I visited the Army Career Center

Why not wait a while for the kid to mature a little bit and enlist in the (real) Army when he is 18 and able to make more rational decisions? Or do you need the money right now?

A. He won't be able to enlist when he is 18 because he won't graduate HS until he's 19.

B. I don't need the money: He does.

C. Enlisting in the Reserve will help him make rational descisions.

Not to dash your hopes but my nephew came out of the service just as completely irrational as the day his parents pushed him into it.

I'm sure it happens.

But my hope isn't to create a completely rational kid.

It's to get him OUT of my House.

with my 16 yo slave yesterday.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.

Go Navy, we can make him a cabin boy now.......... :eusa_whistle:

Nope.

Cannot join the Navy Reserve at 17 without HS diploma.

Army Res has a program: 17 yo join for 3 yrs during their Jr year of HS, 10 week Boot Camp Summer, then finish their Sr year and graduate before AIT. By the time they finish AIT they have about 2 years to add to their paygrade and rank AFTER they join the Regular Army (if they chose to).

See, Navy is better.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

He can join the Army Reserve on May 2 (Monday: The Army is not Open on Sunday for enlistees). He won't be able to go to basic until next summer, when he'll be 18, and he won't graduate from HS until he's 19 on May 1, 2013, after which then he'll go to AIT (Advanced Individual Training).

I'm going to visit the Chevy dealership before he signs, and show him some 2011 Cameros.

Does anyone have any advice: For example, is there a optimum length of time he should enlist with the guard? 3 years is the minimum, but 8 is the max, and I understand he gets $1,000 bonus for every year over 3 he enlists. Can he go from the reserve into the regular Army after AIT? The recruiter said yes, if he is released from his reserve unit.

My problem is I want a fucking GUARANTEE that after he has his AIT, he's NOT coming home.

They have a delayed entry program for the regular Army. I went from Natl. Grd to AR to regular Army, but they did bust my rank from a Spec-4 to a private.

He'll be 17 on May 1.

They have a delayed entry program for the regular Army. I went from Natl. Grd to AR to regular Army, but they did bust my rank from a Spec-4 to a private.
Thanks for ressurecting the thread. The kid is now 19, and a HS graduate.

The first thing he did was return o the Army Reserve Recruiter. They put him up in a hotel, then rejected his application because he had a juvenile record.

Lesson Learned: Just 'cause your kid is a juvenile doesn't mean his won't be held accountable for brining a knife to 8th grade.

When I was in school they were only concerned with those playing with their yo-yo's in class.

Plus, they had some nice bloody wars going on.....now, meh....its all drones and laser guided missiles.....the best war we can get going lasts 10 years and only results in less than 5000-6000 combat deaths.

.....Ah, the good ol' days.

No problem, I was curious as to how it all turned out.

The first thing he did was return o the Army Reserve Recruiter. They put him up in a hotel, then rejected his application because he had a juvenile record.

Lesson Learned: Just 'cause your kid is a juvenile doesn't mean his won't be held accountable for brining a knife to 8th grade.

Hmmm, that is rather strange. Generally juvenile records are sealed, and as long as it did not involve a violent or sexual offense or anything more serious then a low-level misdemeanor, they are simply waived or ignored.

My own record includes shoplifting (juvenile), but that did not stop my joining the Marines and getting a security clearance. And added to that I had a few arrests as an adult (including 90 days in county lockup), and that did not prevent me from then joining the Army and getting an even higher security clearance.

I think you just had a recruiter who already had his quota, and simply did not want to bother.

No problem, I was curious as to how it all turned out.

Hmmm, that is rather strange. Generally juvenile records are sealed, and as long as it did not involve a violent or sexual offense or anything more serious then a low-level misdemeanor, they are simply waived or ignored.

My own record includes shoplifting (juvenile), but that did not stop my joining the Marines and getting a security clearance. And added to that I had a few arrests as an adult (including 90 days in county lockup), and that did not prevent me from then joining the Army and getting an even higher security clearance.

I think you just had a recruiter who already had his quota, and simply did not want to bother.

You're probably correct...it could also have to do with timing, regulation changes, etc., and the differences in Service: He wasn't enlisting with the Marines.

At any rate, I have Plan B.

Put him to work mowing the grass.

You're probably correct...it could also have to do with timing, regulation changes, etc., and the differences in Service: He wasn't enlisting with the Marines.

Errr, my first enlistment was in the Marines (1983-1993). My most recent have been in the Army (2007-Present).

There is always the DHS.

Errr, my first enlistment was in the Marines (1983-1993). My most recent have been in the Army (2007-Present).

There is always the DHS.

Good idea!

I was leaning toward the Merchant Marine Service.

At any rate I think he's settled on being part ime student until he's 60, or marrying well.

There is always the DHS.

Some of us do move up in the world. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back