I thought they were some sort of swans....

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
but it turns out they were Canadian geese....these are pics from our April vacation, on Mount Dessert island/Bar Harbor, Me....we stayed in a cottage on a cove....i was watching the strange looking, white, black and yellow ducks in the cove from the deck, then these beautiful geese came along and stole the show!

P4286052.JPG

P4286051.JPG

P4286092.JPG

P4286068.JPG

P4286080.JPG

P4286075.JPG

P4286088.JPG

P4286090.JPG

P4286086.JPG

P4286085.JPG

Nice! Definitely goose steppers! :lol:

you would think i would know by now! But i have only viewed the canadian geese with them way above me, flying south in flocks, late fall....honking their horns....:lol:

and I did think that swans were white, and not with colors, but the stance and neck profile of these birds made me think they were swans, ''new england style'' with some sort of colors! hahahahaha! what the heck do I know????? i'm really a southerner.....at least at birth! :D

Nice pics Care. Those geese are all over lake tahoe now, Its cute when they have their babies and move along the lake in little flotillas. But they make messes on the beach!

Nice! Definitely goose steppers! :lol:

you would think i would know by now! But i have only viewed the canadian geese with them way above me, flying south in flocks, late fall....honking their horns....:lol:

and I did think that swans were white, and not with colors, but the stance and neck profile of these birds made me think they were swans, ''new england style'' with some sort of colors! hahahahaha! what the heck do I know????? i'm really a southerner.....at least at birth! :D

I'm joking about the "goose stepper" comment... A reference to some threads you missed. Glad you had a chance to get away. It is absolutely gorgeous up there!

The swans do come in different shades of gray and black but they have more of a swooping neck and long beak...

Those first two pics it's hard to tell if they could be young swans...? :dunno:

The small ones in pictures 2 and 3 are bufflehead ducks.

Mt Dessert huh? Haven't been there for years. Actually had a Maine farmer near Soutwest Harbor tell me in response to my request for directions, "You can't get theya , from heya.
I remember a great resteraunt where they steam lobsters outside on a pier in SW Harbor
Did you make the top of Cadillac Mountain to see the earliest sunrise in the US?

The small ones in pictures 2 and 3 are bufflehead ducks.

Mt Dessert huh? Haven't been there for years. Actually had a Maine farmer near Soutwest Harbor tell me in response to my request for directions, "You can't get theya , from heya.
I remember a great resteraunt where they steam lobsters outside on a pier in SW Harbor
Did you make the top of Cadillac Mountain to see the earliest sunrise in the US?

i live here....27 miles from Acadia! i love this time of year and the early sunrises.....!!! by june 21st, we will have sunrise near 4:30 am!!!

We still rented a cottage on the island for vacation though....YES, we went to Cadillac mountain and have some GREAT pics from up there that i am uploading now!

Forum List

Back