I thought that this might be interesting...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I post in some other message boards, and someone there gave me an idea, so credit goes to them.

How about we take some time off politics for a moment, and list where you live or grew up, and if possible, a little history about the town. I like to learn about places other people live. This is just out of curiosity, mind you, I just thought it would be kinda fun.

I live in Coon Rapids, MN. It is appx 22 miles Northwest of Minneapolis. I grew up in Mounds View, MN, which is about 12 miles North of Minneapolis. Next month, I will be moving to Anoka, which is right next to Coon Rapids.

Coon Rapids was founded in 1857, and is appx 23 square miles, it is right on the Mississippi. We are known for the regional park and dam. Population is about 61,500. This makes Coon Rapids the 5th largest suburb in the state.

coon Rapids is part of Anoka-Hennepin SD #11

here is the city history: http://www.ci.coon-rapids.mn.us/information/history.htm

Mounds View:
Township was created May 11, 1858, the day Minnesota became a state. The town is also home to an old WWII small arms arsenal, that is no longer running, but is used for military storage and some training operations. The city is appx 4 sq. miles, and is a part of the Mounds View SD #621.

Anoka:
Anoka is the Halloween Capitol of the World.

I copied the below info from the city website:

The two rivers, Rum and Mississippi, played an integral part in Anoka's settlement. Father Lewis Hennepin first visited this area in 1680 and settlers came to stay in 1844. Prior to the 1800's, the area surrounding Anoka was claimed by the Dakota, but later the Ojibwa pushed the Dakota westward across the Mississippi. The territory of Anoka then became a neutral ground between the two tribes. The name Anoka was derived from two Indian words, the Dakota word A-NO-KA-TAN-HAN meaning on both sides of the river, and the Ojibwa word ON-O-KAY, meaning working waters.

The first settler in the Anoka area was Joseph Belanger who built a log cabin on the east side of the Rum River near its mouth. Initially, the cabin was used as a trading post with the Indians, but later was used as a temporary home for a number of early settlers.

In the late 1840's, the first logging operations took place in the Anoka area. The logs were floated down the Rum River to the Mississippi River to the sawmill in St. Anthony. In 1853, the first dam was constructed on the Rum River at its present location and in 1854 the first sawmill began operation. Other saw mills, wood working plants, and copper shops quickly sprang up along the banks of the Rum River using water as their source of power. For the next twenty years milling was an important industry in Anoka.

After the decline of the sawmills in late 1885, a Board of Trade was organized to encourage other industries to move to Anoka. In 1886, a potato starch factory was built on the west side of the Rum River north of the dam. During this time, before the Red River Valley opened, Anoka was the center of potato production. Also operating at this time was the Anoka Shoe Factory which employed 80 people and produced 800 pairs of shoes per day. In 1898, a bill was passed by the state legislature to construct a state hospital in Anoka. The hospital is now known as the Anoka-Metro Regional Treatment Center.

In 1856, a ferry was established across the Mississippi river, connecting Anoka with the City of Champlin. After 28 years of operation, the ferry was replaced in 1884 by a steel bridge. The bridge had a turntable in the middle, operated by a hand winch that opened up two channels to allow boats to pass up or down the river. Other transportation in that era was a horse-drawn streetcar system and rail service to St. Paul.

The City of Anoka's development was severely damaged by fire during its early years. Five major fires between 1855 and 1884 impeded the City's development. The worst fire in the downtown area, in 1884, destroyed 86 buildings from the Rum River to Third Avenue. Eventually this whole section was rebuilt. Again, tragedy struck the City in 1939. A tornado swept through the east side of town. Many homes, a church, and the armory were destroyed and three lives were lost. However, Anoka again persevered and completely rebuilt the damaged area.

It is believed that Anoka was the first city in the United States to put on a Halloween celebration. In early 1920, Anoka merchants and other interested citizens joined together in a move to stop Halloween pranks. The idea was to have a big Halloween party for all the children with free candy and lots of entertainment. In October of 1920, Anoka had its first Halloween celebration. The celebration has been held every year since, with the exception of two years during WWII. Anoka considers itself to be the "Halloween Capital of the World" and now has many events during October including football games, costume contests, block parties, Grey Ghost 5k run, and two parades.

--- Let's hear from other members.

I have moved so many times that I have no home and I come from nowhere. I've lived in cities (like New York City) and podunk places like Haymarket, Virginia.

If I had to choose where my bones call home it'd be Blacksburg, Virginia. It's my favorite place on earth.

HEY! nothing wrong with hicks.....I hear that Im one.

lol

:p:

This next statement will make me among the top 5 hated on the USMB, but you should HEAR the shit I give DK about his yankee-ness. whew! Its THICK!

Please do! My life's ambition is to give him shit and the more I can get on the bandwagon, the better!:dev1:

I dont refer to it as pop - Im too southern to EVER say pop lol

Most of the yankees I know say pop

I think I do - why? I must be missing something here LOL

He pronounces things WEIRD!

Umm, we may want to give Dan credit for the original thread! after all he is the poll king!
:D

Yeah, I always get compliments on my poll. Haw haw haw.:rolleyes:

And I don't know why people expect us Yankees to say 'pop', but most of us don't. I got made fun of hard Freshman year for saying 'soda', though. I was informed that it's called Coke, even if you're drinking a Mountain Dew. And we wonder why the south has the lowest education level in the state! ;)

I think us real yankees pronounce it like dawg!

Yeah, that was the one that I used to get picked on about in middle/high school. I used to get three, four people a day coming up to me: "say 'dog'!"

Born in Rahway hospital in NJ, and was raised in Colonia, NJ. Small town part of Woodbridge township in central Jersey. Lived in Colonia for about 20 years before moving to Fords (about 5 miles away). Then moved to Arlington, VA for a short stint before moving back to Keasbey, NJ (about 5 miles as well from Colonia). Lived a few years there before making a big change and moving to Queens, NY. Lived in Queens for a year before going a bit north to Bronxville, NY (about 10 miles north of NYC). Lived there for 2 years. Then bought a home in Larchmont, NY in 1999 and have been here ever since.

I was born in JFK Hospital (I think) in NJ. I, too, lived in Colonia, NJ. At age 11, I moved to Orangeburg, SC, which is more or less in the middle of the state. I lived there until I was 18, which is when I moved to Aiken, which is right on the SC/GA border. I've been living here for 3 years.

Born in Houston, TX (that's right, NATIVE Texan!)

Moved to Dallas, or somewhere near there, age 1-3.

Moved back to Houston (Humble, specifially, near the airport) age 3.

Moved to LA (Grenada Hills, specifically) at age 4.

Moved back to Humble, ages 5-13.

Moved in with dad and stepmom in Honolulu, HI age 13-15.

Moved to Gig Harbor, WA (south of Seattle) at age 15-17.

Went to college at West Point, NY, which is 45 minutes up the Hudson from NYC, age 17-21.

Lived in Huntsville, AL, for four months in 1998.

Moved to Tacoma, WA (right next to Gig Harbor) in 1999.

Got married - moved to Edgewood, WA, in 2002, then moved to
Puyallup, the neighboring town, last fall.

Don't plan on moving anytime soon.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
It's called Coke, even if you're drinking Pepsi, 7Up, Mountian Dew, Big Red, etc.

Thank you Jeff !!! See Janeen I am not the only one !!!

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
Thank you Jeff !!! See Janeen I am not the only one !!!

Well, you come here and ask for a coke, that's exactly what your going to get! that's a Reneck for you!

That's Ok I like a good fizzy Coke !! Or a Pina Colada whichever is fine !! How about some shots ?? I like Buttery Nipple Shots !

Originally posted by JAMES UHLRICH
That's Ok I like a good fizzy Coke !! Or a Pina Colada whichever is fine !! How about some shots ?? I like Buttery Nipple Shots !

Bet your favorite shot is "blowjobs" ahhahahahaha! :p:

Forum List

Back