I think I'm going to move to Breckenridge......

they also say it might help with skin infections like MRSA

?

I'd want to see some journal work on that. MJ hinders the bodies immune system.

MARIJUANA and IMMUNITY

Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Researchers in Italy and the U.K. tested five major marijuana chemicals called cannabinoids on different strains of MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). All five showed germ-killing activity against the MRSA strains in lab tests. Some synthetic cannabinoids also showed germ-killing capability. The scientists note the cannabinoids kill bacteria in a different way than traditional antibiotics, meaning they might be able to bypass bacterial resistance.

The only compelling argument against using MJ is that it's illegal. As far as recreational drugs go (to include alcohol and cigs) it's moderately tame. Yes, one joint has more junk in it than one cigarette. However, you don't chain smoke joints.

Compared to the items you can get at your 7-11, pot is relatively tame. Alcoholics can easily die from withdrawing from alcohol (not even heroin users die from withdrawal) and cigarettes cause lung cancer in a significant protion of people who use them and COPD in virtually all people that use them. As best as anyone can figure, pot was made illegal in the 30's simply to find a way to discriminate against blacks and Hispanics who used it in much larger quantities than whites. So it's an archaic law without much logic behind it.

I think it should be legalized and regulated (the biggest barrier to I see to this is the lack of a quick test for drivers who are impaired w/ pot).

BTW, if you are an anti-pot zealot who has a narcotics script (oxycotin, percocet, hydrocodone, ultram) that you've been filling for the past several years, you don't have much of a high horse on this issue.

they also say it might help with skin infections like MRSA

?

MARIJUANA and IMMUNITY

Researchers in Italy and the U.K. tested five major marijuana chemicals called cannabinoids on different strains of MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). All five showed germ-killing activity against the MRSA strains in lab tests. Some synthetic cannabinoids also showed germ-killing capability. The scientists note the cannabinoids kill bacteria in a different way than traditional antibiotics, meaning they might be able to bypass bacterial resistance.

Wow. That's interesting. VRSA beware!

?

MARIJUANA and IMMUNITY

Wow. That's interesting. VRSA beware!
Isn't it though?

For obvious reasons, I find this area of research fascinating (using this article because of the numerous sources listed):

Cannabinoids As Cancer Hope - NORML

References - NORML

The only compelling argument against using MJ is that it's illegal. As far as recreational drugs go (to include alcohol and cigs) it's moderately tame. Yes, one joint has more junk in it than one cigarette. However, you don't chain smoke joints.

Compared to the items you can get at your 7-11, pot is relatively tame. Alcoholics can easily die from withdrawing from alcohol (not even heroin users die from withdrawal) and cigarettes cause lung cancer in a significant protion of people who use them and COPD in virtually all people that use them. As best as anyone can figure, pot was made illegal in the 30's simply to find a way to discriminate against blacks and Hispanics who used it in much larger quantities than whites. So it's an archaic law without much logic behind it.

I think it should be legalized and regulated (the biggest barrier to I see to this is the lack of a quick test for drivers who are impaired w/ pot).

BTW, if you are an anti-pot zealot who has a narcotics script (oxycotin, percocet, hydrocodone, ultram) that you've been filling for the past several years, you don't have much of a high horse on this issue.

I don't drink, smoke ciggies or have a narcotics script. I'm just wondering how it is safer with all of the other side effects.

It should be legalized, I agree.

If Texas makes it legal, I'm gonna be a HAPPY boy!

That is what makes you "happy"? That is kind of sad, Sorry to hear that

I make a video, or create something, now that makes me happy, or put a smile on someones face that was feeling down. Now that makes me happy

The scientists note the cannabinoids kill bacteria in a different way than traditional antibiotics, meaning they might be able to bypass bacterial resistance.

I'd love to see the report. I wonder by what mechanism it kills bacteria?

I can't get into any journals from here. I'll try to access it from work if I can (and if we've subscribed). That was one of the biggest perks of working at NIH, total access to every journal out there (and the NIH library as well). I'm such a geek :lol:

Last edited:
BTW, as usual, Lenny Bruce nails this issue on "Zig-zag paper coverups".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSlaUHrZuf0&feature=related]YouTube - Lenny Bruce - WARNING [Part 7][/ame]

It starts at about 4:50

I don't drink, smoke ciggies or have a narcotics script. I'm just wondering how it is safer with all of the other side effects.

It should be legalized, I agree.

I am not sure if it's safer, but the point is that all recreation products come with a degree of damage and pot is not anymore or less worse.

The scientists note the cannabinoids kill bacteria in a different way than traditional antibiotics, meaning they might be able to bypass bacterial resistance.

I can't get into any journals from here. I'll try to access it from work if I can (and if we've subscribed). That was one of the biggest perks of working at NIH, total access to every journal out there (and the NIH library as well). I'm such a geek :lol:

Me too, and how it is taken.

Inhaled, orally, topically?

And here is the reason...........

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernalia

By Stephen C. Webster
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 -- 10:19 pm
Share on Facebook Stumble This!

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernaliaVoters in the ski resort town of Breckenridge, Colorado legalized marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia by a nearly three-to-one margin on Tuesday.

It is the first municipality in the United States to allow paraphernalia, such as pipes, bongs and bubblers.

"[The measure] passed 73 percent to 27 percent," ABC 7 News in Denver reported.

"'This votes demonstrates that Breckenridge citizens overwhelmingly believe that adults should not be punished for making the safer choice to use marijuana instead of alcohol,' said Sean McAllister, a Breckenridge attorney who proposed the ordinance," ABC continued.

"Possession remains illegal under state law, but Breckenridge Police Chief Rick Holman said his department will 'still have the ability to exercise discretion,'" Colorado's Summit Daily News added.
Story continues below...

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernalia | Raw Story

Who's with me?

Oh man! Good for Colorado! Now they will definitely see a spike in tourism :)

As a matter of fact ... I might visit the ol' CO this winter for some skiin' and ... other activities :) That is good news ... Amsterdam is so passé ... :D

And here is the reason...........

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernalia

By Stephen C. Webster
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 -- 10:19 pm
Share on Facebook Stumble This!

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernaliaVoters in the ski resort town of Breckenridge, Colorado legalized marijuana and marijuana paraphernalia by a nearly three-to-one margin on Tuesday.

It is the first municipality in the United States to allow paraphernalia, such as pipes, bongs and bubblers.

"[The measure] passed 73 percent to 27 percent," ABC 7 News in Denver reported.

"'This votes demonstrates that Breckenridge citizens overwhelmingly believe that adults should not be punished for making the safer choice to use marijuana instead of alcohol,' said Sean McAllister, a Breckenridge attorney who proposed the ordinance," ABC continued.

"Possession remains illegal under state law, but Breckenridge Police Chief Rick Holman said his department will 'still have the ability to exercise discretion,'" Colorado's Summit Daily News added.
Story continues below...

Breckenridge, Colorado voters legalize marijuana, paraphernalia | Raw Story

Who's with me?

As a matter of fact ... I might visit the ol' CO this winter for some skiin' and ... other activities :) That is good news ... Amsterdam is so passé ... :D

Don't hold your breath, as has been pointed out, the federal courts have a way of screwing things like this up.

I do see is as the beginning of a movement that will lead to a national debate on the subject (Denver has effectively decriminalized pot for three years now).

For the anti-pot people, don't have a heart attack. Even if it's legal, you don't have to use it.

Me too, and how it is taken.

Inhaled, orally, topically?

Topically, at least for this particular report. I don't see why research can't study other forms.

Given the availability of C. sativa strains producing high concentrations of nonpsychotropic cannabinoids, this plant represents an interesting source of antibacterial agents to address the problem of multidrug resistance in MRSA and other pathogenic bacteria. This issue has enormous clinical implications, since MRSA is spreading throughout the world and, in the United States, currently accounts for more deaths each year than AIDS.(24) Although the use of cannabinoids as systemic antibacterial agents awaits rigorous clinical trials and an assessment of the extent of their inactivation by serum,(25) their topical application to reduce skin colonization by MRSA seems promising, since MRSA resistant to mupirocin, the standard antibiotic for this indication, are being detected at a threatening rate.(26) Furthermore, since the cannabinoid anti-infective chemotype seems remarkably tolerant to modifications in the prenyl moiety, semipurified mixtures of cannabinoids could also be used as cheap and biodegradable antibacterial agents for cosmetics and toiletries, providing an alternative to the substantially much less potent synthetic preservatives, many of which are currently questioned for their suboptimal safety and environmental profile.(27)

Investigators at Italy's Universita del Piemonte Orientale and Britain's University of London, School of Pharmacy reported in the Journal of Natural Products that five cannabinoids - THC, CBD, CBG, CBC, and CBN - "showed potent antibacterial activity" and "exceptional" antibacterial activity against two epidemic MRSA occurring in UK hospitals. The authors concluded: "Although the use of cannabinoids as systemic antibacterial agents awaits rigorous clinical trials, … their topical application to reduce skin colonization by MRSA seems promising. … Cannabis sativa … represents an interesting source of antibacterial agents to address the problem of multidrug resistance in MRSA and other pathogenic bacteria."

Don't hold your breath, as has been pointed out, the federal courts have a way of screwing things like this up.

I do see is as the beginning of a movement that will lead to a national debate on the subject (Denver has effectively decriminalized pot for three years now).

For the anti-pot people, don't have a heart attack. Even if it's legal, you don't have to use it.

But there would be fuckin' maniacs running in the streets swinging axes, or something, if they ever did that! Didn't you watch Reefer Madness?!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM_vLk1I6G4]YouTube - Reefer Madness[/ame]

But there would be fuckin' maniacs running in the streets swinging axes, or something, if they ever did that! Didn't you watch Reefer Madness?!
lol

That ranks right up there with this one :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60]YouTube - Duck and Cover 1951 Civil Defense Film with Bert the Turtle[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53u7GlMRvNk]YouTube - Lewis Black on Nuclear Holocaust[/ame]

:rofl:

:rofl: I love your sense of humor ... couldn't rep you anymore ... have to wait a bit ...

New Topics

Forum List

Back