I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

Re Christmas, check all statements that apply to you:

• Christmas is Christmas. Celebrate it!!!

Votes: 18 62.1%
  • Happy Holidays is more considerate of the feelings of others.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Put Christmas (and other religious festivals) back into the schools.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Keep Christmas (and other religious festivals) out of the schools.

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Only secular Christmas observances are P.C.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Each community should practice their own chosen Christmas customs.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters
bascially with the caps you are yelling ....then being confrontational with 'you got a problem with that'

i am simply saying....you seem to be the one with the problem

any of those greetings beat a 'fuck you'....so what is the problem?

bascially with the caps you are yelling ....then being confrontational with 'you got a problem with that'

i am simply saying....you seem to be the one with the problem

any of those greetings beat a 'fuck you'....so what is the problem?

I don't deny that I have a problem with those who want to prevent me from celebrating a holiday in the way I want to celebrate it. And I looked to see if there were any other threads on this particular theme and I didn't see any or I wouldn't have started this thread.

Again, please re-read the OP with an open mind. I am NOT complaining about how anybody celebrates the holidays. I am NOT demanding that anybody else celebrate it the way I do. I am only asking to return to a time when people could celebrate Christmas as Christmas without all the other P.C. crap. Is that too much to ask?

Why does my Christmas wish sound like I have a problem to you?

Why do you resent me using all caps to say MERRY CHRISTMAS?????

Personally I think the world would be a whole lot happier place if there were a lot more people yelling MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! or something better than 'fuck you'.

Religious demographics were almost 100% Christian when America was founded.
Christmas was established as a Christian Holiday.
76% or more of Americans list some form of Christianity as their religious faith.
America has welcomed and accepted people of many other religious faiths but these still make up a relatively small percentage of the population.
In one way or another, Christmas is observed by almost 100% of the U.S. population either as a religious holiday or as a secular holiday.
Christmas, as Americans have observed it, is largely an American cultural tradition.

Most of my non-Christian friends celebrate Christmas as enthusiastically as the Christians and ad their own traditions to it.

This joke was sent to me by my Jewish friend and neighbor :)

The Teacher asked young Patrick Murphy: "What do you do at Christmas time?

Patrick addressed the class: "Well Ms. Jones, me and my twelve brothers and sisters go to midnight mass and we sing hymns; then we come home very late and we put mince pies by the back door and hang up our stockings. Then all excited, we go to bed and wait for Father Christmas to come with all our toys.

"Very nice Patrick," she said. "Now Jimmy Brown, what do you do at Christmas?"

Well, Ms. Jones, me and my sister also go to church with Mom and Dad and we sing carols and we get home ever so late. We put cookies and milk by the chimney and we hang up our stockings. We hardly sleep, waiting for Santa Claus to bring our presents.

Realizing there was a Jewish boy in the class and not wanting to leave him out of the discussion, she asked, "Now, Isaac Cohen, what do you do at Christmas?"

Isaac said, "Well, it's the same thing every year...Dad comes home from the office. We all pile into the Rolls Royce; then we drive to Dad's toy factory. When we get inside, we look at all the empty shelves...and begin to sing: “What A Friend We Have in Jesus”. Then we all go to the Bahamas.

The point, is why should it offend ANYBODY to celebrate Christmas as Christmas in churches, in the community, in the schools, and in our homes? If you don't believe in Jesus, there is still Santa Claus and the Grinch. For more than 170 years, American schools enjoyed Christmas plays, Christmas concerts, decorated classrooms, put up a Christmas tree, and enjoyed all the great traditional music, religious and non religious, of the season. Somehow none of the Buddhist or Jewish or Hindu or Atheist kids were corrupted or left out in the least during all this time and most participated and had a ball. It was non coercive, a joy to participate in whether or not somebody was religious, and the high point of the year for many communities.

When there were kids of other faiths in our groups, we learned about and celebrated their religious festivals with them, sang their songs, and learned their traditions too. They didn't demand that Christmas accommodate their beliefs and we Christians didn't demand that they accommodate ours.

Why can't we still do that? Who or why is Christmas being made a derogatory term that 'might be' offensive to somebody and therefore should be avoided or put in the back someplace? What is it to you Atheists, anti-religious, anti-Christian, or others that finds Christmas such a threat? Why is that creche in the public square so offensive to you?

And you Christians and others who love Christmas? Don't you miss the freedom to celebrate Christmas that we once had?

Merry Christmas everybody!!!!! I want to celebrate it!

aw_jeez.jpg

I say MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!! You got a problem with that?

I have no problem with it.

And I would hope that you would not be offended by someone who says "Happy Holidays" to you.

I am not the least bit offended by somebody greeting me with Happy Holidays or Happy Hannukah or any other greeting that is actually a greeting. I just don't understand why all the other greetings are okay but saying Merry Christmas and celebrating Christmas as Christmas should be offensive to anybody.

And so far nobody seems to want to deal with that but are dancing all around it with all sorts of other stuff.

December 25th is Christmas Day.
There is no getting around it.
I understand all the dancing around it leading up to the day.
I don't care for it but I understand...

On Christmas Day watching TV and the local stations
or network TV has a commercial break to wish everyone
Happy Holidays is BS.It's Christmas Day and they can't even
get the words out.

And when people stop calling a Christmas tree a Christmas tree what's going on?
Now I'm hearing people calling it the Holiday Tree.

Pure nonsense.

For all the self-centered, PC morons who think THEY know what offends others, it seems as if few are actually offended when "Merry Christmas" is uttered to them.

So, to all the overly-sensitive, self-centered, arrogant, PC maggots, piss off. You got it wrong.

i dont 'resent' it......i thought everyone knew caps were yelling......i am amused that you yell merry christmas then get confrontational with it....

For those actually discussing the topic thank you.

For those that the subject of Christmas seems to bring out their very worst, you kind of make my point with this thread. So acknowledging the trolls desperate to change the subject, the profanity and unkind words and the neg rep received thus far. Just so you guys won't feel ignored. I wish those of you disinterested in the topic would find something else to do though.

Now if you don't mind, I would like to continue the discussion suggested in the OP

The Demographics really don't matter. But almost all of those who first came here, at least those that were religious at all, were Christian. The Indians didn't consider themselves to be Americans so I am not counting them. And Christmas was established in this country by those who came here and it was established as a Chrisitan Holy Day. Others, the non Christians or the not especially religious would embrace the occasion and make it their own complete with their own stories and traditions and imagery of Santa and elves and sugar plum fairies.

So the question in the OP, if we could get back to that please, is what is it about Christmas that is so offensive to so many of you? How is it a threat to anybody? Why should it be offensive to anybody? When it wasn't a problem for more than 150 years, why is it necessary to change "Christmas" to "Holidays" or cut out most traditional religious Christmas carols in schools to avoid 'offending' somebody? Who are all these people who are offended?
It's only offensive to a very very small number of crackpots which your paranoia and lack of faith and good will has conflated into a vast conspiracy that leads you to use Christmas as a tool to bash people.

Which is totally anti-Jesus. You are a victim of your own stupidity.

For all the self-centered, PC morons who think THEY know what offends others, it seems as if few are actually offended when "Merry Christmas" is uttered to them.

So, to all the overly-sensitive, self-centered, arrogant, PC maggots, piss off. You got it wrong.
You may not have been directing this post at foxfyre but it certainly describes her to a tee.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_q_UMI3tQ"]Happy Holidays - Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire - Holiday Inn - YouTube[/ame]

Happy Holidays and season's greetings have been going on for a very very long time...here is bing crosby!

You may not have been directing this post at foxfyre but it certainly describes her to a tee.
Aren't you the little coward?

I am getting tired of this "War on Christmas" nonsense. Poor Christians whining that their sacred holiday is not given it's due recognition

My observation is that if anything, Christmas is out of control. The official recognition of the Christmas season used to start after Thanksgiving. It now starts right after Labor Day when the Back to School displays come down. Christmas Trees, displays, reminders of the need to buy gifts start before Summer is even over.

Christmas specials used to be run on TV the week before Christmas. They now start the day after Thanksgiving

If anything, let's reign in Christmas to the actual Christmas season

I don't believe I said I have any problem with somebody saying Happy Holidays to me. I am pretty sure I didn't even infer that. I have a problem with those who resent my saying Merry Christmas to them.

So if you know that someone is of another religion, or of no faith, do you still say Merry Christmas to them?

Happy Holidays - Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire - Holiday Inn - YouTube

Happy Holidays and season's greetings have been going on for a very very long time...here is bing crosby!

At the time when that song was popular it was an inclusion of Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

The Happy Holiday of now is to exclude the celebration of Jesus birth in the public arena.
The political correctness crowd are the ones who have made this into a division and a war on the religious aspect of Christmas.

Christmas was all inclusive where all could celebrate with what they wanted it to mean for them.

Jesus is the main reason for the season, but it is also for everyone.
To Jews it's the celebration of festival of lights - Christmas lights. With their celebration of Hanukkah.
To Pagans it is celebration of the winter solstice.
Kwanzaa is celebration of community and culture - meaning is first fruits of the harvest.
For non believers it is also a time for family, friendship, and loving one another.
This is why we have Santa and other things mixed in with the holiday, where all can share in the holiday.

Since the sixties the atheist and non believers have attacked this holiday and want to get Christ out of the holiday trying to make it secular.

Now I ask Americans - who are the dividers and the intolerant ones?
Christians who include all for this celebration ?
Or Secularists who want the main reason for the season to be gone and silenced?
Who are the real dividers?
Hearing about Jesus birth is not going to indoctrinate you to Christianity. It never has and it never will.

I don't believe I said I have any problem with somebody saying Happy Holidays to me. I am pretty sure I didn't even infer that. I have a problem with those who resent my saying Merry Christmas to them.

So if you know that someone is of another religion, or of no faith, do you still say Merry Christmas to them?

What harm does it do? If someone says Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukkah to me I'll say thank you and you also back, if they say Merry Christmas, I'll say it back, it's simple courtesy if nothing else.

Forum List

Back