I think I will stop paying my mortgage

I must be reading a parody or viewing a caricature. A few years ago, in my hometown, the volunteer fire dept. was delivering food and fruit baskets to the poor. They stopped at a house that had two rooms, cots, no floor, no running water, and no wood stove. And the reason that I mention the stove, is that there was a fire pit in the middle of the "living room" floor. The would build a fire, on the ground (since the earth WAS the floor), and all the heat would escape because all they had for a front door was a bed sheet. Totally true story.

Apparently these people were hard workers, and both mom and dad had jobs. No entitlements (not that there is something wrong with asking for help). But when I hear people say that there aren't any poor people in the US, when compared with the rest of the world, I think back to this. Or the housecalls that I have run to the poor's residences. I've seen an elderly woman living in a truck bed camper. The small end was propped up with concrete blocks, as there was no truck.

Yes, there are poor people. The elderly couple in the housetrailer with thousands of cockroaches comes to mind.

I don't know if any of you work with the public. If you don't, get out of your comfort zone and travel down to one of your local skid rows. You will find some poor and despondent peoople.

Last edited:
Actually the "poor" in America have it great compared to the rest of the world:

What is Poverty in the United States: Air Conditioning, Cable TV and an Xbox

Perhaps you missed it, or perhaps you simply don't care enough about facts and knowledge to let them stand in the way of your prejudices, but poverty is relative to culture. There are "rich" people in primitive African tribes who couldn't afford the shoes I'm wearing. Money and wealth are not immediately translatable across cultural lines, because different cultures have different needs and availability of material possessions. For example, many poor people in rented rooms that often come with free cable or satellite, or they may live in large houses with several house mates which allows them to each contribute a very small amount of money to afford themselves cable for the house. Also, in some places, it's not possible to have ANY kind of television reception for even local channels without having a $5/month cable plan. In some states AC is considered a necessity for the sake of renting out a home. And used video game systems can be obtained very cheaply, or could be given as a gift from a wealthier friend or family member. Trying to use one culture's standard of poverty to define another culture's is me saying that I live a happier life than you do, because I go kayaking almost every weekend and you go far less frequently. Comparative happiness in our respective lives is not translatable in such terms.

As to why someone might complain, I don't know, maybe it has to do with the forcible redistribution of wealth?

Wealth is ALWAYS forcibly redistributed, every single day, under any economic model, since the beginning of history. This is a fact of human existence. You're complaint is that you prefer on method over the other, and you seem to have no concern for how it affects, builds, or degrades society.

You know, what we used to call theft.

No we didn't. Theft is when you take something that belongs to me without my permission, against social norms or rules. You seem to be complaining about taxation and expenditures, which are enacted in accordance WITH the rules (laws) of our society. I guess you don't understand the difference. Maybe you're a little schizotypal, I dunno.

"What we used to call theft"? No. It's what we used to call "the tax table before it got gouged by Bush."

I am tired of my tax dollars for people who do not want to help themselves!!!

But I'm sure you were happy as peaches to see your tax dollars go to bail out large corporations whose CEOs ran them into the ground by taking ridiculously large slices of the pie for themselves, weren't ya?

My husband and I would work 3 or 4 jobs not to take a handout..

Why don't you quit bitching and quit your jobs and collect all the great benefits you claim are available for "lazy" people? Seriously, if it's such a great way to go, then go for it already.

Because in this adminitration if you are a dead beat you get rewarded. More help for people who are behind or under water on their mortgage.

People like us who pay our mortgage on time and never been late gets no help of course.
How is allowing people to refinance their mortgages a bad thing, exactly?

It's not a bad thing... the problem is we have in some instances, people who simply cannot afford to own a home... in other instances perhaps they cannot afford a home dues to other circumstances.

I think when the Government gets involved in these issues, well, we see what happens when the government gets involved.... we end up with people who simply cannot afford to own a home, owning a home the simply cannot afford.
All this latest "help" for homeowners is simply:
U.S. regulators will let qualified homeowners refinance mortgages regardless of how much their houses have dropped in value, expanding a government effort to chip away at one of the economy's most unyielding problems.

U.S. Mortgage Plan Expanded to Aid Underwater Borrowers - BusinessWeek

See the word "qualify?" See the word "regulators?"

This is easing regulations for qualified homeowners.

Please don't tell me that conservatives think that is somehow a bad thing.

:confused:

How many more people are going to complain about how "good" the poor and broke people have it.

Actually the "poor" in America have it great compared to the rest of the world:

What is Poverty in the United States: Air Conditioning, Cable TV and an Xbox

As to why someone might complain, I don't know, maybe it has to do with the forcible redistribution of wealth? You know, what we used to call theft.

Somethng we can all be proud of and thankful for.

If it's such a great option then go for it. Until then, you're just looking for shit to complain about and talking a big game. Put up or shut up.

How many more people are going to complain about how "good" the poor and broke people have it. Pathetic.

Just tired of people who think everything is owed to them . .Why should they get rewarded for being dead beats.

Now everyone struggling to pay their mortgage is a deadbeat. Very deep analysis on your part. Well done.

So those that do right, sacrifice, or even struggle to do what has to be done... get to look on as others just receive handouts... only in libby land is that an OK thing

Because in this adminitration if you are a dead beat you get rewarded. More help for people who are behind or under water on their mortgage.

People like us who pay our mortgage on time and never been late gets no help of course.

If you're paying your mortgage on time and have never been late . . . . why would you need help?

For those who purchased more house than they could afford? Too bad for them, it was their choice let them sink or swim on their own. Stupid is as stupid does.

For those who got screwed by mortgage companies/banks? They are the ones who need the help. But if they were culpable in anyway . . say they lied about their income in order to get the mortgage? . . screw them let them sink or win on their own. Stupid is as stupid does.

For those who did it all by the book, bought within their means, paid on time, etc. but due to loss of job now need help? Help them.

Just tired of people who think everything is owed to them . .Why should they get rewarded for being dead beats.

Now everyone struggling to pay their mortgage is a deadbeat. Very deep analysis on your part. Well done.

So those that do right, sacrifice, or even struggle to do what has to be done... get to look on as others just receive handouts... only in libby land is that an OK thing

And only in con land are people who need assistance all deadbeats who don't want to work and are just looking for a handout.

If you're paying your mortgage on time and have never been late . . . . why would you need help?

For those who purchased more house than they could afford? Too bad for them, it was their choice let them sink or swim on their own. Stupid is as stupid does.

For those who got screwed by mortgage companies/banks? They are the ones who need the help. But if they were culpable in anyway . . say they lied about their income in order to get the mortgage? . . screw them let them sink or win on their own. Stupid is as stupid does.

For those who did it all by the book, bought within their means, paid on time, etc. but due to loss of job now need help? Help them.

It reminds me of a scripture quote:

Matthew 9:12-But when he heard it, he said, They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick.

(American Standard Version)

Surely many of you can relate to the teachings of Christ.

How is allowing people to refinance their mortgages a bad thing, exactly?

It's not a bad thing... the problem is we have in some instances, people who simply cannot afford to own a home... in other instances perhaps they cannot afford a home dues to other circumstances.

I think when the Government gets involved in these issues, well, we see what happens when the government gets involved.... we end up with people who simply cannot afford to own a home, owning a home the simply cannot afford.
All this latest "help" for homeowners is simply:
U.S. regulators will let qualified homeowners refinance mortgages regardless of how much their houses have dropped in value, expanding a government effort to chip away at one of the economy's most unyielding problems.

U.S. Mortgage Plan Expanded to Aid Underwater Borrowers - BusinessWeek

See the word "qualify?" See the word "regulators?"

This is easing regulations for qualified homeowners.

Please don't tell me that conservatives think that is somehow a bad thing.

:confused:

No need to get snippy..... I don't necessarily have a problem... however.... say I loan you $200,000 @ 6% and the underlying asset is worth $200,000. Now fast forward and you owe me $190,000 and the underlying asset is now worth $120,000.... I'm already exposed, why would I fruther the exposure by saying you owe me $190,000 @ 3%?

So far the entitlements that Obama has given people. The mortgage thing. Student loans ,Student Loan Relief. ( we pay for our kids college by cash no loan debt) Unemployment benefits are at 99 weeks and Obama wants to make it longer. Why would anyone look for a job when they can sit on their ass for a year and half plus some if Obama makes it longer Obama: Extend Payroll Credits And Unemployment Benefits - Yahoo! News
Now they get free cell phones if you on food stamps or other assistance.. Why doesnt the government pay for our cell phones. Free long distance is another entitlement.

I am tired of my tax dollars for people who do not want to help themselves!!! My husband and I would work 3 or 4 jobs not to take a handout..

Apparently you're the idiot for working 4 jobs since those on unemployment are living the high life with their big fat government checks. If you were smart you'd realize that unemployment checks are $2500 a week at least and if you work you actually make less than what people are taking home through unemployment.

In Colorado, depending on your previous income, you can max out at $500/week for 6 months.

It reminds me of a scripture quote:

Matthew 9:12-But when he heard it, he said, They that are whole have no need of a physician, but they that are sick.

(American Standard Version)

Surely many of you can relate to the teachings of Christ.

Shoosh!! Not now! Because if we were going to go there, they'd have to explain away this;

Matthew 25:31-46
New International Version (NIV)
The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

Actually, we've come to see these issues because the government wasn't involved enough. Deregulation is what landed us in the sub-prime mortgage mess. Right wingers love the free market and lassie faire capitalism, right? Well, there you have it. Bernie Madoff and and burst housing bubbles are what you get out of that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like government intrusion into too many things. I think it was out of line for the government to interfere with the market with the bailouts. Should have let them all fold. Yes, it would have sucked, unemployment would have gone through the roof for a time, but then again didn't we see it go through the roof anyway? Nonetheless, it's simply not within the facts to say that the government getting involved is always the cause of problems.

So far the entitlements that Obama has given people. The mortgage thing. Student loans ,Student Loan Relief. ( we pay for our kids college by cash no loan debt) Unemployment benefits are at 99 weeks and Obama wants to make it longer. Why would anyone look for a job when they can sit on their ass for a year and half plus some if Obama makes it longer Obama: Extend Payroll Credits And Unemployment Benefits - Yahoo! News
Now they get free cell phones if you on food stamps or other assistance.. Why doesnt the government pay for our cell phones. Free long distance is another entitlement.

I am tired of my tax dollars for people who do not want to help themselves!!! My husband and I would work 3 or 4 jobs not to take a handout..

Apparently you're the idiot for working 4 jobs since those on unemployment are living the high life with their big fat government checks. If you were smart you'd realize that unemployment checks are $2500 a week at least and if you work you actually make less than what people are taking home through unemployment.

In Colorado, depending on your previous income, you can max out at $500/week for 6 months.

Thanks. I was being sarcastic by showing that you can't really "do well" from the amount you get from unemployment.

And where is your "bitch" about the rich bankers whose asses were saved by a bailout.
What a pathetic post you have posted.
What about all those corporations, including oil and corporate farmers, that recieve subsidy from the government?
You have a very narrow-minded perspective, but then again you are a right-winger.
:clap2:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

I've stopped paying home insurance.

Fuck, it the place gets blown away in a tornado, then let the bank find it.

You're a bad boy, but it's still funny. :lol:

What kind of help do you want?

The new help isn't for people who aren't paying their mortgage.

There you go again: messing up a rightwing rant with facts. Not fair.

What would you rather your tax dollars be spent on? More illegal invasions of sovereign nations?

I’ve been listing to this ignorant rightwing whining for decades, it’s sickening.

Spending on education is an investment in the future, unless the right wants future generations of Americans to be ignorant and unemployed.

Unemployment comp is not an ‘entitlement,’ it’s insurance paid for by employee and employer. An extension is needed because there are no more jobs in the employment markets adversely effected, these are displaced workers, their jobs are gone, never to come back. They are in need of education and training programs.

The right’s blind adherence to the dogma of Social Darwinism is what got us into this mess in the first place, and conservatives have the nerve to complaint about the relief provided victims of their failed fiscal policies.

Unbelievable.

What about the people who played by the book, bought within or below their means, were not screwed by a bank, but their house has lost 25-30% of value merely because of the many other houses that people have walked away from and or/were foreclosed on?
Maybe they haven't lost a job, but perhaps their income has been reduced by 20%, in order to keep a job?
Attach to that the higher costs of the basic necessities, food, utilities, etc.
What about those people?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back