I thought that this might be interesting...

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
If it taste good ... hehehe

They are good - one club here in NJ has a contest with them! I will get you one when your here! :p:

Originally posted by fuzzykitten99
I post in some other message boards, and someone there gave me an idea, so credit goes to them.

How about we take some time off politics for a moment, and list where you live or grew up, and if possible, a little history about the town. I like to learn about places other people live. This is just out of curiosity, mind you, I just thought it would be kinda fun.

I live in Coon Rapids, MN. It is appx 22 miles Northwest of Minneapolis. I grew up in Mounds View, MN, which is about 12 miles North of Minneapolis. Next month, I will be moving to Anoka, which is right next to Coon Rapids.

Coon Rapids was founded in 1857, and is appx 23 square miles, it is right on the Mississippi. We are known for the regional park and dam. Population is about 61,500. This makes Coon Rapids the 5th largest suburb in the state.

coon Rapids is part of Anoka-Hennepin SD #11

here is the city history: http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/information/history.htm

Mounds View:
Township was created May 11, 1858, the day Minnesota became a state. The town is also home to an old WWII small arms arsenal, that is no longer running, but is used for military storage and some training operations. The city is appx 4 sq. miles, and is a part of the Mounds View SD #621.

Anoka:
Anoka is the Halloween Capitol of the World.

I copied the below info from the city website:

The two rivers, Rum and Mississippi, played an integral part in Anoka's settlement. Father Lewis Hennepin first visited this area in 1680 and settlers came to stay in 1844. Prior to the 1800's, the area surrounding Anoka was claimed by the Dakota, but later the Ojibwa pushed the Dakota westward across the Mississippi. The territory of Anoka then became a neutral ground between the two tribes. The name Anoka was derived from two Indian words, the Dakota word A-NO-KA-TAN-HAN meaning on both sides of the river, and the Ojibwa word ON-O-KAY, meaning working waters.

The first settler in the Anoka area was Joseph Belanger who built a log cabin on the east side of the Rum River near its mouth. Initially, the cabin was used as a trading post with the Indians, but later was used as a temporary home for a number of early settlers.

In the late 1840's, the first logging operations took place in the Anoka area. The logs were floated down the Rum River to the Mississippi River to the sawmill in St. Anthony. In 1853, the first dam was constructed on the Rum River at its present location and in 1854 the first sawmill began operation. Other saw mills, wood working plants, and copper shops quickly sprang up along the banks of the Rum River using water as their source of power. For the next twenty years milling was an important industry in Anoka.

After the decline of the sawmills in late 1885, a Board of Trade was organized to encourage other industries to move to Anoka. In 1886, a potato starch factory was built on the west side of the Rum River north of the dam. During this time, before the Red River Valley opened, Anoka was the center of potato production. Also operating at this time was the Anoka Shoe Factory which employed 80 people and produced 800 pairs of shoes per day. In 1898, a bill was passed by the state legislature to construct a state hospital in Anoka. The hospital is now known as the Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center.

In 1856, a ferry was established across the Mississippi river, connecting Anoka with the City of Champlin. After 28 years of operation, the ferry was replaced in 1884 by a steel bridge. The bridge had a turntable in the middle, operated by a hand winch that opened up two channels to allow boats to pass up or down the river. Other transportation in that era was a horse-drawn streetcar system and rail service to St. Paul.

The City of Anoka's development was severely damaged by fire during its early years. Five major fires between 1855 and 1884 impeded the City's development. The worst fire in the downtown area, in 1884, destroyed 86 buildings from the Rum River to Third Avenue. Eventually this whole section was rebuilt. Again, tragedy struck the City in 1939. A tornado swept through the east side of town. Many homes, a church, and the armory were destroyed and three lives were lost. However, Anoka again persevered and completely rebuilt the damaged area.

It is believed that Anoka was the first city in the United States to put on a Halloween celebration. In early 1920, Anoka merchants and other interested citizens joined together in a move to stop Halloween pranks. The idea was to have a big Halloween party for all the children with free candy and lots of entertainment. In October of 1920, Anoka had its first Halloween celebration. The celebration has been held every year since, with the exception of two years during WWII. Anoka considers itself to be the "Halloween Capital of the World" and now has many events during October including football games, costume contests, block parties, Grey Ghost 5k run, and two parades.

--- Let's hear from other members.

Born on an American Air Force base in Badkonstach (I'm not sure if that's how you spell it, probably not) Germany.

Lived in London England for a couple of years

Lived in Paris France for a couple of years.

Parents got out of army, move to Miami Flordia

Was there a a couple more years.

Then I moved up here to Reading PA, I lived in that hellhole for a couple more years.

I now live in the nice small borough of West Reading PA.

Originally posted by Sir Evil
WTF - I thought they were called slippery nipples?

'Buttery Nipple' is Baileys & Butterscotch Schnapps or Buttershots

'Slippery Nipple' Is Baileys & Peppermint Schnapps

Another good shot for girls is a 'Carrot Cake'. It's Baileys, Kahlua & splash of Hot Damn. The sugar & alcohol gets'em every time.

Maybe a 'Leg Spreader' which is fruity.

'Dead Frog' looks bad/ tastes good.

'Red Snapper' --Crown, Amaretto, splash Cranberry juice.

Guess what I do for a living?!

Originally posted by Joz
Originally posted by Sir Evil
WTF - I thought they were called slippery nipples?

'Buttery Nipple' is Baileys & Butterscotch Schnapps or Buttershots

'Slippery Nipple' Is Baileys & Peppermint Schnapps

Another good shot for girls is a 'Carrot Cake'. It's Baileys, Kahlua & splash of Hot Damn. The sugar & alcohol gets'em every time.

Maybe a 'Leg Spreader' which is fruity.

'Dead Frog' looks bad/ tastes good.

'Red Snapper' --Crown, Amaretto, splash Cranberry juice.

Guess what I do for a living?!
Either you drink or you are a bartender? How in the world do you remember all those names??

I remember one from college that was called something like "slow screw up against the wall"...or was that just what the guys called it??!!

Originally posted by Moi
Either you drink or you are a bartender? How in the world do you remember all those names??
I remember one from college that was called something like "slow screw up against the wall"...or was that just what the guys called it??!!

I don't drink....but I am a bartender.

A 'Sloe screw' is a sloe gin drink. Each time a certain ingredient is added it changes the name.
Next comes a 'Sloe comfortable screw'. Then yours, 'Sloe comfortable screw against the wall'. And finally, ' Sloe comfortable screw against the wall and backwards".

So many of the same drinks have different names so sometimes you just have to ask. Just like it's a 'Buttery Nipple' if a guy orders it but it's a 'Slippery Dick' if a woman orders it.

Ninety percent of the time, if you order a beer the first time in, I will have it waiting for you when you walk in the door again long before I ever remember your name! But then there are those few that I can never seem to remember whether they drink from the bottle of use a glass. Irritates the heck out of me!

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
Thank you Jeff !!! See Janeen I am not the only one !!!

HAHAHAHAHA! Glad to know Im not the only one either!

Jagerbombs are a little expensive, but they're good. It's just Jagermeister (sp?) and Red Bull. Gets you drunk and gives you energy at the same time. And you can't really taste the alcohol, so it's kind of a chick drink.

Originally posted by Dan
Jagerbombs are a little expensive, but they're good. It's just Jagermeister (sp?) and Red Bull. Gets you drunk and gives you energy at the same time. And you can't really taste the alcohol, so it's kind of a chick drink.

Curious what you pay for a jager bomb?

The purpose of the Red Bull is to put the alcohol into your bloodstream quicker. If you're not a jager fan you can mix it with another. Got some who like vodka & bull.

If you are a Jager fan try a 'Hot F**k' shot. It's equal parts Jager & Hot Damn

Curious what you pay for a jager bomb?

Not sure, really, every time I've had one it's been on someone else's tab:D . It's a lot, though, like $8 or something. We have to use mini-bottles in SC, so maybe that's why it's so much?

Originally posted by Moi
Man, I don't know who comes up with those names. I don't drink either but when I did it was Jack, straight. Why fool around?

Pretty hard core. :D

I think the names are to cause some embarrassment when you ask for the drink. Take a person of the opposite sex of the bartender, asking the bartender, " Hey, can you give me a "Royal F**k"?

Some more shooters-- 'Bitch' / 'Whoop Ass' / 'Screaming Orgasm'

'Black & Blue' seems to popular around here with some of the younger set.

A nice cocktail, not too alcoholly (guys--if you want to buy a girl a drink) is an 'Orangecicle'---amaretto/oj/cream OR a 'Nuts & Berries'---frangelico/razzmatazz/ cream. sometimes amaretto is added too.

The reason I've given you the ingredients is you should know what you're drinking. And, it's helpful to the bartender if they've never heard of the drink you want or know it by another name. It's not very nice to play 'stump the bartender' or 'let's see if we can be superior'.

Originally posted by Joz
The reason I've given you the ingredients is you should know what you're drinking. And, it's helpful to the bartender if they've never heard of the drink you want or know it by another name. It's not very nice to play 'stump the bartender' or 'let's see if we can be superior'.

Joz, you know what a Lynchburg Lemonade is, right? Reason I ask is that half the freakin' bartenders up here give me the blank stare when I ask for that! :mad: Stupid non-Southern bartenders...

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Joz, you know what a Lynchburg Lemonade ......

Here goes:

I oz. Jack Daniels
1/2 oz. Triple Sec
3 oz. Sweet & Sour mix ( bar mix or bar lemon--whatever they call it)
1/2 oz. Soda (or 7-up)

Give your bartender this recipe and be nice. :D

(it has more to do with knowledge than region--then maybe, they just haven't heard of the drink. There's alot of those for me)

Originally posted by Dan
Not sure, really, every time I've had one it's been on someone else's tab:D . It's a lot, though, like $8 or something. We have to use mini-bottles in SC, so maybe that's why it's so much?

So, you're telling me that your jager bombs come pre-bottled?

Eight dollars seems high to me but then it also has to do with the area in which you live. One fellow told me he bought 2 mixed drinks, somewhere near here, and paid $18 for them.

We charge $5 because that's the going rate around here. But most of our highballs are between $2 & $3.

Bacardi & coke -$2
Jack & coke $2.50
Crown & coke $3

That's what the shots cost too---it's just whether you want it straight- mixed-or a chaser.

Speciality drinks are alway higher.

Forum List

Back