I think I might be done with the Catholic Church...

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Blackrook, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,458
    The bishops allowed 1000 children to be molested by priests, a grand jury has found.

I might be done with carrying the water of a Church that has failed on such an epic level to live up to their own moral rules.

As long as my father is alive, I will continue to go to Mass with him, because I don't want to break his heart.

But after that, I think I'm done.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    You may want to keep in mind that Judas decided he was done, as well. The other eleven decided they had something worth carrying forward. Judas represents eight percent of the Apostles. The number of priests who broke their own vows is far less than that. Leaving the Church because of this would also be a slap in the face to the ninety-seven percent who did not break their vows.

Here is the real deal. I have found in my life there is never one reason for someone to reach a major decision. There are always at least three reasons that push a person into making such a change. Have you pondered what those other two reasons might be that may also be pushing you towards this choice?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,493
    It's always funny how people can come up with arguments for why people should support the unsupportable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Blackrook

Blackrook Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,458
    The Catholic Church is failing in many respects, many priests are unfaithful to Catholic teachings, for example. You find them out in confession, when they tell you masturbation is not really a sin, or that you should take Communion even if you are in a state of sin.

5. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,076
    When a church fails children (whether RC or LDS), you know that church is on trembly ground.

6. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,456
    I was taught by Catholic teachers. Best education on the planet. Never went to any camps or retreats though. I really didn't get involved beyond class time in the elementary grades, which were all run by the nuns.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +51,076
    I was not Catholic but ran with the RC boys who were my comrades.

Father Benedict at St. Patricks would smack my head as readily as the others if he heard my potty mouth.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
  8. Harry Dresden

Harry Dresden Adamantium Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,658
    i was through with them when i was about 16.....to much bullshit...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  9. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37,456
    Was funny. In the early 70s the Jesuits from Georgetown U. would congregate at a bar called The Tombs. We'd roll in and get into deep philosophical discussions with them as we methodically outdrank them into comas. They didn't get around much.

10. Meriweather

Meriweather Not all who wander are lost

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    The Mass begins with the (general) confession of sins, where we ask forgiveness from both God and the community. This forgiveness covers all venial sins. Naturally, anyone in the state of mortal sin needs to seek forgiveness through the Sacrament of Reconciliation before joining in Communion. Masturbation would be covered as a venial sin, not a mortal one. The reason masturbation is considered a sin at all is that it misses the mark, the ideal for sexuality.

In one respect, we are always in the state of sin, while at the same time working to overcome the sins in our lives. Who better to help us overcome these weaknesses than Our Lord, himself? He is our greatest inspiration.

Do keep in mind the Pennsylvania report covers seventy years, dating back to 1947. Mentioned in the report is that in the last twenty years the Church has new procedures in place to prevent today what took place between 1947 through the mid 1980s. Catholics themselves have been involved with these changes.

Again, when a small percentage fails, this is no reason for the rest to fail in the faith as well. It is a time for us to strengthen and rebuild. Christ brought and left us a legacy. Are we going to fail him because of an even smaller percentage that failed him?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1