I Want Mounted Combat

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ok, we've all seen it in movies, the mounted knight upon his mighty charger, running down all who oppose him. Gandalf, the Riders of Rohan, the Round Table...the mounted warrior has been a staple of medievil fiction and fantasy since its inception. Even players of popular tabletop games such as Warhammer Fantasy Battles and Dungeons and Dragons know the power of a charging knight. So my question is, why not in computer RPGs.

Sure, in strategy games like Warcraft and Lord of the Rings, mounted units are common and quite devastating. However, when it comes to existing RPGs, rarely will you see your avatar mounted upon a steed and never will you see him actually fight from horseback. For years, I've wanted to control a video game character as he mounted up, steadied his lance, and proceeded to run down some poor footsoldier, but alas, despite years of demand, nobody has delivered.

The best done so far have been World of Warcraft and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. However, due to concerns of easier 'kiting' of enemies (hitting them while running away to keep them from hitting back, like 'shooting at a kite'), both of these games require that you dismount before you even draw your sword. Why? Is it that hard or that important to prevent a small exploit that you must stifle our desire for heavy cavalry? Even games based on D&D effectively emasculate the paladin, as his arguably most powerful ability, his special mount, is competely removed.

It can't be this hard...I WANT MY CHARGING KNIGHTS, DAMMIT!!

Heavy Infantry with Archers.

ON the bad side, lots of dead knights

ON the good side, horsemeat is supposed to be good.

the new lor has knights to mow don the critters

arthur for xbox also has mounted combat

not quite what i think you are looking for but still cool