I want to nuke Venus

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
I want to nuke Venus...The problem with venus is its rotational speed is so slow that the planet keeps growing hotter and hotter.

I think we should put together a dozen "super nukes" of a space vehical with about 100, 50 megaton nukes. We should slam it into venus at the right angle to force the planet to rotate faster. Tonne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This would hopefully blow some of the Atmosphere off and we could start taraforming it. Venus is as big as earth and we need it. :eusa_boohoo:

Venus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"All the planets of the Solar System orbit the Sun in a counter-clockwise direction as viewed from above the Sun's north pole. Most planets also rotate on their axis in a counter-clockwise direction, but Venus rotates clockwise (called "retrograde" rotation) once every 243 Earth days—the slowest rotation period of any planet. The equator of the Venusian surface rotates at 6.5 km/h, while on Earth rotation speed at the equator is about 1,670 km/h.[69] Venus's rotation has slowed down by 6.5 minutes per Venusian day since the Magellan spacecraft visited it 16 years ago.[70]"

My plan is to hit the planet at a angle so hard that it speeds up the rotation and knocks some of that atmosphere off. Most theories say that our rotational speed helps form a maginatic field....Think about it.

Maybe 10-50 gigatons? That or how much would you think it should be???

You don't want to be messing with the inner planets in that way. You can't only change the rotation by slamming things into Venus, since a force big enough to do that would change the solar orbit as well. Right now, the orbits of the inner planets are stable and kind of synchronized, but that whole inner planet system is a chaotic thing currently balanced at a stable point. Start mucking with Venus, and Mercury's orbit (over a million years) could start going more elliptical and eventually cross earth's orbit. Which would be bad.

You don't want to be messing with the inner planets in that way. You can't only change the rotation by slamming things into Venus, since a force big enough to do that would change the solar orbit as well. Right now, the orbits of the inner planets are stable and kind of synchronized, but that whole inner planet system is a chaotic thing currently balanced at a stable point. Start mucking with Venus, and Mercury's orbit (over a million years) could start going more elliptical and eventually cross earth's orbit. Which would be bad.

Can this be done without messing with the orbit?

Last edited:
Can this be done without messing with the orbit?

I suppose so, though not with our current tech.

In billions of years, the sun will start to burn ever hotter. To keep earth habitable, we'll have to do something. Shade it, or ... move the earth. Put two big masses in space, not orbiting the earth, but behind and aside the earth (relative to the sun). Earth's gravity will pull them in, so attach giant solar sails to them. Solar wind pushes them out, they stay in place, and their gravity slowly, over thousands of years, tugs the earth outward into a cooler orbit.

The sun would eventually burn out in the end, but it would gain us millions of years. A caveat was, again, the whole orbital stability of the inner planets thing. But with the computing power we'd have by then, we should be able to solve it, nudging all the planets about to keep orbits stable.

So, with enough engineering force, you could rig something like that up with Venus. Delicately balance all the forces, and keep Venus in the same orbit while speeding up the rotation. It would just be very difficult to do it quickly.

Last edited:
Looks like Venus has already lost the arms race. :(

226px-Aphrodite_of_Milos.jpg

Forum List

Back