I suspect this will be thrown out

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
A moment of silence is one thing. But to label the law and require a moment for prayer is another. The first does not assume the moment will be used for religion. Though some would argue otherwise, a simple law allowing a set period of silence does not mean the use of the time will be religious in nature.

The second law REQUIRES the time be used for silent prayer or "reflection" and the reflection is termed in a manner to imply religion.

I do not agree that Separation of Church and State means what the left claims it does, BUT the reality is the courts take a dim view of enforced religious time or practices by the Government in schools.

This law is going down i suspect. All though since the current charge is against the wrong parties the itial law suit may fail and have to be redone against the correct entities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071027/ap_on_re_us/moment_of_silence

A moment of silence is one thing. But to label the law and require a moment for prayer is another. The first does not assume the moment will be used for religion. Though some would argue otherwise, a simple law allowing a set period of silence does not mean the use of the time will be religious in nature.

The second law REQUIRES the time be used for silent prayer or "reflection" and the reflection is termed in a manner to imply religion.

I do not agree that Separation of Church and State means what the left claims it does, BUT the reality is the courts take a dim view of enforced religious time or practices by the Government in schools.

This law is going down i suspect. All though since the current charge is against the wrong parties the itial law suit may fail and have to be redone against the correct entities.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071027/ap_on_re_us/moment_of_silence
You are likely correct that it will be thrown out, but all that is needed to correct the problem is to limit it to "Reflective silence", and leave out the "or prayer"---Reflective silence would leave it to the student to determine it's content INCLUDING Prayer if desired.

Forum List

Back