I Think I Face the End of My Career

It is sad to think I might not be able to work soon. I love my job, and the people I work with. The pay is great, more than I deserve, but it is the feeling of being useful and productive I enjoy the most.

That might be coming to an end now.

The problem is my memory. I keep forgetting the simplest stuff, even my kids names.

I was in the company cafeteria a few months ago and forgot where I was. For a few seconds I thought I was in my old high school cafeteria, but I knew that was impossible. Then I put it together where I was and my memories came back about why I was there and where etc.

And it is getting worse.

I am afraid to go anywhere and have worse episodes. What if I totally forget and have a case of amnesia or something?

Anyway, I am starting to think it may be time to mosey on into that pasture where the green grass grows.

And I dont feel happy about it at all.
Really sorry to hear that Jim. As scary as it is, you need to get diagnosed ASAP.

jim dear-----IGNORE THE CHIT-CHAT and see a
competent NEUROLOGIST. ------believe me----uhm----lots of docs are have no idea how to make this diagnosis ----ps----now guess my field
Competent is a tricky word.

Alzheimer's meds, for example, aren't as effective as certain dietary interventions - and there's way too many Doctors, of all stripes, these days that are ignorant of new nutritional data. It's a huge blind-spot of our entire Health-care system.

competent NEUROLOGIST. ------believe me----uhm----lots of docs are have no idea how to make this diagnosis ----ps----now guess my field

Alzheimer's meds, for example, aren't as effective as certain dietary interventions - and there's way too many Doctors, of all stripes, these days that are ignorant of new nutritional data. It's a huge blind-spot of our entire Health-care system.

yeah ok-----nice that you read the latest propaganda-----I do agree that the ALZ
meds are not all that effective-----BUT---sorry,
neither are the dietary manipulations.
THE ISSUE NOW for our Jim is a CORRECCT DIAGNOSIS. I cannot tell you how many times -------the generalist just did not know-----
even the psychiatrists (who are a lot better at it than are the generalists) sometimes get it screwed up------A NEUROLOGIST

Last edited:
It is sad to think I might not be able to work soon. I love my job, and the people I work with. The pay is great, more than I deserve, but it is the feeling of being useful and productive I enjoy the most.

That might be coming to an end now.

The problem is my memory. I keep forgetting the simplest stuff, even my kids names.

I was in the company cafeteria a few months ago and forgot where I was. For a few seconds I thought I was in my old high school cafeteria, but I knew that was impossible. Then I put it together where I was and my memories came back about why I was there and where etc.

And it is getting worse.

I am afraid to go anywhere and have worse episodes. What if I totally forget and have a case of amnesia or something?

Anyway, I am starting to think it may be time to mosey on into that pasture where the green grass grows.

Not good...get checked out ASAP...both my parents went from Alzheimers and my siblings and I are worried we may go down the same road.

yeah ok-----nice that you read the latest propaganda-----I do agree that the ALZ
THE ISSUE NOW for out Jim is a CORRECCT DIAGNOSIS. I cannot tell you how many times -------the generalist just did not know-----
even the psychiatrists (who are a lot better at it than are the generalists) sometimes get it screwed up------A NEUROLOGIST
"The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today," he says. Carbohydrates typically thought of as healthy, even brown rice, 100% whole grain bread, or quinoa—mainstays of many of the most health-conscious kitchens—cause disorders like dementia, ADHD, chronic headaches, and Alzheimer’s, over a lifetime of consumption. By removing these carbohydrates from the diet—harbingers of inflammation, the true source of problems that plague our brains and hearts—and increasing the amount of fat and cholesterol we consume, we can not only protect our most valuable organ, but also potentially, undo years of damage. Cholesterol, for example, long vilified by the media and medical community, actually promotes neurogenesis (the birth of new brain cells) and communication between neurons, to the degree that studies have shown that higher levels of serum cholesterol correlates to more robust cognitive prowess."

Grain Brain

Also, you don't need propaganda, there are double blind studies on the nih website that back the research.

If you didn't know about the studies, their controls, their findings, their methodology, their flaws, and what they found - and are a neurologist, then I consider that negligence. I consider the lack of any idea regarding modern dietary STUDIES to be gross negligence of ANY doctor.

Sorry, Jim.

I'm glad to see you're getting to the doctor. Science is making little strides all the time, and they're finding ways to slow and/or mitigate progression.

Be selfish. Ask questions. Find what works to any degree, who knows what new stuff is on the way.

Best wishes, please keep us updated.

THE ISSUE NOW for out Jim is a CORRECCT DIAGNOSIS. I cannot tell you how many times -------the generalist just did not know-----
"The brain thrives on a fat-rich, low-carbohydrate diet, which unfortunately is relatively uncommon in human populations today," he says. Carbohydrates typically thought of as healthy, even brown rice, 100% whole grain bread, or quinoa—mainstays of many of the most health-conscious kitchens—cause disorders like dementia, ADHD, chronic headaches, and Alzheimer’s, over a lifetime of consumption. By removing these carbohydrates from the diet—harbingers of inflammation, the true source of problems that plague our brains and hearts—and increasing the amount of fat and cholesterol we consume, we can not only protect our most valuable organ, but also potentially, undo years of damage. Cholesterol, for example, long vilified by the media and medical community, actually promotes neurogenesis (the birth of new brain cells) and communication between neurons, to the degree that studies have shown that higher levels of serum cholesterol correlates to more robust cognitive prowess."

Grain Brain

Also, you don't need propaganda, there are double blind studies on the nih website that back the research.

If you didn't know about the studies, their controls, their findings, their methodology, their flaws, and what they found - and are a neurologist, then I consider that negligence. I consider the lack of any idea regarding modern dietary STUDIES to be gross negligence of ANY doctor.

the studies are inconclusive. ----all of them ---INCLUDING COCONUT OIL

PS---however---my fridge is NOW choc full of eggs despite the fact that hubby has high cholesterol-----and YES he is off that damned statin (may it end up in hell----along with
uhm an old anti inflammatory that they tell me is
now a "banned word"???????????

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

A wide variety of evidence suggests that the ketogenic diet could have beneficial disease-modifying effects in epilepsy and also in a broad range of neurological disorders characterized by death of neurons. Although the mechanism by which the diet confers neuroprotection is not fully understood, effects on cellular energetics are likely to play a key role. It has long been recognized that the ketogenic diet is associated with increased circulating levels of ketone bodies, which represent a more efficient fuel in the brain, and there may also be increased numbers of brain mitochondria. It is plausible that the enhanced energy production capacity resulting from these effects would confer neurons with greater ability to resist metabolic challenges. Additionally, biochemical changes induced by the diet – including the ketosis, high serum fat levels, and low serum glucose levels – could contribute to protection against neuronal death by apoptosis and necrosis through a multitude of additional mechanisms, including antioxidant and antiinflammatory actions. Theoretically, the ketogenic diet might have greater efficacy in children than in adults, inasmuch as younger brains have greater capacity to transport and utilize ketone bodies as an energy source (Rafiki et al., 2003; Vannucci and Simpson, 2003; Pierre and Pellerin, 2005).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6286979/

Conclusion
Recent work has demonstrated the potential of KDs initiated in young adulthood, even when implemented cyclically, to extend midlife longevity in mice and improve cognition (Newman et al., 2017; Roberts et al., 2017). Importantly the data presented here show for the first time that a late-life KD intervention may also be beneficial for improving cognitive outcomes. In fact, the differences in protein expression across the PFC and HPC have considerable implications for the development of therapeutic strategies for age-related cognitive decline and the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Designing systemic pharmacological treatments for specific mechanisms of age-related dysfunction within a single brain region, will undoubtedly have off target effects that will obscure the ability to improve overall behavioral output. Treatment strategies should therefore be designed that can elicit region-specific restoration of neurobiological function. The KD used in the current study appears to satisfy this criterion, at least for the PFC and HPC. However, additional data that examine the interaction between KDs and more global measures of network function, such as resting state network architecture and white matter integrity, will be necessary to elucidate the interactions between neuronal metabolism and overall brain health.

Grain Brain

the studies are inconclusive. ----all of them ---INCLUDING COCONUT OIL
I'm gunna be blunt about it - I see dietary intervention working for 100% of people I recommend it to, not 97, not 54%...but 100% and that's across a WIDE VARIETY of ailments.

Low inflammation is God - God doesn't like insulin fluttering all over the place...this is being born out in study after study after study after study

I think Switzerland will be the 1st Gov't to recommend the anti-inflammatory diet vs. the fiber rich.

After a serious health problem, I was on b12 shots for awhile. I asked the doc why I couldn't just take them in pill form, so I wouldn't have to keep coming in. He said b12 is destroyed in the stomach and the pills are useless. If I am remembering correctly. Maybe it had another b in it as well. Could have been the other one he meant. I have such a hard time keeping specific numbers in my brain.

It has made me kind of dubious about a lot of the nutritional supplement stuff that gets sold at the store.

a-sign-for-dr-bobs-snake-oil-cure-all-in-masonville-co-E71NPH.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
After a serious health problem, I was on b12 shots for awhile. I asked the doc why I couldn't just take them in pill form, so I wouldn't have to keep coming in. He said b12 is destroyed in the stomach and the pills are useless. If I am remembering correctly. Maybe it had another b in it as well. Could have been the other one he meant. I have such a hard time keeping specific numbers in my brain.

It has made me kind of dubious about a lot of the nutritional supplement stuff that gets sold at the store.

a-sign-for-dr-bobs-snake-oil-cure-all-in-masonville-co-E71NPH.jpg
yeah, supplements have their place but most of the time for stuff like b-vitamins and vitamin D - it's that you're body isn't utilizing the vitamin properly and the problem isnt that you're not taking enough of it

It is true that some people will believe anything a doctor tells them

Vitamin B12 Deficiency: Recognition and Management. - NCBI

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28925645

by RC Langan - ‎2017 - ‎Cited by 25 - ‎Related articles
Sep 15, 2017 - Vitamin B12 deficiency is a common cause of megaloblastic anemia, various neuropsychiatric symptoms, and other clinical manifestations. ... Oral administration of high-dose vitamin B12 (1 to 2 mg daily) is as effective as intramuscular administration for correcting anemia and neurologic symptoms.

(this is all just for jim's food for thought..the links im firing off)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112040/

Neuroprotective capacity of the ketogenic diet
Data are available that suggest that the KD has neuroprotective effects that could be applied beyond its treatment for epileptic conditions. Several studies have demonstrated that KDs can enhance cognitive function in both pathophysiological and normal healthy experimental animal systems (Appelberg et al., 2009; Xu et al., 2010). For example, KDs were able to improve the motor coordination and cognition recovery in young rats suffering from traumatic brain injury (Appelberg et al., 2009). Pro-cognitive and memory enhancement effects of KDs have been demonstrated in normal, healthy, aged rats and to a lesser extent in young rats, suggesting that age may not be a confound for KD use (Xu et al., 2010). In a murine model of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) in which mice express a mutated human amyloid precursor protein (APP) transgene, KDs have been shown to attenuate the production and accumulation of the cytotoxic proteolytic products of APP, i.e. amyloid-β 40/42, that are thought to underlie the etiology of AD (Van dA et al., 2005). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; Lou Gehrig’s disease), like AD, is a neurodegenerative disorder often linked to oxidative stress of neurons. Murine models of ALS, in which transgenic mice possess a human mutation of an enzyme that protects from oxidative damage (superoxide dismutase 1), KDs can delay the onset of motor coordination loss and reduce motor neuron loss in the spinal cord (Zhao et al., 2006). KDs have also been demonstrated to reduce neuronal cell death and the generation of seizure activity in experimental models of stroke and cerebral ischemia (Tai and Truong, 2007; Tai et al., 2008). While animal studies have demonstrated many beneficial effects of KDs, due to variation in animal husbandry and experimental design, conflicting data can be obtained. For example, KD has been implicated in deficiencies in spatial learning and memory, as well as impaired brain growth (Zhao et al., 2004), although it is possible that these negative effects may be due to uncontrolled malnutrition in the KD regimen (Cunnane and Likhodii, 2004). Even with this caveat however, overall, the findings presented by various research groups certainly encourages the therapeutic use of the KD beyond epilepsy, as it offers neuroprotective effects in normal animals, and has beneficial effects in multiple murine models of neurological disorders.

I saw Joe Namath on Howard Stern the other day talking about how a hyperbaric oxygen chamber reversed his brain injuries. That's an anecdotal grain of salt sort of thing - but might be worth a listen Jim.

(this is all just for jim's food for thought..the links im firing off)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4112040/

Neuroprotective capacity of the ketogenic diet
Data are available that suggest that the KD has neuroprotective effects that could be applied beyond its treatment for epileptic conditions. Several studies have demonstrated that KDs can enhance cognitive function in both pathophysiological and normal healthy experimental animal systems (Appelberg et al., 2009; Xu et al., 2010). For example, KDs were able to improve the motor coordination and cognition recovery in young rats suffering from traumatic brain injury (Appelberg et al., 2009). Pro-cognitive and memory enhancement effects of KDs have been demonstrated in normal, healthy, aged rats and to a lesser extent in young rats, suggesting that age may not be a confound for KD use (Xu et al., 2010). In a murine model of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) in which mice express a mutated human amyloid precursor protein (APP) transgene, KDs have been shown to attenuate the production and accumulation of the cytotoxic proteolytic products of APP, i.e. amyloid-β 40/42, that are thought to underlie the etiology of AD (Van dA et al., 2005). Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; Lou Gehrig’s disease), like AD, is a neurodegenerative disorder often linked to oxidative stress of neurons. Murine models of ALS, in which transgenic mice possess a human mutation of an enzyme that protects from oxidative damage (superoxide dismutase 1), KDs can delay the onset of motor coordination loss and reduce motor neuron loss in the spinal cord (Zhao et al., 2006). KDs have also been demonstrated to reduce neuronal cell death and the generation of seizure activity in experimental models of stroke and cerebral ischemia (Tai and Truong, 2007; Tai et al., 2008). While animal studies have demonstrated many beneficial effects of KDs, due to variation in animal husbandry and experimental design, conflicting data can be obtained. For example, KD has been implicated in deficiencies in spatial learning and memory, as well as impaired brain growth (Zhao et al., 2004), although it is possible that these negative effects may be due to uncontrolled malnutrition in the KD regimen (Cunnane and Likhodii, 2004). Even with this caveat however, overall, the findings presented by various research groups certainly encourages the therapeutic use of the KD beyond epilepsy, as it offers neuroprotective effects in normal animals, and has beneficial effects in multiple murine models of neurological disorders.
When my son was around 2, he was a very fussy eater and skinny as an urchin. Twice when he caught a stomach bug, he almost immediately went into ketosis and the doctor was very concerned about it. His breath smelled so strong of ketones I thought he had swallowed nail polish remover. That's exactly what it smelled like. The doctor said at least an ounce of fluids had to stay down every hour or kiddo was going in the hospital.
So ketosis has always scared me to death. Apparently there are degrees of it.

I saw Joe Namath on Howard Stern the other day talking about how a hyperbaric oxygen chamber reversed his brain injuries. That's an anecdotal grain of salt sort of thing - but might be worth a listen Jim.
Increasing the oxygen supply to the brain is pivotal in healing it or any other injury. Researchers found rosemary essential oil improved cognition in ALZ patients. A lung specialist that visited me in the hospital told me that I would be stuck with the injuries to my lungs permanently as there is no way they would ever come back. He went as far as to bet me on it. (I should have asked what was he betting for exactly) Anyhow they checked my blood oxygen levels continually because it was so low in the hospital. After getting home I used a cold vaporizer with rosemary essential oil in the water for several months as I knew it along with ginger and chlorophyll helped me. The lung doc made an appointment for me to see him. He was in a bit of a shock when my blood oxygen level came back normal. I can understand why a hyperbaric oxygen chamber would help. A doctor friend has been wanting me to come down to Texas for she can try hers out on me and see if she can get some of the lung capacity lost due to the chemical spill back for me.

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
Hell,I'm 54 and find myself forgetting shit constantly these days.
Like having to stop and think to remember my email address,the Wifes Bday. Forgetting what road I'm on. And forget about memorizing directions anymore even if it's just three or four turns.
Going to the grocery store? If it's more than five or six items I better write em down or I'll be making a return trip.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back