to worry about.

today I am home and the kids save one are at school (don't ask about the save one, grrr) so I took out the old Schwinn that I really thought I would like and it was HEAVENLY. I'm so excited! Now I've got to go out there adn see if I can lower the seat of the mondo-Schwinn, it's one of a type that was only made one year...it has a mirror, a big basket in front, and one of those things in back for putting stuff on...of course they all have fenders, they're just so cool!

tomorrow taking the big boy to Portland to meet up with his mom who is picking him up for Spring break. He would like to go home for good but she won't let him hahahaha kind of funny...anyway, Sunday we'll ride the bicycles to church, and starting Monday we're bicycling a pretty big circuit daily (barring horrific weather or illness). I'm really excited!

Next week, I think I will sink a lot of money into sky diving equipment. I like to pay for a lot of hobbies I never actually participate in. That seems to be the one hobby I always come back to...

I just got back from riding on the beach.....beautiful day

I like the new lightweight bikes better than the old steel dinosaurs

I haven't ridden bikes since I was 20 years old, so I'm happy with the dinosaurs for now.

I went to replace the tube of ancient Schwinn #2 and wasn't able to because I can't loosen the nuts, grrrrr...and went to lower the seat of the carmel but it won't budge for some reason.

So I'll be taking them to the bikeshop and paying the girl who works there to do it. I hate dealing with tools and stuff...

I took up riding with the kid when we moved to town a few years ago. Those country roads are treacherous. Anyhow- I got a map of the city and began marking off streets as we finished our rides.
It's now almost completed. I plan to take it to the mayor and also maybe see if the paper will do a story on our adventure.

My boss rides a super light bike to work, it's awesome...I really do love my old bike it just fits me so well. But before long I'll be ready to move up and onward...

OK1.GIF

This is the bike I had as a girl, except mine was metallic green and had a huge sissy bar...it was AWESOME. I also had mirrors and a speedometer.I don't remember the front wheel being smaller....this is a 1972. I got mine probably in..hmmm....1974? And it was used...it may have been this one:

70fast.jpg
This one is a 1970...the rims look about right. My mom paid $35 for it back then, and that was a lot of money for us. Loved that bike.

Last edited:
My baby now:

images

Good heavens, she's tiny. A vintage Schwinn women's wayfarer 7.

So my newest kick (aside from the boat and last year's hiking obsession that was completely circumvented by my unexpected transfer the weekend I was supposed to hike to the top of a local mountain, by myself, with my dog...3 days total) is bicycling.

I bought new bikes for myself and 2 of the kids whose bikes were either non existent or irrepairable..spent a fortune, my big boy's bike ended up costing about $400 which in the bike world isn't a lot but for ordinary people it really is significant (it's a very cool bike).

My plan was to get everything up and running by Spring break so I could bicycle with the kids to work and child care or activities with the kids.

After spending all this money, 3 schwinns appeared at the end of a neighbor's driveway, they were selling them for $20 each. Beautiful older bikes, with big seats, baskets, nice tires...and my new one KILLS me..the seat is too small and the pedals feel like they're behind me when I ride it...

So I picked up those bikes too, not only to see if one was more suitable for me, but so people who visit (my sons, their families, friends) can ride a flipping bike if they feel like it. We are in prime bicycling country here....there are bike lanes and paths throughout town, snow and ice are minimal and it's not hot in the summer, everything is paved and nice, and where it's not paved, it's sand and loam, very nice, no real mud, no native rock to worry about.

today I am home and the kids save one are at school (don't ask about the save one, grrr) so I took out the old Schwinn that I really thought I would like and it was HEAVENLY. I'm so excited! Now I've got to go out there adn see if I can lower the seat of the mondo-Schwinn, it's one of a type that was only made one year...it has a mirror, a big basket in front, and one of those things in back for putting stuff on...of course they all have fenders, they're just so cool!

tomorrow taking the big boy to Portland to meet up with his mom who is picking him up for Spring break. He would like to go home for good but she won't let him hahahaha kind of funny...anyway, Sunday we'll ride the bicycles to church, and starting Monday we're bicycling a pretty big circuit daily (barring horrific weather or illness). I'm really excited!

Where a helmet so you guys dont bust your noggin.

So I picked up those bikes too, not only to see if one was more suitable for me, but so people who visit (my sons, their families, friends) can ride a flipping bike if they feel like it.
We are in prime bicycling country here....there are bike lanes and paths throughout town, snow and ice are minimal and it's not hot in the summer, everything is paved and nice, and where it's not paved, it's sand and loam, very nice, no real mud, no native rock to worry about.

Your taxpayer dollars at work.

Jus' sayin'...

My baby now:

images

Mine is an old Alpine Mt bike. Very durable.

Unfortunately, where I live good old boy politics still rules and most streets are extremely dangerous for cyclists. Hell, our streets between neighborhoods are inadequate for the car traffic. Pretty much every morning I see two guys riding against the traffic during the am commute. These guys are obviously commuting as well, trying to get ahead as best they can. If We, The People of The Great State of FL don't start investing in our infrastructure, one of these days my commute will be blocked by an ambulance.

I took up riding with the kid when we moved to town a few years ago. Those country roads are treacherous. Anyhow- I got a map of the city and began marking off streets as we finished our rides.
It's now almost completed. I plan to take it to the mayor and also maybe see if the paper will do a story on our adventure.
Looks like someone is an attention whore.:confused: The next time you go riding take some armament and rob a liquor store. You'll get plenty of attention when they film the slow speed chase back to Casa H.:D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPxIibhcKY]Steves Riding Lawn Mower DUI Arrest Video - YouTube[/ame]

Looks like someone is an attention whore.:confused: The next time you go riding take some armament and rob a liquor store. You'll get plenty of attention when they film the slow speed chase back to Casa H.:D
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNPxIibhcKY]Steves Riding Lawn Mower DUI Arrest Video - YouTube[/ame]

:lmao:

"I know my rights!!! My wife is gonna kick your ass!!"

Oh, God... I think I just peed me kilt. :lol:

Last edited:
Ours are horrifying, When we moved here 3 years ago, our country road sported a 70 mph speed with 5" shoulders and two lanes of traffic to and from businesses placed far out in the country.

I'm certain the tires on my bicycle are flat. It's just to scarey out there. In the local town, the plan in the 1800s was to have 2-way streets (narrow) with hitches outside for horses. They built a college here a few years after incorporation, and is now a major teacher/law enforcement university in the region. For 9 months a year, the town is pregnant with students, and bicycle lanes that exist are narrower than 12" if there are any at all. The houses are just too close to the small streets, and it's hilly. I see a lot of walkers and few cyclists, although there is at least 1 of them who does a daily ride along our flat-out dangerous country road. What a deal, no?

One of these days, I'm going to fix tires and ride bicycle.

I'm more of a media whore. :D

Local papers love this "human interest" stuff. As for the mayor and city council- I think they'll get a kick out of it. Their meetings are mostly attended by folks bitching about one thing or another. They need an occasional pat on the back.

:lol: that video.

Last edited:

So I picked up those bikes too, not only to see if one was more suitable for me, but so people who visit (my sons, their families, friends) can ride a flipping bike if they feel like it.
We are in prime bicycling country here....there are bike lanes and paths throughout town, snow and ice are minimal and it's not hot in the summer, everything is paved and nice, and where it's not paved, it's sand and loam, very nice, no real mud, no native rock to worry about.

Your taxpayer dollars at work.
Jus' sayin'...
Yes indeed.

This community has had a shift in the last 30 years, from a blue collar logging and fishing community to a retirement community. And thanks to that, we now have GORGEOUS schools and an incredible public library (that is open all the time!) and these wonderful streets and bike lanes....

My baby now:

images

Mine is an old Alpine Mt bike. Very durable.

Unfortunately, where I live good old boy politics still rules and most streets are extremely dangerous for cyclists. Hell, our streets between neighborhoods are inadequate for the car traffic. Pretty much every morning I see two guys riding against the traffic during the am commute. These guys are obviously commuting as well, trying to get ahead as best they can. If We, The People of The Great State of FL don't start investing in our infrastructure, one of these days my commute will be blocked by an ambulance.

I saw a guy on a bicycle get pasted by a semi once. Well I didn't see it...when I got there his bike was in a crumpled heap next to the cap of the truck, and his legs sticking out from between the two back sets of wheels right behind the front tires...

I love our streets here.

Forum List

Back