I want the word liberal back

Germany has higher wages than we do and they seem to compete just fine.

Some people with no background in econ really shouldn't be discussing it.

Germany has a higher quality of leaders than we do.
And they are more socialized than we are too.
Much more regulations on everything, etc.

All those things are irrelevant if you are making the claim that we cannot be competitive in the world economy with high wages. I have pointed out Germany has high wages and is still very competitive. That is a refutation of your point.

And how does Germany compete globally while maintaining high wages?

Germany for example has trade policies that by design, enables it to have a positive balance of trade with all of its trading partners, including India and China. It imports no more than it is allowed to sell into any countries markets. Tariffs are part of Germany’s trade policy that has allowed that country to keep its manufacturing and technology sectors, not only up and running, but strong even in the face of “globalization”. German companies and in turn their employees aren’t forced to compete on an unlevel playing field in terms of quality, price or wages. The German government protects their companies and workers through tariffs and other trade policies that enable them to be profitable and have the highest wages in the EU.

Tariffs = National Security - Donald McKinley Allen's column on Newsvine

369618-126340378842533-Individual-Global-Investor_origin.png

369618-126340376854892-Individual-Global-Investor_origin.png

The top income tax rate is 47.5 percent. The federal corporate tax rate is 15.8 percent (15 percent plus a 5.5 per*cent solidarity tax ) Lets not forget the VAT tax and a Capital Gains tax of 25%.

Germany Economy: Facts, Data, & Analysis on Economic Freedom

None of that is particularly relevant. German workers are very productive. I would guess their labor unit cost is pretty low.

None of that is particularly relevant. German workers are very productive. I would guess their labor unit cost is pretty low.

I would guess it has more to do with the quality of their work than the quantity. Ever drove a German car, even a 20 year old German car?

Last edited:
Also, when one figures in the fact that the average American worker works more hours than just about anyone (except a few Asian countries, but they have much lower productivity), American workers become the MOST productive workers in the world.

U.S. Workers World's Most Productive - CBS News

So, you all can stop your America-bashing right now.

I would guess it has more to do with the quality of their work than the quantity. Ever drove a German car, even a 20 year old German car?

Also a fallacy.

Forbes ranked cars on their durability, and it's relation to cost, in this study:

The Toughest Cars On The Road - Forbes.com

Ford came in at #1 and #2, with Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai filling out the rest of the top ten.

German made cars didn't even make the cut.

And how does Germany compete globally while maintaining high wages?

Germany for example has trade policies that by design, enables it to have a positive balance of trade with all of its trading partners, including India and China. It imports no more than it is allowed to sell into any countries markets. Tariffs are part of Germany’s trade policy that has allowed that country to keep its manufacturing and technology sectors, not only up and running, but strong even in the face of “globalization”. German companies and in turn their employees aren’t forced to compete on an unlevel playing field in terms of quality, price or wages. The German government protects their companies and workers through tariffs and other trade policies that enable them to be profitable and have the highest wages in the EU.

The top income tax rate is 47.5 percent. The federal corporate tax rate is 15.8 percent (15 percent plus a 5.5 per*cent solidarity tax ) Lets not forget the VAT tax and a Capital Gains tax of 25%.

Just imagine what the US could do, with our higher productivity and higher product quality, if we employed the same type of policies.

Too bad the free trade ideologues have taken a hold of the public discourse.

And QW, you can have the word "Liberal" back, if, in return, you stop giving away our nation to the multinational corporations.

Otherwise, you can use the "Corporatist" moniker, as that would be the most accurate.

Also... The meaning of the word "Conservative" is literally "One who is resistant to change", so, it seems like it's the conservative's own fault for choosing that term that they are considered resistant to change...

Also a fallacy.

Forbes ranked cars on their durability, and it's relation to cost, in this study:

The Toughest Cars On The Road - Forbes.com

Ford came in at #1 and #2, with Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai filling out the rest of the top ten.

German made cars didn't even make the cut.

Yep,

Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW certainly they are known for making junk.

We're not just talking about durability, we're talking about QUALITY. I'm sure Wal Mart could build and sell a car for $4000 that would last through its warranty period, but what kind of quality would it be.

Yep,

Mercedes, Audi, Volkswagen, BMW certainly they are known for making junk.

We're not just talking about durability, we're talking about QUALITY. I'm sure Wal Mart could build and sell a car for $4000 that would last through its warranty period, but what kind of quality would it be.

The Forbes article was a comparison between cost and durability, which is an excellent measure of "quality" in my opinion.

The "QUALITY" you are apparently referring to is your personal opinion that German cars are somehow "better" than American cars.

In my opinion, in general, they are not.

Germany does in fact make a very high quality of luxury vehicles, but the quality/cost ratio is not very good. Which was, I believe, the point here.

And in fact, even when not including cost ratios, the most durable cars in the world are generally made in Asia, not Germany.

http://www.gizmag.com/the-100-most-reliable-cars-of-the-last-decade-in-order/5657/

Last edited:

Perhaps you should stop guessing and start actually using Google to research the answers a bit. As Vast posted, Germany isnt even in the top 10 of worker productivity while the US is 3rd.

Our problem is POLICY.

Forum List

Back