I think Jimmy C Is Mad At Britain's Reaction To the Bombings

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
He's trying to get the citizens all 'worked up' again:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164229,00.html

Carter: Iraq War is 'Unjust'

Saturday, July 30, 2005

BIRMINGHAM, England — Former President Jimmy Carter said Saturday the detention of terror suspects at the Guantanamo Bay Naval base was an embarrassment and had given extremists an excuse to attack the United States.

Carter also criticized the U.S.-led war in Iraq as "unnecessary and unjust."

"I think what's going on in Guantanamo Bay and other places is a disgrace to the U.S.A.," he told a news conference at the Baptist World Alliance's centenary conference in Birmingham, England. "I wouldn't say it's the cause of terrorism, but it has given impetus and excuses to potential terrorists to lash out at our country and justify their despicable acts."

Carter said, however, that terrorist acts could not be justified, and that while Guantanamo "may be an aggravating factor ... it's not the basis of terrorism."

Critics of President Bush's administration have long accused the U.S. government of unjustly detaining terror suspects at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base on the southeastern tip of Cuba. Hundreds of men have been held indefinitely at the prison, without charge or access to lawyers.

"What has happened at Guantanamo Bay ... does not represent the will of the American people," Carter said. "I'm embarrassed about it, I think its wrong. I think it does give terrorists an unwarranted excuse to use the despicable means to hurt innocent people."

Carter, who won the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize, has been an outspoken critic of the Iraq war.

"I thought then, and I think now, that the invasion of Iraq was unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on which it was launched were false," he said Saturday.

The Baptist World Alliance, comprising more than 200 Baptist unions around the world, was formed in London in 1905. The headquarters of the alliance, which meets in a different location every five years, moved to the United States in 1947.

An estimated 12,700 delegates gathered in the city of Birmingham in central England for the conference. Carter, a Sunday school teacher in his hometown of Plains, Ga., was due to lead a Bible study lesson during the conference.

He praised British police and intelligence services for the swift arrests in connection with the July 21 failed bombing attempts on London's transit system.

"I'm very proud to be in a nation that stands so stalwart against terrorism with us," he said. "The people of my country have united our hearts and sympathy for the tragedy that you have suffered from terrorism."

Jimmy Carter should keep his mouth shut. Let's see how he responded to terrorism in the late 70's when Iran became the worlds first Islamic state. He turned his back on an old friend the Shiah of Iran. He allowed over 50 Americans to be taken hostage and kept for over a year as radicals took over the American embassy. His response was to send two helicopters to rescue the hostages which crashed in the dessert. The state sponsored taking of hostages is an act of war. If we would have invaded Iran I doubt if we would be dealing with this world terrorism.

Kathianne said:
He's trying to get the citizens all 'worked up' again:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,164229,00.html

What can you say about a man who has ensured only one Dem president has held office since he disgraced the Presidency? Jimmy has got to be in the top 5 of the worst Presidents of all time, IMO.

Now that his buddy from the Hostage Crisis in 79 is President of Iran, I guess he felt compelled to run his suck.

GunnyL said:
What can you say about a man who has ensured only one Dem president has held office since he disgraced the Presidency? Jimmy has got to be in the top 5 of the worst Presidents of all time, IMO.

Now that his buddy from the Hostage Crisis in 79 is President of Iran, I guess he felt compelled to run his suck.

What I find most interesting, historically speaking, I think he is the only president that has first been perceived BETTER after his presidency than during it; only to turn around and wreck that subsequent improvement to his legacy.

I'd currently rate his as the 2nd or 3rd worse presidency, likely to fall further in the future.

Kathianne said:
What I find most interesting, historically speaking, I think he is the only president that has first been perceived BETTER after his presidency than during it; only to turn around and wreck that subsequent improvement to his legacy.

I'd currently rate his as the 2nd or 3rd worse presidency, likely to fall further in the future.

He was at least the second worst President of the 20th century. Perhaps Herbert Hoover was the worst. After his presidency Jimmy started Habitat for Humanity which I thought was a unique and noble thing for a former president to do. Now he is becoming Castros buddy and critizing our current president, in effect ruining all respect I had for him.

rcajun90 said:
He was at least the second worst President of the 20th century. Perhaps Herbert Hoover was the worst. After his presidency Jimmy started Habitat for Humanity which I thought was a unique and noble thing for a former president to do. Now he is becoming Castros buddy and critizing our current president, in effect ruining all respect I had for him.

Hoover wasn't as bad as Carter, IMO. Grant certainly came close, perhaps even surpassed in substance-hard to tell yet.

Kathianne said:

More than anything else, Carter destroyed the DNC by pulling the rug out from under the moderates and handing their votes to the Republican party.

Forum List

Back