I Think We Are Doomed

Bill Thompson

Rookie
Apr 20, 2008
I think we are doomed.

I think Obama is going to win and I think the USA is going to suffer in many painful ways. Oh sure, I like Obama. I think it is great that a black guy is going to be president. But the honeymoon is going to be short.

Here, let me explain. He is like John Kennedy and he is like Jimmy Carter. That is a bad thing. Kennedy did not really know when and how to go to war and he got us in a mess in Vietnam. Carter was a passifist and that lead to more conflict.

Jimmy Carter was a great guy. Everyone thought that his passifism would lead to peace. Everyone was WRONG.

Everyone thought Regan was going to be a horrible president. Everyone thought his military build up would lead to war. Everyone was wrong.

Everyone thinks Obama is going to be wonderful. I think everyone is wrong. I think we are doomed.

I heard Obama discussed on a radio program where the host as well as the callers were African American and there were a few people who were excited about Obama but they did not have any good follow-up comments to some of the host's and opposition's concerns. For example, one excited supporter commented on how smart Obama is and how (magically) this means he would be a great president. He seemed to imply that this meant he could fix the economy. When asked directly what economic experience Obama had, the supporter said that he had a law degree from Harvard (wow, magic). But that is a law degree from Harvard and not any economic experience. When pressed on this, the supporter did not have any follow up comment.

I have heard it said that it would be better to have an intelligent guy in the White House rather than an average Joe.

This does not make any sense to me. The Office of the President was formed with someone in mind to fill the position. And that person was a general.

Obama does not have a general's mentality. This was clear in the debates. Obama stresses pulling out of Iraq and focusing our forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

While, logically and intellectually and on the surface this seems like a very intelligent move.

But it isn't. It is not what it seems. It is very poor strategy. But Obama is too confident and has too high an opinion on his own mastery of all things and his capacity to conquer all knowable subjects to see when he is wrong. We are doomed. As General George Patton said, "Never let your enemy choose the battlefield" This is what Obama is going to do. This is what Kennedy did in Vietnam. This is what Carter tried to do in the failed rescue missions in Iran.

It is like electing a damn good friendly negotiator and lawyer to come in and play war games. We are doomed.

I think we are doomed.

I think Obama is going to win and I think the USA is going to suffer in many painful ways. Oh sure, I like Obama. I think it is great that a black guy is going to be president. But the honeymoon is going to be short.

Here, let me explain. He is like John Kennedy and he is like Jimmy Carter. That is a bad thing. Kennedy did not really know when and how to go to war and he got us in a mess in Vietnam. Carter was a passifist and that lead to more conflict.

Jimmy Carter was a great guy. Everyone thought that his passifism would lead to peace. Everyone was WRONG.

Everyone thought Regan was going to be a horrible president. Everyone thought his military build up would lead to war. Everyone was wrong.

Everyone thinks Obama is going to be wonderful. I think everyone is wrong. I think we are doomed.

I heard Obama discussed on a radio program where the host as well as the callers were African American and there were a few people who were excited about Obama but they did not have any good follow-up comments to some of the host's and opposition's concerns. For example, one excited supporter commented on how smart Obama is and how (magically) this means he would be a great president. He seemed to imply that this meant he could fix the economy. When asked directly what economic experience Obama had, the supporter said that he had a law degree from Harvard (wow, magic). But that is a law degree from Harvard and not any economic experience. When pressed on this, the supporter did not have any follow up comment.

I have heard it said that it would be better to have an intelligent guy in the White House rather than an average Joe.

This does not make any sense to me. The Office of the President was formed with someone in mind to fill the position. And that person was a general.

Obama does not have a general's mentality. This was clear in the debates. Obama stresses pulling out of Iraq and focusing our forces in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

While, logically and intellectually and on the surface this seems like a very intelligent move.

But it isn't. It is not what it seems. It is very poor strategy. But Obama is too confident and has too high an opinion on his own mastery of all things and his capacity to conquer all knowable subjects to see when he is wrong. We are doomed. As General George Patton said, "Never let your enemy choose the battlefield" This is what Obama is going to do. This is what Kennedy did in Vietnam. This is what Carter tried to do in the failed rescue missions in Iran.

It is like electing a damn good friendly negotiator and lawyer to come in and play war games. We are doomed.

A great and true post. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have had this feeling of impending doom for a couple of days now.

I literally feel, as if the world is coming to an end, if we do indeed have an Obama win.

It is disconcerting to know, that he somehow managed to hoodwink a huge part of the nation and is subsequently rewarded with the gold.

Fucking ubelieveable!

How do you know he's like Kennedy and Carter? I think he's like FDR.

Experience, usually but not always, leads to wisdom, understanding, and good judgement. Obama has learned from his experiences while McCain hasn't: Bush's economic plan, McCain's healthcare plan, Bush and McCain's war plan, etc.

And, how could you seriously want an average joe over a smart guy? We've had a C average president for 8 years now and look at how well that's turned out. Compare that to Lincoln and the answer becomes quite clear.

Also, when looking throughout American history at presidents like Washington, Grant, Eisenhower, etc., ALL the war generals elected to office did a poor job as president. Washington is cool for stepping down when he didn't have to though.

Since you are so for war, I must ask: are you also for mass genocide? Looking at the big picture, there are two possible strategies to end the war on terror: meeting their demands or killing every single Arab/Muslim in the world. You need to, as Obama has said, start looking for a long-term solution to the war on terror.

I think we will have to fight hard against the lazy union agenda Obama will support, but I have a hard time believing he can top the atrocious private sector job creation, deficit hikes, and massive spending increases we've had under Bush.

IMO Obama wins no matter what ... 1st black president put him up there with MLK without any of the leg work. This is what is most important to Obama. Obama who? If assassinated he still wins.
We lose ...

I have had this feeling of impending doom for a couple of days now.

I had it in November 2000.

Under Clinton, 23 million new jobs, only 8% in gov't sector. Under Bush, just 3 million new jobs, 31% in gov't sector. So 21 million private sector jobs under Clinton vs. 2 million under Bush, surprised a Republican could support the latter.

Under Clinton, 30% increase in Fed spending, under Bush 61%. I'm all for gov't cuts and private sector job growth, but it seems the Republicans aren't anymore.

How do you know he's like Kennedy and Carter? I think he's like FDR.

Experience, usually but not always, leads to wisdom, understanding, and good judgement. Obama has learned from his experiences while McCain hasn't: Bush's economic plan, McCain's healthcare plan, Bush and McCain's war plan, etc.

And, how could you seriously want an average joe over a smart guy? We've had a C average president for 8 years now and look at how well that's turned out. Compare that to Lincoln and the answer becomes quite clear.

Also, when looking throughout American history at presidents like Washington, Grant, Eisenhower, etc., ALL the war generals elected to office did a poor job as president. Washington is cool for stepping down when he didn't have to though.

Since you are so for war, I must ask: are you also for mass genocide? Looking at the big picture, there are two possible strategies to end the war on terror: meeting their demands or killing every single Arab/Muslim in the world. You need to, as Obama has said, start looking for a long-term solution to the war on terror.

Hey!!

I resemble that remark!!

:D

-Joe

IMO Obama wins no matter what ... 1st black president put him up there with MLK without any of the leg work. This is what is most important to Obama. Obama who? If assassinated he still wins.
We lose ...

if assassinated he still wins? are you a retard?

none of the leg work? what do you think he's been doing for the last 20+ months?

His campaign is a grass roots effort by himself and the people who believed in him before the nation caught on. There were people backing Obama before it was cool to be an Obama supporter. He was basically begged to run for POTUS by those supporters and he saw the country needed him and so now he's in the last 48 hours of a campaign that has seen the other side slander him, attempt to demoralize and dehumanize him and yet he's still leading in the polls.

That doesn't come from nothing!

As for being doomed, I guess we should expect a massive Jonestown style suicide watch on November 5th when he's announced the winner huh?

We as a nation ...

Think about it ... if he doesnt win possible riots
if he wins and is assassinated possible riots

The possibilities are high!

I don't think the African American community actually holds out a lot of hope that he'll win. They are voting like never before but in the back of their minds I think they have prepared themselves for his defeat.

As for their being riots if he's assassinated, you are an asshole for even contemplating such an event. Is this wishful thinking on your part? sure seems like it.

I think we are doomed.

Colin Powell and many other generals disagree.. watch the video below for more opinions.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdJUCU1UH2w]YouTube - Republicans and military men on John McCain[/ame]

As for their being riots if he's assassinated, you are an asshole for even contemplating such an event. Is this wishful thinking on your part? sure seems like it.

and you are a bigger asshole to think its not possible especially after a couple failed attempts that we know of already. Kepp comparing him to JFK etc and so on ...
Farrakan calls him the messiah ... what happened to the messiah?

You asshole!!

I think we are doomed.

A General huh? I look back at one great General and President warning us about conflicts of interest and War Profiteers. It seems he was looking into a crystal ball and seeing the Bush administration or even scarier..the modern GOP. When national disaster and wars make our administration officials into filthy-rich men, we have a problem. Eisenhower saw this coming a long time ago. The same crew has been corrupting the GOP through corporatism and disaster capitalism for years. Rummy, Shultz, Cheney, Baker and others have destroyed the party by using the instruments of war through our tax dollars to make themselves rich by way of profiteering companies. It's not McCain or Obama personally who we should fear. It's the real men of power, those behind the curtain. The GOP needs to purged, and until it is, we're forced to support the lesser of two evils. We could very well be saying the same thing about the Dems. in four years but the GOP has very bad rap sheet right now, and people should be outraged.

We are about to elect an intelligent and competent president. Something we haven't had for eight years. I love the whinning from the right, however. What a bunch of pussies!

I think we are doomed.

You thought Reagan was a great president?

Did you have this feeling of doom when Bush took office .. either time?

If not, your doom meter needs adjusting.

You thought Reagan was a great president?

Did you have this feeling of doom when Bush took office .. either time?

If not, your doom meter needs adjusting.

There's no doubt Reagan was a great president. He killed communism with his Star Wars program. Perhaps you were too young to remember.

Bush, with all his faults and I am no Bush fan, we have not a terrorist attack on our soil since 9/11/02. He deserves credit for this and now that it looks like Obama will be president, I guess I will be buying myself a gas mask. He's too friendly with the arabs for him to do a decent job of defending our country from terrorists.

Forum List

Back