I Want To Convert My 8mm Video Camcorder Movies To DVD's

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
I've have a Sony Camcorder that I've had for several years. It's not a Digital Camcorder. It's an 8-track type that uses a cartridge that looks like a stereo cassette cartridge. I'm looking for a DVD recorder/player that will take the RCA plugs from my Camcorder and convert the analog signal and burn it onto a DVD disk.

I've been looking at all the internet stores and some stores where I live(Costco, Fry's electronics, Best Buy, etc.), but I don't know how to interpret the specs on them so I get a recorder/player that will reproduce my Camcorder movies.

I don't want to spend the money and find out that I bought one that only records Digital Camcorder movies. I want one that does the taped movies direct from the camera, just like the digital cameras can.

Can you help me and steer me towards some good reliable brands, and not too pricey either.

My camera is a Sony Handycam, Video 8, Model # CCD-TRV21 -vintage 1996. It uses 8mm Video Cassettes.

Again, what do I look for in the specs that tells me that I can plug my RCA jacks right to the recorder/player and burn it onto a DVD? :bye1:

Do you mean you have a VHS tape
video, eightball? I don't know if that's 8mm, that why I ask.

I have a combo unit video/Dvd.
You're supposed to be able to record one to the other..haven't even tried yet.

Mr. P said:
Do you mean you have a VHS tape
video, eightball? I don't know if that's 8mm, that why I ask.

I have a combo unit video/Dvd.
You're supposed to be able to record one to the other..haven't even tried yet.

The 8mm is the cassette sized video tape cartridge that goes in the camcorder to record your movies you take. It is much smaller in width(the tape itself) than a standard VHS tape, but it's still analog and not digital, just like the VHS.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/Category.asp?Category_ID=1&openFamily=1&Langue_id=7&Family=0

There are a couple of options...depending on whether you have firewire or USB connections available on you PC to convert the signals to burn to a DVD burner.

I have the Pinnacle Studio 9, and it works great. You will need a good video card in your PC to capture the video from your camera, and most of them support the RCA plugs (are there any other output options on your camera?)

I have not used the Dazzle products, but they appear to be reasonably priced, if all you wan tot do is archive video footage to DVD, and not edit them and create full movies with transitions, soundtracks and titling (although there are some limited functions.

Easiest way is to go through your PC, but you'll need a large harddrive, as well....most current machines won't have any problems.

i took my olde movies palyed them on a screen in a small format say 12" - 18" square...took my new digital camera mounted it on a tripod and took movies of my movies

worked great.

Actually, I'm looking for a recorder/player that would go with an entertainment system.

I do have a software setup on my P.C. for recording analog to digital and then using my DVD burner, but it is a very slow process.

Eightball said:
Actually, I'm looking for a recorder/player that would go with an entertainment system.

I do have a software setup on my P.C. for recording analog to digital and then using my DVD burner, but it is a very slow process.

Sorry no experience with those...can get kind of spendy when you want to get them with a built in HDD up to $800 for Pioneer with an 80G HD...kinda like TiVo on steroids.

Philips also makes some nice products in that same range...not sure about the inputs on the back of the unit for hooking up your camera...I know most offer Composite video in and out, as well as S_Video, and most are now offering the HD inputs as well. I would suggest a trip to a local high end stereo shop...not a best buy....so you can get some better info from the salas pros, and not some kid who is trying to earn some cash...(not a dig at anyone who works at the superstores, just personal experience when looking to buy quality equipment))

Forum List

Back