I remember when.....

Fmr jarhead

Aug 9, 2004
SoFLA
Pumping gas that cost $0.29 per gallon

Looking at the sticker from my mom's brand new '67 convertible Camero ($2327)

Little red caps, made of paper...and rubbing them off with my fingers and getting black powder burns.

The Jewel Tea man....and those wonderful coffee cakes he would sell to my mom.

The milkman delivering to our house with real glass bottles of milk!

Anyone else?

Cheapest gas I remember was 39.9 cents.

I remember when the Slinky Commercial was new...

You know the one (What walks down stairs, alone or in pairs...)

Does that count?

Pumping gas that cost $0.89 per gallon

Looking at the sticker from my dad's brand new '79 F150 ($78xx)

Little red caps, made of paper...and rubbing them off with my fingers and getting black powder burns.

that's about it. :(

Fmr jarhead said:
Pumping gas that cost $0.29 per gallon

Looking at the sticker from my mom's brand new '67 convertible Camero ($2327)

The Jewel Tea man....and those wonderful coffee cakes he would sell to my mom.

The milkman delivering to our house with real glass bottles of milk!

Anyone else?

All those except gas was $0.49.

Your behaviour was a reflection of your parent's ability to be parents.

It was safe to go outside and play in the neighborhood. I would leave the house at 8 a.m. - home at lunch - then back out until the street lights came on. Parents never worried.

You could eat everything that was in your Halloween bag.

I remember when toy guns looked like small copies of the real thing and bringing one to school meant only that you were going to play "Cops and Robbers" or "Cowboys and Indians" not that you would be expelled for hurting somebody else's feelings by forcing them to watch you play such a "violent" game.

I remember getting the crappy game "Operation" for my birthday. But I think that was in 1981. i had a "Speak and Spell" too, but I don't think it worked right!
Chips were a quarter around the same time.

Cheapest gas I remember is $0.69 a gallon.

I remember when your choice of gas was regular (leaded) or unleaded.

The wierdest thing Michael Jackson did was wear one glove.

Soda cans that you had to pull the tab completely off to drink it.

The Pledge of Allegiance being just another part of the school day.

Saying a prayer before a football game without wondering if it would lead to a court case.

Being a little shocked when I heard the word "sucks" used on prime time television.

Putting a quarter in an arcade game and playing for about an hour.

I also remember when I didn't have to go to work at 3pm in the afternoon.

:bye1:

Watching Mom pump gas at .59 per gallon.

My parents buying a brand new '84 Ford Mustang... convertible!

Scooby Doo on vinyl!

Being the only kid in my neighborhood with an Atari 5200... everyone else had the 2600.

Van Halen 1984 was a new release.

Those books that came with a record. (Ding! Turn the Page!)

Our TV had to warm up before we could watch it, there were only 4 channels that we could watch and one was always fuzzy.

Cartoons were only on Saturday.

I don't remember the gas prices, but I am sure they were only in the 30 to 40 cent range... Put it this way, I remember when putting $1 of gas in your car would get your some place!

Gilligan's Island

Twisting the antenna outside while my dad would holler "the other way".

Cowboy Antennas (we would have to use a BIG antenna to pick up the Cowboy game from Waco whenever the Cowboy game wasn't sold out in Dallas)

party lines

using letters to dial the phone and there only being 5 or sometimes, 6 digits. (one or two letters followed by numbers)

When Ben Stiller's mom and dad hosted some show on HBO (watched it one summer when visiting my relatives in LA)

Stamps cost.... I think 12 cents...

Ed Too Tall Jones trying to be a boxer...

Shag carpet

I remember being the only kid on my block with a personal computer (one of the first Macs).

I remember when Nintendo was brand new (remember the robot?).

Cheapest gas I remember was $0.79 and I've never seen a car that didn't say "unleaded only," unless it was considered a "classic."

I remember when Nickelodeon was only one station and the classic adult programs (Nick at Nite) started at 7.

I remember when Law and Order was new.

I remember when Michael Jackson was black and Vanilla Ice was considered good, M.C. Hammer, too.

That's all for now.

I remember the first time I ever heard Bi@#h and B@#$rd on regular television, during moonlighting remember that show? I was shocked :shocked: and I was about 16 or 17. Now look at television nobody blinks an eye over a curse word anymore!

Big Chief notepads...

Mimeograph machines (and smelling the ink when they first handed out the copies)

Typewriters without an electrical plug

The smell of the Eucalyptus trees in my grandma and grandpa's house in CA, mixed with the sweet smell of peach cobbler, freshly baked from scratch.

Going out to play, and knowing I had better be home before the sun went down.

Getting my butt spanked by ANY adult who caught me doing wrong, and then letting my mom know about it, so she could spank me too.

Using clothes pins to hold my Topps baseball cards in the spokes of my bike (which only had 1 speed)

First concert I went to without a chaperone was Heart and the opening act was Johnny Cougar (concert venue was 120 miles from home)

Liberace had a TV show.
Gunsmoke was THE show on Saturday night
Mr. Ed.
Service stations actually serviced your car.
Women saved Top Value (yellow) & S&H (green) stamps to redeem for merchandise.
My first 45, I was 11, I think, was "Sad Movies Make Me Cry".

Like someone else said, don't remember gas prices, but could get enough gas to drive to Wisc border with change from under sofa cushions and my dad's dresser top. If we had $10 bucks, could buy enough beer to be dangerous.

The 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.'

Pretending I liked the Beatles, so my girlfriend's older brother thought I was cool, he was 10.

Ditching jr. high cheerleading practice to watch 'Dark Shadows'. (I wish it was still on!)

Being able to get into houses being constructed, walking the beams on the top story and the damn houses had 2 sub-basements! :shocked: Damn, I would have killed my kids. We collected the 'slugs' from the electrical boxes and screwed up every pay phone within walking distance!

Caps guns that would 'fire' those red caps that you could scratch and get powder marks off of.

The 'Original Slinky'

Nixon resigning!

- When Jimnyc posted 30-40 times a day.

- When there were only 50 members of the board, yet lots of flaming! :D

- When it was DK and KL instead of STY and MyName.

- When it was dmp instead of -=d=-

- When there was no temporary banning and no rep

- When you only needed 300 posts to be on the Top 10 Posters list

- When there was a Top 10 Posters List

-- When they charged by the minute to use the internet. (I was tech support at Compuserve).

-- When pay phones were 10 cents and if you called the Operator and said the phone lost your dime they would drop one into the return slot remotely.

-- My TI "Home Computer" that had a ripping 2k of RAM! and used a tape recorder as the hard drive and portable storage.

-- The Apple IIe my friend's mom got him, we were so jealous.

-- ATARI. (Space Invaders, Circus, Asteroids, ...)

Ok, gas was about 25 cents. And there was a gas station on every corner, they constantly had gas wars and the price would sometimes be 16 or 17 cents, for full service.

Full service meant windows washed, oil checked. Tire pressure checked. And the gas pumped. You got the same service whether you bought a gallon or filled it up.

We use to go cruising all night on $2 worth of gas.

Comic books were a dime. Stamps were 3 cents.

I too remember the 5 digit telephone numbers. Mine was 66966. it got changed to 46966 and years later they added TR but we usually didn't use it cause the 5 digits worked just fine.

Howdy Doodey was the favorite show of all the kids.

Mickey Mouse club replaced it a few years later. And Disney came on every Wednesday night.

There were only 3 channels on a small black and white.And there was no such thing as 24 hour programing.

In school we got polio shots and small pox vacinations.

Forum List

Back