I Thought Only Whites Were Racist?

I agree. But I had a particularly challenging year last year with a few bonafide racists and some jokers. It is very difficult to distinguish. I found myself saying daily "No more racial comments please" which sometimes ended up with "Lighten up Ms C" or feeling I wasn't being tough enough. Fine line.

I think the schools should do more to promote our common values; not just differences.

That would certainly help.

Immie

I've been expecting exactly this response to the illegal immigrant situation for quite some time and I'm surprised it's taken this long to manifest. The fact is undocumented workers have invaded the pecking order in the unskilled labor market and this is the inevitable reaction.

While the conflict appears to be racial there is an underlying economic factor.

While this may be true, I don't really think calling someone a <insert racial slur> before kicking their ass should qualify as a hate crime. Me calling someone a fat bastard before kicking their ass doesn't mean that I hate all fat people. But going out looking to kick the ass of any/every fat person should.

I think that's an instant qualifier myself if it is a random act of violence.

Now if it's some folks who know each other and have a problem with each other, that's another story.

While this may be true, I don't really think calling someone a <insert racial slur> before kicking their ass should qualify as a hate crime. Me calling someone a fat bastard before kicking their ass doesn't mean that I hate all fat people. But going out looking to kick the ass of any/every fat person should.
I agree completely.

I agree completely.

Randomly attacking someone for being fat is as hateful as doing it for their race.

I don't get what qualifies as a non hate crime? Nobody ever got beat up out of love.

The problem with cries of "racism" and "hate crimes" about every situation where people have different skin tones, is that it diminishes any REAL discussion on REAL hate. The race card is thrown around here daily and it pisses me off. Yes we have differences. Yes there are stereotypes. Yes people make inappropriate jokes. That doesn't constitute hate. Recognizing negative influences in the urban community or wanting immigration reform has nothing to do with hate. Criminal behavior should be denounced by everyone of every color.

Knock it off race baiters. You are hurting your own cause.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

As it pertains to the immigration issue, many races take offense and violent reaction is surely destined to ensue.
Racism in general continues to flourish in all ethnically diverse areas.

Forum List

Back