I support Public education

And when it fails to give us an educated population?????

Repeal and replace!

Few industrialized nations spend more on education than we do, yet we don't even make the top 10 in results. Public education has its place - but the system is outdated. We need a longer school day, a longer school year - plus a broad spectrum approach to school choice - vouchers, charters, virtual classrooms - an all of the above.

Do away with public sector unions. As a member of a teachers union for 25+ years I can assure all that the focus was not on educating children. If the government itself cannot be trusted to be a fair employer and provide a safe work environment - then what can they be trusted to do?....a rant for another day. :biggrin:

Do away with public sector unions. As a member of a teachers union for 25+ years I can assure all that the focus was not on educating children.

Yes! And eliminate public pensions.
Give them 401Ks and end unfunded liabilities.
The government match should be made immediately, not promised decades down the road.

Repeal and replace!

Few industrialized nations spend more on education than we do, yet we don't even make the top 10 in results. Public education has its place - but the system is outdated. We need a longer school day, a longer school year - plus a broad spectrum approach to school choice - vouchers, charters, virtual classrooms - an all of the above.

Do away with public sector unions. As a member of a teachers union for 25+ years I can assure all that the focus was not on educating children. If the government itself cannot be trusted to be a fair employer and provide a safe work environment - then what can they be trusted to do?....a rant for another day. :biggrin:

It is a union. It does what a union is supposed to do. They represent teachers, not students.

I find it hard to believe you joined a union without knowing its true purpose.

Do you think the Teamster's Union really cares what fuel mileage that over -the-road trucks get? Same idea!

Repeal and replace!

Do away with public sector unions. As a member of a teachers union for 25+ years I can assure all that the focus was not on educating children.

The government match should be made immediately, not promised decades down the road.

I already pay for my retirement and so do many other teachers. That retirement makes me ineligible for Social Security if I had not already been qualified and thus will still be reduced since I have both.

I support Public education as we are far better off with a educated population then something like India or worse yet Africa that allows its poor to live in slums. Education should be given to all. One could argue that we need reforms to boost up the standards of it, but one should never argue that what Trumps educational sectary wishes for is anything besides short sighted and asking for the destruction of our countries standards of living.

Am I against Charters and the choice of going to anything besides public school? No, I believe that one should be free to do as they wish...But, most poor and even some lower end middle class need our public educational system to assure a basic education for all of our children.

When even very poor countries attempt to educate their children in Africa, asia and throughout the world we can't even imagine the idea of accepting a lower standard for our country.

And yet, despite high spending, we get a crap product. Why is that? And what can be done about it?

Repeal and replace!

I already pay for my retirement and so do many other teachers. That retirement makes me ineligible for Social Security if I had not already been qualified and thus will still be reduced since I have both.

I already pay for my retirement and so do many other teachers.

Good for you. Now we need to eliminate teacher pensions going forward. States and cities can't afford the unrealistic promises made to public employee unions.

Repeal and replace!

Good for you. Now we need to eliminate teacher pensions going forward. States and cities can't afford the unrealistic promises made to public employee unions.

No. You have it backwards. Our state failed to make the required contributions to our pension funds for years, bringing it to the brink of failure.They raided the fund for pet projects, and failed to return the money. Those were the Democrats in office doing the raiding and now the Republicans are tasked with making it up.

I support Public education as we are far better off with a educated population then something like India or worse yet Africa that allows its poor to live in slums. Education should be given to all. One could argue that we need reforms to boost up the standards of it, but one should never argue that what Trumps educational sectary wishes for is anything besides short sighted and asking for the destruction of our countries standards of living.

Am I against Charters and the choice of going to anything besides public school? No, I believe that one should be free to do as they wish...But, most poor and even some lower end middle class need our public educational system to assure a basic education for all of our children.

When even very poor countries attempt to educate their children in Africa, asia and throughout the world we can't even imagine the idea of accepting a lower standard for our country.

And yet, despite high spending, we get a crap product. Why is that? And what can be done about it?

What evidence do you have that you personally are getting a crap product?

Repeal and replace!

No. You have it backwards. Our state failed to make the required contributions to our pension funds for years, bringing it to the brink of failure.They raided the fund for pet projects, and failed to return the money. Those were the Democrats in office doing the raiding and now the Republicans are tasked with making it up.

Yes, states have failed to meet the unrealistic pension promises they made.
Illinois is the worst.
To repair this issue, public employee pensions need to be replaced by 401Ks.
Fund the match in real time. No more multi-billion dollar promises to be met by our grandchildren.

It is a union. It does what a union is supposed to do. They represent teachers, not students.

I find it hard to believe you joined a union without knowing its true purpose.

Do you think the Teamster's Union really cares what fuel mileage that over -the-road trucks get? Same idea!

Yes, I know the true purpose, hence the comment as an aside. I could have gone on to address the political implications as well, but didn't. In some states there is no choice. Fl is a right to work state as they all should be...so the hook is - 'we live in a litigious society, the union will provide legal representation if you need it'. Powerful incentive.

My point, re public sector unions - the irony in trusting government agencies to manage many aspects of our daily lives, but not as an employer.

I'm not here to debate pensions, waste in spending, personal choices including dedication, discipline, minimum standards, or pay scales - the public education system needs an overhaul...and I've already given a generalized opinion as to what and why.

1. US rankings in education.

2. The fact that my local public school, which has decent outcomes, insists on using guidelines that have been statistically demonstrated to not work.

Repeal and replace!

Illinois is the worst.
Fund the match in real time. No more multi-billion dollar promises to be met by our grandchildren.

Those are not multi-billion dollars promises to be met by our grandchildren. They are benefits that were negotiated and earned by those participating in the retirement system. Why should retirees be punished for what politicians failed to do and voters failed to hold accountable at the ballot box?

Illinois is the worst.

Those are not multi-billion dollars promises to be met by our grandchildren. They are benefits that were negotiated and earned by those participating in the retirement system. Why should retirees be punished for what politicians failed to do and voters failed to hold accountable at the ballot box?

Those are not multi-billion dollars promises to be met by our grandchildren.

Who will meet them?

1. US rankings in education.

2. The fact that my local public school, which has decent outcomes, insists on using guidelines that have been statistically demonstrated to not work.

1. US rankings compared to who? You have bought into an exaggeration.

2. What guidelines? No one knows what any of that means. Get your ducks in a row and answer the question or admit you are talking out of your backside.

Illinois is the worst.

Who will meet them?

The taxpayers need to meet them now. Breaking a contract is illegal. Fund it by raising taxes or else.

Illinois is the worst.

Who will meet them?

The taxpayers need to meet them now. Breaking a contract is illegal. Fund it by raising taxes or else.

The taxpayers need to meet them now.

I agree. All 401K contributions should be made at the same time the income is earned.
No more open ended, unaffordable pension promises.

Illinois is the worst.

Who will meet them?

The taxpayers need to meet them now.

I agree. All 401K contributions should be made at the same time the income is earned.
No more open ended, unaffordable pension promises.

Many states have already done this. Florida did it while I was there about 15 years ago, but I still get my retirement forever!

At least that compensates me a little for the pittance they paid me while I worked there.

Forum List

Back