I think my bastard skunk may still be hanging around...

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I notice the smell is getting worse in the bathroom.

I'm going to have to tell my landlord and see if the doddering old lady can bring the trapper in.

Won't that be fun.

easier just to borrow a live trap from someone and trap the thing yourself....or simply find out how its getting in during the day and seal it off...

• Banned
I'm not getting anywhere near that fucker. Getting sprayed once was enough for me, thanks.

It nailed my door jamb and my entire enclosed porch. It's just fucking great.

Now my dog is outside barking at something. Ordinarily I'd assume it's a deer, but now I'm afraid to look.

• Banned
Unfortunately I put off letting the dog out too long due to skunk paranoia and she pissed on the floor, dammit.

o stop being such a wussy...first of all it leaves at night.....go down there at night and figure out how its getting in...wear old clothes...its just looking for a warm place to be in the winter

It is important to check your property regularly to ensure that all air vents and openings to crawl spaces and other potentially accessible areas are secured. Skunks are rodent predators who often follow mice and rats into these areas. Close openings around decks, stairs, sheds and hot tubs. Keep woodpiles elevated off the ground and pick up any debris that could potentially house a skunk den.

Place a radio near a known skunk den and keep it on loud during the day. Wait until the animal has begun their nightly foray and locate all entrances and exits. Block all except one and use repellents or frightening strategies to scare the skunks out. To be certain the animals have left, sprinkle flour at the exit and watch for footprints that lead away from the opening. When you are sure the animal is gone, securely close the opening.

WHS - Nuisance Wildlife Info

Unfortunately I put off letting the dog out too long due to skunk paranoia and she pissed on the floor, dammit.

i am laffing too hard to even mock you at this point...

now pay attention....if you just trap the shunk ...something else will move in...you need to secure the area that the shunk is in...follow the directions above...no skunk....

Place a radio near a known skunk den and keep it on loud during the day. Wait until the animal has begun their nightly foray and locate all entrances and exits. Block all except one and use repellents or frightening strategies to scare the skunks out. To be certain the animals have left, sprinkle flour at the exit and watch for footprints that lead away from the opening. When you are sure the animal is gone, securely close the opening.

WHS - Nuisance Wildlife Info

Ms. Strolling uses this strategy to keep her husband out of the house as well.

• Banned
No, it hangs out here at night. Hence my aversion to letting the dog out.

And noise doesn't bother it. Our house is incredibly loud at night. It wasn't even that worried by the dog on the porch.

And I am NOT looking for skunk dens.

If it's getting under the house, I know where it gets under. I'm not 100 percent convinced it is, though. I just walked around the house and didn't smell it out there, and they don't have to spray to be stinky. Also, the dog was out all day the last two days and didn't root it out, so I'd say it's probably not hanging here during the day.

I have a couple of skunks myself, one is a youngster...the other is big ass!

my husband went out to look for our missing cat who is white and black...no moon was out and like a dummy he did not bring the flash light, he sees her by the feeder, starts walking over to her to pick her up or shew her in to the house, and she disappreared on his walk down the drive to the grass area where the bird feeders are, so he goes back up the drive towards the front of the house to see if she ran to the front door.

halfway down the driveway on the side of the house, he thinks he sees her going under one of our cars...he begins his approach towards her and SWISH SOUND and liquid hitting the side of the house, by the window i am sitting at. i grab the flash light, run to the front door and there is this skunk, under the car and matt heading for the back door to come back in....

I run to the back door to intercede and STOP him from entering the house with clothes on...

IF he had gotten hit by the skunk, he was stripping naked out side...so help me God he was, and i didn't care that it was 48 degrees out!!!!!!!!

but it turns out the skunk just got the side of the house and not him...the next day i washed it down, seemed to get worse??? about a week later the smell went away!

Yeah, I'm dealing with that now. Most of the spray hit the inside of my porch, my door jamb and the wall next to it.

I used vinegar.

It smelled worse when I came home yesterday than it did the morning after. It seems to be a little better this morning, but it hasn't warmed up yet.

Just SHOOT the fucker and get it OVER WITH.... for crying out loud.

That's the way people in the country take care of animal pests.

Last edited:

:eek:

My neighbor down the way, offered to do just that...and I said no thank you! Of course, that was before the sucker sprayed my house with his lovely aroma.... :(

They are BEAUTIFUL creatures though...stunning faces! I had no idea how big they really were...I thought they were suppose to be the size of a bigger gray squirrel...but these things here are huge! Twice the size of a larger squirrel!

they only spray when frightened

and must have both back feet on the ground....

mater juice dont work either

Not true, our skunk was on it's back (dog had it) with it's ass and feet in the air, upside down, and I saw the spray.

And the tomato juice worked really well on the dog and on us...and we all had really shiny silky hair the next day, including my terrier, who usually has really stiff yucky feeling hair.

I think the smell in the bathroom is actually from the shower curtain. I'm going to have to toss it.

This morning I went to feed the horses, they're about a mile away, more or less..and guess what? HIDEOUS SKUNK SMELL. When I picked up the kids from the sitter, she showed me a text she'd received from one of the other kids' mom, who lives right next to our horse pasture...and a skunk sprayed in her house too!

It's the time of the year. They're fattening up, the babies are separating from their mommies and getting into trouble the little turds. The one on the porch was a youngster.

I'm suffering no end of jokes at work, too.

Due to having a 6 & 7 year old that I'm afraid of even when they're UNARMED, we have no weaponry in the house, other than what they construct themselves.

However, since it was on my porch and the dog was tangling with it, I wouldn't have shot it anyway.

Honestly, I don't mind skunks. I've been pretty close to them, and as long as you don't go racing at them (or run over them) they're a little potent,but won't nail you.

I'm still not trapping the shits, though. I can't imagine a trapped skunk would be particularly calm.

Forum List

Back