I Thought Libs Supported Free Speech

Only the right would leave a city full of black people suffer for DAYS after a hurrincae flooded their city. Republicans at their best..

OWNED !!!!!!

t was the Dems in NO that did nothing to help the stupid people who stayed with a Cat 5 storm heading for them

I agree with maineman, its wrong to pull emergency warnings, on any station, especially because you dont like them politically.

So is it wrong to not air emergency warnings on any station? Because that is what happens all the time. Every city and county government chooses ONE radio and television channel to air official emergency broadcasts and the rest of them either informs viewers/listeners to turn the channel/station that is airing the emergency broadcast. The decision here was a simple one for the County to make, "would I as a County Commissioner listen to this radio station" and if the answer is no than how would I expect anyone else to do the same. The safety of ALL county residents and not just those who choose to listen to this station or who aren't boycotting it is important enough to choose a station that no one would find so offensive that they would refuse to listen to it. Take for example, you have a lot of Christians in your county and the radio station that you choose to air official emergency broadcasts play songs whose lyrics contain profanity would you as a Christian want to turn to the station to wait for the emergency broadcast if you would be exposed to these songs? The answer is clearly no and that is the case with many people who refuse to listen to Fox News. If the county decided to use Fox News as its official emergency broadcast provider that would be a fundamental violation of the rights of those who refuse to watch Fox News under any circumstance. The same goes for CNN, MSNBC, or any other channel or radio station. There are numerous stations that can be the official broadcast provider and all the others can inform their viewers and listeners of such broadcasts and inform them to change the channel or station to tune in to the broadcast.

The real reason is in the story

Commissioner Stacy Ritter said she did not want to support a station that's out of step with area politics. Ritter, a Democratic stalwart in the state Legislature before being elected to county office, cited talk shows hosted by Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and WIOD's partnership with Fox News.

This is a valid reason and it is the reason I have stated to support them pulling the official emergency broadcast from the station. There are many people who will not listen to this station under any circumstance and Stacy Ritter is probably one of those people and if a County Commissioner wouldn't want to listen to the radio station than it is her duty to protect those in the county who would not be informed of an emergency because it is aired on a station they refuse to listen to. It's called "freedom of speech" and "freedom of association" but I know conservatives hate both.

Typical liberal - if you do not like what someone says they want to silence them. Libs have been trying to compete with Rush and have failed

It is not silencing someone to refuse to support a radio station and to drive listeners to that station. That is a violation of the rights of all those in the county who refuse to listen to that station under any circumstance. These are the people who will not be warned. If Stacy Ritter who is a county commissioners feels this strongly about the radio station that she would vote to choose a different official emergency broadcast provider than I suspect others in the county feel just as strongly. Let me break it down for you: PEOPLE WILL DIE IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO EMERGENCY BROADCASTS AND IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO THIS RADIO STATION (I.E., BECAUSE IT CONTAINS PROFANITY, MUSIC OR COMMENTARY THEY FIND OFFENSIVE) THEN THEY ARE PLACED IN DANGER. It is a violation of the rights of the people of that county to use a radio station for emergency broadcasts that a specific population would not listen to under any circumstance and that is the case with this radio station (the population that Stacy Ritter represents including her family does not listen to this station and she like them would die if there was an emergency because they wouldn't be listening to the station or would refuse to tune-in). I know you want the government to support this station and to drive listeners to it but the government cannot do so when it could cost people their lives. The role of the government isn't to act as a source of income, revenue and viewership for radio stations instead it is to choose a radio station that isn't overtly offensive to anyone and to use it as an official emergency broadcast provider.

Rush is a goldmine to the station and the sponsors who pay to run ads during his show This is just yet another liberal having a temper tantrum

It may well be that Rush is a goldmine to the station and to the sponsors who pay for ads but the County isn't going to help Rush, the station and their sponsors to make more money when it puts county residents in danger. And it isn't a tantrum to try to protect the lives of people who won't listen to a radio station and who boycott Rush, the station and their sponsors and I do not want them to die simply because the government chooses to use this station as the official emergency provider when there are stations which no one would object to tuning into. It would be funny to see some counties use radio stations that play songs with lyrics that contain profanities and then when there is an emergency I will laugh my ass off as a Christian family tunes into it to listen for an emergency broadcast to repeat and hear explicit lyrics." That will crack me up but then that is different isn't? Somehow that wouldn't be okay? Since the population that won't listen is a population that you are a part of. This is the exact same issue and one that the County Commission sought to address. People like Stacy Ritter choose not to listen to this radio station because of the content being aired and it is a violation of the rights of those who refuse to listen to it to force them to do so by using it as the official emergency broadcast provider when there are other stations which can be chosen that no one would object to tuning into. This is an informed and intelligent decision based on the fact that even members of the County Commission do not want their families supporting this station.

The slimeballs are the libs who want to pressure a radio station into droping a program they disagree with

How is it going to pressure this station? Are you saying that the station has no listeners except for the fact that they are the official emergency broadcast provider? I doubt that very much and if that is the case and the county is carrying this radio station and providing it with its listeners and source of income than the radio station can take appropriate action to have the county choose to use it as the emergency broadcast provider but I doubt the county should be be used as a way to benefit any radio station to that degree. This action on the part of the county was not intended to pressure the radio station into dropping a program that they disagree with instead it is intended as a way to not use or support a radio station that does when doing so puts people who refuse to listen to the station in danger.

Is this another version of the Fairness Doctrine - do what we tell you or else?

No, that would be you who thinks the county should do what "you tell them or else." You think the County should support this station. At the root here you are arguing that the County should in fact support this radio station because you argue that not using them as the official emergency broadcast provider is a "way to pressure them" and if that is the case then there is a problem because it would mean that using them is a way of "supporting them" and that goes to the very argument made by the County Commissioners. If there is such a negative impact on this station that it somehow prevents Rush Limbaugh or their listeners from exercising their free speech right you would have a point but that impact doesn't exist. They have other venues and other sources of listeners and therefore it makes no sense to force people who refuse to listen to that station to do so because it is the official emergency broadcast provider.

It looks like the libs are going to fold on this issue

Battered by criticism, Broward may keep deal with Rush Limbaugh radio station

By Scott Wyman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted June 14 2007

Radio station WIOD likely will remain Broward County's official channel for emergency information despite concerns it is also home to conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh.

County commissioners said they were deluged with complaints from throughout the country Wednesday after they questioned whether to cut their ties with the station because of their dislike for Limbaugh. By the end of the day, a majority of commissioners vowed to renew WIOD's agreement next week.

Limbaugh responded to the commissioners Wednesday on his radio show, saying the qualms about WIOD were a sign of out-of-control partisanship in the nation.

"They are politicizing the delivery of emergency news, which is non-partisan," Limbaugh said.

The all-Democrat commission was on the verge of rejecting the WIOD contract when it instead delayed a decision to get more information about why its staff favored the station and what its other options are. The firestorm began when Commissioner Stacy Ritter said she didn't want to patronize the station because of Limbaugh and other conservative programming.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...un14,0,3927815.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

If the delivery of emergency news is non-partisan then why are people forced to support a station that is partisan so they can listen to emergency broadcasts? Stacy Ritter had a point when she said she did not want to patronie the station but now it appears that those who do not want to patronize this station will be FORCED TO DO SO IF THEY WANT TO LIVE. What this issue comes down to is: "who is being warned and who isn't" if the radio station continues to be the official emergency broadcast provider. Apparently, Stacy Ritter had BETTER DECIDE TO PATRONIZE THIS STATION IF SHE WANTS TO HEAR EMERGENCY BROADCASTS AND IF SHE DOESN'T SHE CAN WATCH AS SHE AND HER FAMILY DIE BECAUSE THEY REFUSE TO SUPPORT THE STATION. It doesn't matter to those who want the County to support this station that there are other stations which are not so offensive that everyone would refuse to listen to them. If this is the route they take than those who refuse to listen to this station should sue the county, and the radio station. Of course, the county could solve the issue by simply having more than one official emergency broadcast provider even though that wouldn't be cost effective or efficient but at least liberals who refuse to support and patronize this station can also be warned in emergencies without being forced to support this station.

Will libs say the right wing attack machine forced the innocent Dems into giving up their good fight?

I suspect this issue will be decided in court if the County chooses to keep this station as the official emergency broadcast provder as the rights of people who refuse to listen to or support this station would be violated and their families placed in danger because the County chooses to support a radio station that they refuse to listen to. The burden on them is one of "listen to this partisan station or die" while the burden on the station is "don't be partisan or don't gain viewers from the fact that you are the official emergency broadcast provider for the county." I wonder whose rights are really being violated? :lol:

Only the right would leave a city full of black people suffer for DAYS after a hurrincae flooded their city. Republicans at their best..

OWNED !!!!!!

The state of Louisiana is run by Democrats...we are talking local issues here, simpleton.

The fact is that the Left is indeed saying that we don't want to warn you of a disaster because Rush Limbaugh is carried on this station.

As maineman said, warnings should be universal. End of story.

The fact is that the Left is indeed saying that we don't want to warn you of a disaster because Rush Limbaugh is carried on this station.

Some on the left...don't paint ME with that brush. I will admit that my side has some not-so-smart folks.... but they do not represent my political ideology or my party, for the most part.:rofl:

Liberals have no problem shouting down people or preventing them from delivering their message. It is not conservatives that organize bull horn carrying groups to try and shout down legally authorized speech at rallies, nor is it the Conservatives that try to throw pie or other items at speakers to prevent them from deliverying a message they were scheduled to deliver.

Conservatives do not sneak party hacks disguised as the opposition into Conventions for the other party in an effort to disrypt or prevent key speeches. The Conservatives do not break into Liberal party headquarters and destroy equipment and property and deface said property in order to disrupt the legal right of others. Nordo Conservatives slash the tires of cars and vans that are to be used to carry peole from a different party to the polls..

Free speech is only supported by the left when it APPLIES to their FREE SPEECH. Clinton had, for 8 years, a policy to rope off and prevent dissendent groups at his rallies and speeches. No one cared a damn, no reports in the Main stream press and no coverage of the steps Clinton went to to silence opposition. But as soon as Bush did anything even remotely similar, it was all over the press.

I seem to recall a right wing nut bag who blew up a building with children in it in Oklahoma some place.

I also seem to recall some nut bags blowing up clinics with pregnant women too?

your an idiot. The Mayor screwed up. But the president did nothing to help them after days upon days of no aid. It was the fuckign republicans and FEMA who didnt do jack squat for almost a freaking week there. The president came and promised aid none of which never came to some untill weeks later. LOOK IT UP Imbecile.

The state of Louisiana is run by Democrats...we are talking local issues here, simpleton.

As maineman said, warnings should be universal. End of story.

I think the KKK and such groups would be considered right wing also.

The Republican Party threw out all exetreme right wingers LONG ago. Meanwhile the Dems let the extreme left wing RUN the National party. They even let them hound out of the party the Vice President nominee from 2000 because he wasn't foaming at the mouth liberal enough for them.

McVey was NEVER in charge of anything in ANY party. And last I checked his crazy idea was that the Government ( no matter who ran it) was bad. The KKK are not members of the Republican Party, in fact the ONLY person I know of that openly admits he was a Grand Klegal in that organization is a LONG serving Democratic Senator.

Try again Liesareallthatmatters. Maybe next time you will actually provide something other than left wing foaming drival.

This is a valid reason and it is the reason I have stated to support them pulling the official emergency broadcast from the station. There are many people who will not listen to this station under any circumstance and Stacy Ritter is probably one of those people and if a County Commissioner wouldn't want to listen to the radio station than it is her duty to protect those in the county who would not be informed of an emergency because it is aired on a station they refuse to listen to. It's called "freedom of speech" and "freedom of association" but I know conservatives hate both.

So the logic is that you should get your cake and eat it too? To make absolutely sure that no one who doesn't want to hear Rush even though it happens to be the same station the emergency broadcast is on? makes perfect sense

It is not silencing someone to refuse to support a radio station and to drive listeners to that station. That is a violation of the rights of all those in the county who refuse to listen to that station under any circumstance.

A violation of what right specifically?

These are the people who will not be warned. If Stacy Ritter who is a county commissioners feels this strongly about the radio station that she would vote to choose a different official emergency broadcast provider than I suspect others in the county feel just as strongly. Let me break it down for you: PEOPLE WILL DIE IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO EMERGENCY BROADCASTS AND IF THEY DON'T LISTEN TO THIS RADIO STATION (I.E., BECAUSE IT CONTAINS PROFANITY, MUSIC OR COMMENTARY THEY FIND OFFENSIVE) THEN THEY ARE PLACED IN DANGER. It is a violation of the rights of the people of that county to use a radio station for emergency broadcasts that a specific population would not listen to under any circumstance and that is the case with this radio station (the population that Stacy Ritter represents including her family does not listen to this station and she like them would die if there was an emergency because they wouldn't be listening to the station or would refuse to tune-in). I know you want the government to support this station and to drive listeners to it but the government cannot do so when it could cost people their lives. The role of the government isn't to act as a source of income, revenue and viewership for radio stations instead it is to choose a radio station that isn't overtly offensive to anyone and to use it as an official emergency broadcast provider.

The fact is the reason for the suggesting of a chance is completely politcal while the original reason for using that station in the first place is not. That station was chosen simply because that freqeuncy is available to the greatest number of people. This was a proposal that makes zero logical sense. Not only does the station itself cover a wider area than any station there, most likely, it would also be most listened to because, fan or not, Rush is the most listened to radio talk show in the country.

It may well be that Rush is a goldmine to the station and to the sponsors who pay for ads but the County isn't going to help Rush, the station and their sponsors to make more money when it puts county residents in danger. And it isn't a tantrum to try to protect the lives of people who won't listen to a radio station and who boycott Rush,

Boycott all you like. You're honestly going to tell me that if your in the path of the hurricane you're not going to tune to the station that contains life saveing information out of some stupid principle? There is no right that says I have to find some alternative means of communication simply because you have the right to not have your ears assailed with something you don't like

the station and their sponsors and I do not want them to die simply because the government chooses to use this station as the official emergency provider when there are stations which no one would object to tuning into. It would be funny to see some counties use radio stations that play songs with lyrics that contain profanities and then when there is an emergency I will laugh my ass off as a Christian family tunes into it to listen for an emergency broadcast to repeat and hear explicit lyrics." That will crack me up but then that is different isn't? Somehow that wouldn't be okay? Since the population that won't listen is a population that you are a part of. This is the exact same issue and one that the County Commission sought to address. People like Stacy Ritter choose not to listen to this radio station because of the content being aired and it is a violation of the rights of those who refuse to listen to it to force them to do so by using it as the official emergency broadcast provider when there are other stations which can be chosen that no one would object to tuning into. This is an informed and intelligent decision based on the fact that even members of the County Commission do not want their families supporting this station.

Last i checked there was no 'right' as you put it, to make anyone bend over backlwards to appease anothers obstinance.

I seem to recall a right wing nut bag who blew up a building with children in it in Oklahoma some place.

and an eco terror group destroyed a housing complex. The point is? I no more blame 'liberals' for Elf or other ecoterrorist groups, than I do 'conservatives' for Tim McVeigh. Why do you?

I do not blame 'right to lifers' for those that choose to murder in the name of a cause, nor have I ever heard of a priest or minister, no matter how much they deplore abortions, doing anything but condemning such actions.

your an idiot. The Mayor screwed up. But the president did nothing to help them after days upon days of no aid. It was the fuckign republicans and FEMA who didnt do jack squat for almost a freaking week there. The president came and promised aid none of which never came to some untill weeks later. LOOK IT UP Imbecile.

A lie. The ONLY problems in New Orleans wer caused by a Liberal Mayor and Liberal Governor to busy covering their own ass and getting out of the way of the Hurricane.

FEMA was NOT responsible for the screw up in New Orleans, that was the Mayor's fault and compounded by the Governor tieing up National Guard troops to protect her ass and refusing to ask for official help from the Federal Government ( for 3 days I might add)

Want me to go find some of the pictures of the HUNDREDS if not thousands of School busses that were flooded out in their parking lots? While AFTER the storm, when all the road, bridges and comm were out the Mayor, OUT of the City demanded the Federal Government illegally seize all the greyhound busses.

Shall I find the pictures of new Orleans police officers ransacking stores along with citizens? Of local County Police blocking bridges and ordering at gun point the survivors to go somewhere else besides their safe LIBERAL neighborhoods? Shall I get pictures of the ARMY and FEMA in action within hours of the storm hitting risking life and limb to rescue people that were left behind by the LIBERALS that ran their City and State? Shall I remind you of who it was that confiscated the guns of legal residents and refused to provide security?

I think the KKK and such groups would be considered right wing also.

Actually most KKK were democrats. Haven't you heard, the few that are left are fascists, which is not 'conservatives'. Why such broad strokes? Someone must really be pushing your buttons.

Forum List

Back