"I, Robot", "Spiderman 2", and "Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle"

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
Over the past week and a half, being without any furniture or major appliances (the mover's are being slow) and now without electricity at home (the hurricane has further delayed the movers), I've had a chance (or been forced, however you want to look at it) to see a variety of movies in the theatre. Four in fact. Those being:

I, Robot staring Wil Smith and Bridget Moynahan.

Spiderman 2 staring Toby Maguire and the ever lucious Kirsten Dunst.

The Manchurian Candidate staring Denzel Washington.

and

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle staring who knows.

The third, The Manchurian Candidate, I'll discuss in the already begun and recent thread for that movie, but the other three I'll address here.

I, Robot

I, Robot, as I earlier predicted, had virtually nothing to do with the book by Isaac Asimov of the same name. Nevertheless, it wasn't a bad movie. The action was brisk, exciting, and original. Original because there aren't that many movies where armies of supposedly good robots run amok in the middle of town, or at least not that I've seen. For those of you, and I know you're out there, that "just can't get into that sort of thing", be all means avoid this movie because it's all science-fiction.

There are some elements to the plot that don't make much sense (or if you think they do, feel free to enlighten), such as the exact motivation of the main robot character (who's name escapes me, robbie, johnny, something or other), or the difference between the picture drawn by the aforementioned robot and the reality of the situation at the end of the movie.

The special effects were flawless and visually stimulating, and the music....well I don't remember the music....so it must have been fine.

The bits of humor were funny, and generally the writing and acting was completely adequate. I say adequate because as most people realize these movies are made for the visuals and not so much for the intellectual aspect.

The parallels to Isaac Asimov include the basic "Three Laws of Robotics" found in all his books containing functioning robots, and also what was known of in the books as, but not named in the movie, the Zeroth Law of Robotics. For those of you who don't know what that is I won't elaborate as it relates to the end of the movie. Suffice it to say, in this movie the Zeroth Law is twisted so that it produces a negative outcome.

Still I enjoyed the movie, and as a visual experience it was worth seeing on the big screen.

Spiderman 2

I won't go too much into Spiderman. It is much like the first installation, and odds are if you liked the first movie you'll like this one. If you didn't, you won't.

I enjoyed this movie, but as it is a prequel I feel the need to deal mainly with it's shortcommings. First, and I can't stress this enough, too much romance. Man up and bang her or stop messing with the girl, there is no maybe-in-between-I-don't-know about it. Unfortunately, in this movie there is and awful lot of maybe-in-between-I-don't-know. ANd quite honestly, it's not very interesting to watch. Then there's the Hobgoblin (the Green Goblin's (Wilem Dafoe) son for the first movie, I forget his name) acting like a whining bitch, and not only is that annoying, but if I were Spiderman.....

And no, he doesn't turn into the Hobgoblin this episode, we'll probably have to wait for 3 for that. I'm just calling him that because I forget his actual name.

Having said all that, the fight between Spiderman and Doctor Octupus on the subway train is pretty f'ing cool, and ultimately the only part of the movie that I really truly enjoyed.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle

Here we have your typical stoner slash road trip slash everything goes wrong movie. There I've sumed up the whole thing for you. Now you don't have to see it.

For this genre, simply not enough T & A. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. We get a peek at Freakshow's wife and that's it. Sorry not good enough.

Some of the jokes were funny, though not many. I think I snickered out loud once (though I can't even now remember when, so hwo funny could it have been?), and the part when Kumar is pissing on a bush in the middle of woods and some random guy walks up out of nowhere and starts pissing on the same bush, well that was kinda funny.

Just a bland uninspired movie, but maybe it was just cause I wasn't stoned. Oh well. Can't wait for Harold and Kumar go to Amsterdam.

Forum List

Back