I Think Dad Is Dumb

Brings to mind the first line of Anna Karenina. "Happy Families are all alike. Unhappy families are each unhappy in their own way."

This is not so badly messed up as the Oblonsky house hold, or the Ewings from late nite TV in the 80s. The kid needs to grow up, but so does her dad.

I liked it. Creative parenting.

Me too, other than the shooting. Even that though, I read an 'after interview' with the dad, he'd already spoken with the daughter and she was none to happy. However, one of the things that she 'wants' was a rifle like his. He'd told her to earn it. My guess is, he acted right for HIS daughter. If I did the same, my kids would have been terrified and the county would likely have committed me.

I live in IL though, not the West or South.

Perhaps much of this could have been avoided if the daughter had been taught some plain truths earlier, but it seems the road hasn't been straight. Divorce, step mom, younger sibling, (half?). Yet she lives with dad, not mom. So, there are issues. He's got her attention, now.

Well, yeah. I do believe parents need to stand up to their kids. But take away some things while making as little noise as possible. Not humiliate your kid, shoot their laptop, and then make them pay for it because the dumbass destroyed it himself.

And she shouldn't be in trouble for ranting. For the pottymouth language? Yes, some punishment should be done. But it's not something severely punishable. Take the comp away for 1 day per naughty word. Problem solved. (and occasionally let something fly with warning)
You've never dealt with out of control bratty assed teens before, have you? She's done this before, and he's TRIED that simple route. She 'forgot' about it or just toughed it out.

And for those of you thinking that he's a bad parent, out of control and all that shit, actually read the follow up from the incident as the family dealt with the media. This dad's got his shit squared away and it's plain to see, ultimately, because of this, she will too.

UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now
Q: How did your daughter respond to the video and to what happened to her laptop?

A: She responded to the video with “I can’t believe you shot my computer!” That was the first thing she said when she found out about it. Then we sat and we talked for quite a long while on the back patio about the things she did, the things I did in response, etc.

Later after she’d had time to process it and I’d had time to process her thoughts on the matters we discussed, we were back to a semi-truce… you know that uncomfortable moment when you’re in the kitchen with your child after an argument and you’re both waiting to see which one’s going to cave in and resume normal conversation first? Yeah, that moment. I told her about the video response and about it going viral and about the consequences it could have on our family for the next couple of days and asked if she wanted to see some of the comments people had made. After the first few hundred comments, she was astounded with the responses.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing.

Read more: UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now
So, it looks like nitroz and geaux are full of crap. Gasp. :cool:

Because I said the father looks, acts, and sounds like a dumb fucking redneck or that he looks like an immature child with his reaction?

Sorry buddy. Dad's blog isn't going to change that.

putting a kid in lock down? that is not parenting that is passing the ball off to someone else

It is using the tools necessary to catch a youngster's attention that she is not the one who makes the rules of the road in her parents' house. Period.

i think only a whack job thinks shooting a computer is an appropriate response to an adolescent tantrum, and only a naive whack job would believe anything the first whack job said.

hi dave
Hey, del.

I guess you missed the part where the girl said "Hey, it's just a computer!" and that she learned a valuable lesson that she hadn't learned with more traditional methods of discipline.

You've never dealt with out of control bratty assed teens before, have you? She's done this before, and he's TRIED that simple route. She 'forgot' about it or just toughed it out.

And for those of you thinking that he's a bad parent, out of control and all that shit, actually read the follow up from the incident as the family dealt with the media. This dad's got his shit squared away and it's plain to see, ultimately, because of this, she will too.

UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now
Q: How did your daughter respond to the video and to what happened to her laptop?

A: She responded to the video with “I can’t believe you shot my computer!” That was the first thing she said when she found out about it. Then we sat and we talked for quite a long while on the back patio about the things she did, the things I did in response, etc.

Later after she’d had time to process it and I’d had time to process her thoughts on the matters we discussed, we were back to a semi-truce… you know that uncomfortable moment when you’re in the kitchen with your child after an argument and you’re both waiting to see which one’s going to cave in and resume normal conversation first? Yeah, that moment. I told her about the video response and about it going viral and about the consequences it could have on our family for the next couple of days and asked if she wanted to see some of the comments people had made. After the first few hundred comments, she was astounded with the responses.

People were telling her she was going to commit suicide, commit a gun-related crime, become a drug addict, drop out of school, get pregnant on purpose, and become a stripper because she’s too emotionally damaged now to be a productive member of society. Apparently stripper was the job-choice of most of the commenters. Her response was “Dude… it’s only a computer. I mean, yeah I’m mad but pfft.” She actually asked me to post a comment on one of the threads (and I did) asking what other job fields the victims of laptop-homicide were eligible for because she wasn’t too keen on the stripping thing.

Read more: UPDATE: Dad uses Facebook to teach daughter a lesson - Chicago's Best Variety of the 80s, 90s and Now

Because I said the father looks, acts, and sounds like a dumb fucking redneck or that he looks like an immature child with his reaction?

And of course, anonymous people on the internet who have never lived with the girl in question know more about the situation than her dad does.

Shock value, it seemed to work here, not sure it would work at my house, but he seems to know his daughter and if they are communicating then and if it works, it works. Looks like it's win win. Kids will be kids but they need to be reached. He seems to have gotten results.

Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. - YouTube

Yeah, punishing your kid because they need to vent their anger is bad parenting. For her, she's going through the stresses of growing up, puberty, taking on bigger and more responsibilities, while managing her current ring of responsibilities. People need to vent. It's life.
Even the highest trained doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other medical personnel will tell you that.

It's true that you shouldn't coddle your kids, but you shouldn't make them "earn their keep" and treat them as a burden to YOUR life. When you had kids, you accepted the responsibility of parenting until the child legally turns 18, so ACT like a responsible parent!
If she is making good grades and not getting into trouble with drugs, sex, and violence. Then he should leave her be. Some household chores would be nice, but you will need to add incentives along with that.

There is also the discussion of intimidating your kids with WEAPONS! What kind of messed up fuck job does that!??? You are just teaching her that intimidation, violence, and bullying others is okay.

If you are going to treat her like an "adult", then you need to give her the legal entitlements that an adult will get. (Kids don't have property rights because they would legally be able to sue their parents up the ass so hard that they will be wheelchair bound for the rest of their life and thrown in the slammer with the possibility of being convicted with a felony. parents need the right to do their job)

I hope she puts his ass in a retirement home that will abuse him while shooting all of his possessions and then making him pay for the stuff that SHE DESTROYED!
I would have done the same

The dad was just venting over his frustration that his smart-assed 15 year old was basically giving dad a big old 'fuck you' by what she did --- she'd ignored previous warnings/consequences. And she did it on the laptop that he bought for her. Fuck that shit. Dad was spot on shooting the damn thing and making it public . . .gave her a taste of her own medicine and it's waah, waah, that's not fair!'? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

The dad says he's going to make her pay for the laptop damage. Pfffft, I wouldn't let the kid get another laptop till she was 18. But if she does? He'd be wise to block F/B from it . . . I did w/my 15 yr. old. Excellent decision.

Your last comment? My, my aren't we the epitome of maturity. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Facebook Parenting: For the troubled teen. - YouTube

Yeah, punishing your kid because they need to vent their anger is bad parenting. For her, she's going through the stresses of growing up, puberty, taking on bigger and more responsibilities, while managing her current ring of responsibilities. People need to vent. It's life.
Even the highest trained doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other medical personnel will tell you that.

It's true that you shouldn't coddle your kids, but you shouldn't make them "earn their keep" and treat them as a burden to YOUR life. When you had kids, you accepted the responsibility of parenting until the child legally turns 18, so ACT like a responsible parent!
If she is making good grades and not getting into trouble with drugs, sex, and violence. Then he should leave her be. Some household chores would be nice, but you will need to add incentives along with that.

There is also the discussion of intimidating your kids with WEAPONS! What kind of messed up fuck job does that!??? You are just teaching her that intimidation, violence, and bullying others is okay.

If you are going to treat her like an "adult", then you need to give her the legal entitlements that an adult will get. (Kids don't have property rights because they would legally be able to sue their parents up the ass so hard that they will be wheelchair bound for the rest of their life and thrown in the slammer with the possibility of being convicted with a felony. parents need the right to do their job)

I hope she puts his ass in a retirement home that will abuse him while shooting all of his possessions and then making him pay for the stuff that SHE DESTROYED!
I would have done the same

The dad was just venting over his frustration that his smart-assed 15 year old was basically giving dad a big old 'fuck you' by what she did. And she did it on the laptop that he bought for her. Fuck that shit. Dad was spot on shooting the damn thing and making it public . . .gave her a taste of her own medicine and it's waah, waah, that's not fair!'? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

The dad says he's going to make her pay for the laptop damage. Pfffft, I wouldn't let the kid get another laptop till she was 18. But if she does? He'd be wise to block F/B from it . . . I did w/my 15 yr. old. Excellent decision.

Een ze old country, Vee call zis 'ingratitude'.

I knew a parent once who had an ungrateful 13 year old. So they took action by removing from their possession and putting into storage, everything they owned save for 1 week of clothes, their bed and any required school items. The kid had to then EARN back everything. Even presents were put in storage.

Kid learned quick that life sucks and he should be grateful for all the gifts they got.

The dad was just venting over his frustration that his smart-assed 15 year old was basically giving dad a big old 'fuck you' by what she did. And she did it on the laptop that he bought for her. Fuck that shit. Dad was spot on shooting the damn thing and making it public . . .gave her a taste of her own medicine and it's waah, waah, that's not fair!'? Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Een ze old country, Vee call zis 'ingratitude'.

I knew a parent once who had an ungrateful 13 year old. So they took action by removing from their possession and putting into storage, everything they owned save for 1 week of clothes, their bed and any required school items. The kid had to then EARN back everything. Even presents were put in storage.

Kid learned quick that life sucks and he should be grateful for all the gifts they got.

That's known as a 'Fully Reily', from the book 'The Defiant Child' by Dr. Douglas Reily.

She bitched on the Net, he answered on the Net.

Funny how kids today think they have rights. Until they move their asses out of our houses, they don't.

Remember.

Your kids get to choose if you go to a retirement home when you are older. (And they might choose a bad one intentionally) ;)
Then the parents didn't raise them right anyway. Just hope you don't raise spoiled brats that'd rather spend their money on something else and put you in a cut rate home.

Sounds like I'd be more worried about an ingrate kid doing that than one who was brought up to fear, respect, love and value their parents.

She bitched on the Net, he answered on the Net. Funny how kids today think they have rights. Until they move their asses out of our houses, they don't.
Remember. Your kids get to choose if you go to a retirement home when you are older. (And they might choose a bad one intentionally) ;)

Dads and Moms have legal alternatives to avoid payback later on by the kids.

And of course, anonymous people on the internet who have never lived with the girl in question know more about the situation than her dad does.

That argument cuts both ways. As it stands, the dad decideded to put it on the Internet. Thus inviting critique of his idiotic tantrum.

That argument cuts both ways. As it stands, the dad decideded to put it on the Internet. Thus inviting critique of his idiotic tantrum.
9.5.... 9.4.... 9.7.... 9.1.... 9.9..... 3.4...????

well the Soviet judge has spoken.

She bitched on the Net, he answered on the Net. Funny how kids today think they have rights. Until they move their asses out of our houses, they don't.
Remember. Your kids get to choose if you go to a retirement home when you are older. (And they might choose a bad one intentionally) ;)

Not when their retirement goes bone dry.
Or they have health issues and need someone to take care of them.

People deserve respect and many parents don't give their children respect. Instead, they are treated as a burden and abused verbally/physically despite their behavior.

I find it kinda ironic how the majority of parents are defending this guy and praising him when the MAJORITY of kids are bullying others, doing drugs, stealing, etc.

You don't need to turn to such methods in order to raise your kids.
And you can make them value stuff by making them work for their allowance. Otherwise they should get stuff for good grades, birthday, and christmas.

Willow, I have not the slightest concern about being in the hands of my children when I am old.

Yet the claims of those omniscient liberals that they know what's best for that family are amusing.

You idiots just can't admit other people know better than you what works for them and their families, can you?

Not when their retirement goes bone dry.
Or they have health issues and need someone to take care of them.

People deserve respect and many parents don't give their children respect. Instead, they are treated as a burden and abused verbally/physically despite their behavior.

I find it kinda ironic how the majority of parents are defending this guy and praising him when the MAJORITY of kids are bullying others, doing drugs, stealing, etc.

You don't need to turn to such methods in order to raise your kids.
And you can make them value stuff by making them work for their allowance. Otherwise they should get stuff for good grades, birthday, and christmas.

I guess you missed the part where the daughter didn't respect her parents.

Forum List

Back