I say.......YES!!

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
Should Your Child Be Spanked at School?

It is one of the most controversial methods of child discipline, but spanking in school -- usually with a wooden or fiberglass paddle -- is still allowed by law in 19 states. The practice is most prevalent in the Midwest and South. According to a report from the Juvenile Information Exchange, more than 28,500 students in Georgia were spanked in 2008, mostly in rural counties.

Should Your Child Be Spanked at School? - Yahoo!

I have no problem as long as the child needs it, it's handed out fairly and as long as another teacher is there as a witness.

It is one of the most controversial methods of child discipline, but spanking in school -- usually with a wooden or fiberglass paddle -- is still allowed by law in 19 states. The practice is most prevalent in the Midwest and South. According to a report from the Juvenile Information Exchange, more than 28,500 students in Georgia were spanked in 2008, mostly in rural counties.

I have no problem as long as the child needs it, it's handed out fairly and as long as another teacher is there as a witness.

Absolutely not.

That was pretty much a normal thing when I was going to school. That, and the other spanking you got at home for getting a spanking in school. It didn't seem to stunt my growth or anything.

That was pretty much a normal thing when I was going to school. That, and the other spanking you got at home for getting a spanking in school. It didn't seem to stunt my growth or anything.

We evolve. You don't smack kids around, you work with them.

In my day it was SOP, parents were informed, punishment delivered. The infractions were disrespect of authority, failing to cease and desist at the command of the teacher, and destruction of school property. The parent had a choice, punishment, or suspension for 5 days. Disrupting a class, fighting, and disrespect toward fellow class mates earned a trip to study hall, then the paddle for repeat offenders. We all survived, learned to respect authority, and coexist in a class room of 30 or so kids. When a teacher spoke we listened and followed instructions.

Sorry too much of a slippery slope.

Someone lays a hand on my child I'm attacking!

If the child attacks then I have no problem with them taking the kid down, even if that means punchs (esp if your dealing with highschool kids), but spanking is out of the question.

My kids didn't need a paddling by me. I'll be damned if someone else lays a hand on them. They are grown now but I teach in the high school in which they graduated. No corporal punishment takes place.

What good did the paddling policy bring? Those that were in school during the heyday of paddling have gotten and kept this country in terrible shape. I vote no, as a parent and teacher.

[E]vidence clearly suggests that corporal punishment does not effectively teach children how to behave and does not improve their learning. Given the risks it poses, the question is: why would an adult use such a method of discipline at all when there are other methods available? Do the risks outweigh the benefits of immediate compliance? If children can be effectively disciplined and learn in the process, what then is the justification for using physical punishment to control them?

Spare the rod and teach the child | Victoria Talwar and Stephanie M Carlson | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Another problem with corporal punishment is it reinforces the legitimacy of violence as a means to resolve conflict.

Hey...parents can't even spank their kids anymore (I'd had a few of them!)....so why should teachers be able to spank our kids??? If i can't, they shouldn't either...

:lol: Parents who "work with" their kids, raise rotten little brats who push them around. My son misbehaves and I crack his ass the other way. Guess what. It's not something I have to do all that often and he rarely gets in trouble at school.

[E]vidence clearly suggests that corporal punishment does not effectively teach children how to behave and does not improve their learning. Given the risks it poses, the question is: why would an adult use such a method of discipline at all when there are other methods available? Do the risks outweigh the benefits of immediate compliance? If children can be effectively disciplined and learn in the process, what then is the justification for using physical punishment to control them?

Spare the rod and teach the child | Victoria Talwar and Stephanie M Carlson | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Another problem with corporal punishment is it reinforces the legitimacy of violence as a means to resolve conflict.

Violence is a legitimate way of resolving conflict.

I don't think it works. Just adds calluses to both sides of the relationship.

Now what I did is I had the kids do push ups. It built them up. And half the time I was right there with them showing I wasn't going to have them do anything I couldn't do too. By the time they were in 4th grade they could do 40.

And they hated it. And they tried to avoid it.

I had a cousin that got disciplined with coat hangers. He wound up in Juvie early, which he prefered. And from there it was a step to a long stretch in Maximim security

I'm afraid that is what has happened to our society.

We let kids get away with murder. We are afraid to discipline our children. Discipline is not abuse.

Now our kids as they have grown up, think there are no consequences to their actions. They believe that they can do whatever they want because no one has ever done any more than put them in time out for five minutes.

I certainly don't advocate beating your kids, but, I have to admit, I can't think of a time when I did anything more than swat my diapered daughter on the rearend and that only one time. With three kids, I seem to have been pretty lucky, but the other day I found out that my underage son had been out drinking with friends. Well, this time he at least had played designated driver, but per his admission that has not always been the case.

He doesn't have a clue that there are consequences for his actions and now, I can only pray that those consequences do not ruin his life. In that respect, I have failed as a father, because I let the idiots on the left convince me that it is more loving to pat your kid on the head and say, "It's okay, don't do it again.".

Immie

Last edited:
Fifteen years ago I was teaching first grade in a small rural school...the elementary and secondary schools were 20 feet apart. I had walked over to the main office to get my mail, and the HS principal poked his head out and told me that I needed to step into his office. There was a young girl in there, probably 15, and he proceeded to paddle her. I was so caught off guard...but my gut feeling was that it was inappropriate. Also, she was too old to be bending over in front of a middle aged man, and I resented the position that he put me in. I went back to my principal and expressed my discomfort, and that I would never again be put in that situation. BTW, the policy of the school, for whatever they deemed paddle worthy, was to call the parents and get their permission first.

Custom designed plan.

I have a brown dog and a white dog. The brown one needs to get dressed down at least once every three days for chasing some poor woodland creature across the property. The white one HATES it when I'm mad at her so all I have to do is bark.

The reason I know how to discipline my pups is that I know my pups. It's that complex, it's that simple.

It's the parents job to administer any corporal punishment, ass-u-me-ing the parents know their pups.

Custom designed plan.

I have a brown dog and a white dog. The brown one needs to get dressed down at least once every three days for chasing some poor woodland creature across the property. The white one HATES it when I'm mad at her so all I have to do is bark.

The reason I know how to discipline my pups is that I know my pups. It's that complex, it's that simple.

It's the parents job to administer any corporal punishment, ass-u-me-ing the parents know their pups.

I tend to agree with ya on this, as I have never had to spank my kids.

It would really shock me if one of them had ever done anything to deserve corporal punishment though... thats me 'knowing my pups'. :D

So I would rather if corporal punishment was to be administered, contact me 1st.

Then there are those kids that need have the fear of Gawd put into them every once in a while. I knew several as a kid... I only rec'd 'swats' twice. Once was well deserved, and the other not so much, but it didnt kill me.

That's a noble attitude, Sarah. Unfortunately the "work with them" approach simply does not work with some kids because the only thing they respond to is manifest anger in the form of administered pain.

According to my grandchildren the situation in today's Catholic schools is not the same as it was in my time. But back in the 40s and 50s (as I vividly recall) the Franciscan brothers and Carmelite nuns wouldn't hesitate to use a cat-o-nine-tails or a blackboard pointer on one who stepped out of line -- and if need be a few of those Franciscans would drag you into the gym and "beat the devil out of you."

But the bottom line is St. Francis Xavier School and Academy won top academic honors in New York State year after year and St. Francis grads were invited to some of the Nation's best universities.

Forum List

Back