I thought the Right were supposed to be the hate mongers

KarlMarx

May 9, 2004
Have you noticed how it has been cool or even expected to hate George W. Bush amongst the Left?

I was in a bookstore yesterday and noticed how many books have titles like "101 reasons to hate George W. Bush". Of course the RNC is going to show us all the hate and vitriol that the Left has for Bush as well.

So, isn't that hate mongering?

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary

"monger" noun
"a person who attempts to stir up or spread something that is usually petty or discreditable -- usually used in combination"

So doesn't this definition mean that the Left is now guilty of hate mongering?

unfortunately, today's public figures believe more in discrediting their foes rather than crediting themselves. Ronald Reagan was the last political person that I can actually admire. As much as I can't stand Charles Schumer's politics he has about an 80% respect rating from me too. He's let his party a little too much freedom in bashing for me.

Neither party should be hate mongers. You don't need to hate someone just because their political beliefs are different. You don't even need to dislike "them", just disagree.

Don't politicians understand that's why so few people are actively involved in voting and otherwise taking care of their communities? They don't adopt such hatred and get very disillusioned by it all.

KarlMarx said:
Have you noticed how it has been cool or even expected to hate George W. Bush amongst the Left?

I was in a bookstore yesterday and noticed how many books have titles like "101 reasons to hate George W. Bush". Of course the RNC is going to show us all the hate and vitriol that the Left has for Bush as well.

So, isn't that hate mongering?

From the Merriam-Webster dictionary

"monger" noun
"a person who attempts to stir up or spread something that is usually petty or discreditable -- usually used in combination"

So doesn't this definition mean that the Left is now guilty of hate mongering?

Yep...It's an example of how polarized this country is. The pols can't debate the issues, so they whip their supporters into a frenzy of hatred. The whole thing is a grotesque mockery of the political process, and will only serve to destroy the country, not preserve the Republic.

Bullypulpit said:
Yep...It's an example of how polarized this country is. The pols can't debate the issues, so they whip their supporters into a frenzy of hatred. The whole thing is a grotesque mockery of the political process, and will only serve to destroy the country, not preserve the Republic.

Hollow words coming from you. Your responses to most who disagree with you are prefaced by personal attacks and arrogant, insulting phraseology. Your venemous, petty little diatribes are intended to denigrate the individual rather than address the issue.

And now here you are pontificating about politicians being unable to debate issues without resorting to sleazy tactics. You're being just a little hypocritical, don't you think?

Merlin1047 said:
Hollow words coming from you. Your responses to most who disagree with you are prefaced by personal attacks and arrogant, insulting phraseology. Your venemous, petty little diatribes are intended to denigrate the individual rather than address the issue.

And now here you are pontificating about politicians being unable to debate issues without resorting to sleazy tactics. You're being just a little hypocritical, don't you think?

I only give as good as I get.

Bullypulpit said:
I only give as good as I get.

Not true Bully. You have been condescending to me, while I wasn't to you. I don't give til I get.

Bullypulpit said:

I would say that, lately, the Democrats have been far more guilty of this sort of thing than the Republicans.

The Democrats have mastered the art of defining issues with trite slogans ("Bush lied People Died", "No War for Oil", "Bush has to go", "Stolen Election"). It is getting to the point where you can't distinguish a Democrat from a parrot.

This indicates several things to me:

1. The Democrats don't really have much to stand on, issue wise. Many of their positions would not survive 5 minutes of rigorous logical analysis.

2. The Democrats are either too blind politically to realize #1 or do realize it, but just don't care. Either way, they are trying to gain power.

3. The Democratic Leadership has a very cynical attitude towards people's intellectual capabilities (in other words, they think we're all stupid). As a result they use slogans so that we plebians can understand what they are saying. Unfortunately, they have been proven right in many cases (one can just turn on the TV set this week to see what I mean!)

Also, the Democrats seem to have become Zen masters of creating issues out of non-issues. A classic example is their claim that because Bush can't pronounce the word "nuclear", he is dumb and therefore should not be president.

The Democrats' tactic of winning the political argument is through the effective use of hysteria, hyperbole disguised as fact and demonization of the other side.

Bullypulpit said:

Actually the republicans are ready and willing to debate the issues. Kerry will not discuss his plans, and instead has a two pronged approach of glittering generality and personal smear. If kerry could discuss the issues beyond a one sentence sound bit, maybe we could have a real discussion nationally.

As long as the situation remains as it is in Washington, D.C., nothing worthwhile to the nation will ever get done. And in addition, fewer and fewer talented people will opt to run for national office. We are fortunate that someone of Bush's integrity and leadership ability was willing to run for President and expose himself to such partisan wickedness.

Forum List

Back