I Saw the Andromeda Strain

The fears of a human extinction event from a virus are overblown. A virus that is extremely virulent and quickly kills its hosts seals its own fate.

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

'Andromeda Strain', the 1971 movie, from 'Jurassic Park' author Michael Crichton, would be considered boring for a sci-fi movie in the 'Star Wars' generations. Most of the movie concentrates on the scientist's efforts to identify the organism (which, by the way, wasn't a virus, but much smaller).

It still manages to be a taught thriller, plenty of scientifically accurate dialog (by the standards of the day).

6016topAndr.jpg

They even managed a little gratuitous nudity and maintain a G-rating.

'Fail Safe' didn't hit theaters until 1964 ... a full six-months after a comedy with a very similar plot ... "Dr. Strangelove" was released.

Many people went to the theater expecting to see a funny satire like "DS" only to be treated to a tense political thriller. One of the reasons the very good movie failed at the box office.

failsafehagmanfonda-e1518024500529.png

would be considered boring for a sci-fi movie in the 'Star Wars' generations. Most of the movie concentrates on the scientist's efforts to identify the organism (which, by the way, wasn't a virus, but much smaller).

I remember I was 7 or 8 watching AS on TV and I freaked a little at the monkey dying in the cage (they were testing)...it was tough to watch that little guy die the way he did.

'Fail Safe' didn't hit theaters until 1964 ... a full six-months after a comedy with a very similar plot ... "Dr. Strangelove" was released.

Many people went to the theater expecting to see a funny satire like "DS" only to be treated to a tense political thriller. One of the reasons the very good movie failed at the box office.

failsafehagmanfonda-e1518024500529.png

I liked it.

I liked it too. Great movie with a great cast. It as just promoted very poorly by the studio.

would be considered boring for a sci-fi movie in the 'Star Wars' generations. Most of the movie concentrates on the scientist's efforts to identify the organism (which, by the way, wasn't a virus, but much smaller).

I remember I was 7 or 8 watching AS on TV and I freaked a little at the monkey dying in the cage (they were testing)...it was tough to watch that little guy die the way he did.

The monkey didn't actually die. They suffocated him until he passed out.

The monkey didn't actually die. They suffocated him until he passed out.

They just said that to avoid trouble...they snuffed out that monkey like a candle! :)

If you watch the film. They got to still frame straight after the monkey passes out.

They do that will all the dead body shots of humans too. To avoid seeing the bodies breathe.

We had a asteroid/comet return mission about a decade or so ago that had a rough landing back on earth. It was supposed to be picked in the air by a jet while it was floating down on its parachutes. The craft crashed and the cannister was supposedly opened by the force of the landing. Nothing happened to us. I do not remember if it dug anything or just collected dust around the asteroid/comet.

Forum List

Back