I want my country back

José;2201406 said:
Sorry folks. It was not a serious post by any stretch. I just couldn't resist the temptation.

But think about it for a moment... The line "I want my country back" makes much more sense coming out of the mouths of illegal Mexicans residing in the US (and Indians, as Luissa righty noted) than in the mouth of Anglo citizens of the US.

Nobody "stole" your country from you Anglo (so far, at least). Last time I checked the American Southwest was firmly under US control and nobody but hispanic fringe groups seriously questions America's sovereignty under those former Mexican provinces. So you can't "want back" what you never lost in the first place as Vanquish stated.

But Mexicans cannot "want it back" either because the moment the country as a whole accepted US control over those regions it was not their land anymore. So don't even bother typing angry replies to that farcical post : )

Was the USA justified in claiming the land it took from England via war? From Spain? From Mexico? All that is certainly subject to debate. But if America is to be condemned for its imperialist and sometimes violent history, then so must all peoples everywhere for few exist that didn't take their homeland from somebody else. Such is the evolution of the human species.

But now we live in the 21st century and, at this time in history, have elected to be a people living on a land with defensible borders and governed by rule of law. If we cannot defend those borders or if we cannot or do not enforce our laws, it is inevitable that we will lose the land to others. That might be mostly via bloodless coup as we saw during the Middle Ages in Europe, but others will take the land and alter the way of life here in whatever way they see fit.

The tragedy of that is that those who take it will almost certainly turn it into places similar to what they left and we indeed will lose the America that we have known and loved and that attracted so many to come here in the first place.

To recognize that we have already lost at least some of the original America makes the slogan in the OP more valid.

Last edited:
Are you Native American?

My husband is 1/32nd Cherokee, does that count?

LOL These threads are often too bizarre for comment! Consider this, multiply four grandaparents several times and we may all be 1/32 of something or another.

2x4 8 16 32 64 128 and on and on till we arrive in southern Africa long ago with grandma and grandpa.

VS Ramachandran: The neurons that shaped civilization | Video on TED.com

The tragedy of that is that those who take it will almost certainly turn it into places similar to what they left and we indeed will lose the America that we have known and loved and that attracted so many to come here in the first place.

To recognize that we have already lost at least some of the original America makes the slogan in the OP more valid.

Which part is that exactly? Slavery, Jim Crow? Lynchings? Not being able to vote? Sweat shops? Poverty during the great depression? Child labor? Back alley abortions? 'Slogan' is right, but I think the slogan should be let's move forward and not pretend some imaginary past was all that wonderful. We are all immigrants in a sense, my grandparents were.

http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1061.html
http://www.progressiveliving.org/history_of_progressivism.htm

Last edited:
While I understand your complaints and am somewhat sympathetic to them, it was never your country or mine.

and there is one of those mortal enemies now!!!!!!!!!!
yeah. I want all you make, I want your house, your car, your furniture, your guns. I want to drink your blood. I'm a Liberal.

Now, everything Glenn Beck taught you is true! Evil is in the world and it's registered Democrat.

my my my an 'honest' progressive (aka marxist)
Just trying to keep it simple. I know how you like things simple, so I'm happy to oblige.

Everything those wingnuts say must be true. They make so much money doing it.

Are you Native American?

My husband is 1/32nd Cherokee, does that count?

LOL These threads are often too bizarre for comment! Consider this, multiply four grandaparents several times and we may all be 1/32 of something or another.

2x4 8 16 32 64 128 and on and on till we arrive in southern Africa long ago with grandma and grandpa.

VS Ramachandran: The neurons that shaped civilization | Video on TED.com

Which part is that exactly? Slavery, Jim Crow? Lynchings? Not being able to vote? Sweat shops? Poverty during the great depression? Child labor? Back alley abortions? 'Slogan' is right, but I think the slogan should be let's move forward and not pretend some imaginary past was all that wonderful. We are all immigrants in a sense, my grandparents were.

The Progressive Movement
A Brief history of American Progressivism

Slavery has been abolished. There are no more Jim Crow laws and lynchings are pretty rare these days. All citizens can vote. Work safety laws are the norm everywhere. Child labor laws are enforced to absurd extremes. Abortion is legal everywhere.

I feel sorry for those of you who seem fixated on historical negatives and have no appreciation for the blood, sweat, and personal fortunes that have been invested in correcting past wrongs and making this country the truly amazing, compassionate, and wonderful place that it is.

Further you seem to think that America is the only nation on Earth that has historical negatives.

I blame that on the liberal public education system.

Forum List

Back