CDZ I Recently Watched American Sniper

I find labeling Chris Kyle a "hero" somewhat disingenuous.

He was just a soldier who was highly proficient at his job. ...... :cool:
I consider all those who risk their lives in service to my country to be heros. Chris Kyle was one of many such heros.

The reason American Sniper is getting so much shall we say dislike from the left is because in my opinion the movie did not do three things a lot of the left would want to see in a movie concerning the Iraq war. It did not portray the American solider as a kill crazy psycho, it did not have a blame America theme, and there was no trashing of George W Bush. It was a story about one solider and the effect the war had on him and his family no flag waving no political messages as far as people considering Kyle a hero well that is all in the eye of the beholder there are a lot of people who consider Edward Snowden a hero everyone has their own idea of what a hero is.
They had crazy GI movies in a few WWII movies produced 50 years ago...
Frankly, it isn't that good a movie to warrant all the attention it is getting. Chris Kyle was no more of a hero sniping from a rooftop than were the guys who were kicking in doors to search for terrorists. Like many others he came home with PTSD, but volunteering for four tours didn't help that condition or his family life, either. For me, the main lesson of the movie is that we squandered the sacrifices of these soldiers to make Iraq safe for its citizens.
I liked the US sniper in Saving Private Ryan...

It is better that Saving Private Ryan - imo.
The reason American Sniper is getting so much shall we say dislike from the left is because in my opinion the movie did not do three things a lot of the left would want to see in a movie concerning the Iraq war. It did not portray the American solider as a kill crazy psycho, it did not have a blame America theme, and there was no trashing of George W Bush. It was a story about one solider and the effect the war had on him and his family no flag waving no political messages as far as people considering Kyle a hero well that is all in the eye of the beholder there are a lot of people who consider Edward Snowden a hero everyone has their own idea of what a hero is.
Frankly, it isn't that good a movie to warrant all the attention it is getting. Chris Kyle was no more of a hero sniping from a rooftop than were the guys who were kicking in doors to search for terrorists. Like many others he came home with PTSD, but volunteering for four tours didn't help that condition or his family life, either. For me, the main lesson of the movie is that we squandered the sacrifices of these soldiers to make Iraq safe for its citizens.

I liked Saving Private Ryan but agree American Sniper is better these two along with the Band Of Brothers miniseries are my top three war movies.
Yes, I liked the series also...My channels at home are usually on the AHC..

Is it worth watching?

Best movie I've seen in ten years. You need to go to the theatre and see it. It is well worth the money.
I'd go just cause it's a Clint Eastwood production..

Agreed! This is one film not to wait until it's released for streaming. The awesomeness of the chilling musical sound track and effects can never be appreciated without seeing/hearing it in a theater. I thought the choppers were flying right over my head. I seldom ever go to a theater for movies and am so glad that little something inside me, told me to go. You could hear a pin drop for two hours and 12 minutes. I loved the way Eastwood went back-and-forth from Iraq to the family. This was not a typical war movie.

Is it worth watching?

Best movie I've seen in ten years. You need to go to the theatre and see it. It is well worth the money.
I'd go just cause it's a Clint Eastwood production..

Agreed! This is one film not to wait until it's released for streaming. The awesomeness of the chilling musical sound track and effects can never be appreciated without seeing/hearing it in a theater. I thought the choppers were flying right over my head. I seldom ever go to a theater for movies and am so glad that little something inside me, told me to go. You could hear a pin drop for two hours and 12 minutes. I loved the way Eastwood went back-and-forth from Iraq to the family. This was not a typical war movie.

So true! It wasn't! I haven't been to a movie theatre in years but I went to see American Sniper and it was an outstanding film - very well done - congrats to Clint Eastwood too.

I liked Saving Private Ryan but agree American Sniper is better these two along with the Band Of Brothers miniseries are my top three war movies.

Haven't seen Band of Brothers but the movie 300 was in my top three picks for best war movies. American Sniper is at the top of the other two.

Haven't seen Band of Brothers but the movie 300 was in my top three picks for best war movies. American Sniper is at the top of the other two.
300 was no where close to reality....

You forgot the wholesale absence of moral equivocation.

Wait... did you just agree that a movie you haven't seen isn't that good of a movie?

Do you always argue from prejudice and/or the opinion of others, or is this a special case?
Again: Based on what I've read and heard, by and from persons whose opinions I respect, about this fellow, Kyle, and about this movie, I believe I know what to expect and so I wouldn't go any further than HBO to watch it.

If I ever do watch it, and if I find my expectations are flawed, I will say so. But until then I think I know what to expect and I'm not anxious to see this movie.

Any movie that pisses the pansy left off this bad has got to be a world-class winner.

I don't remember reading that anyone was "pissed". Its just that some people believe the movie be truthful.

The US still thinks war is a John Wayne movie and this movie demeans and belittles what Kyle and others gave to their country.

I just noticed this typo in my post. It should read, "Its just that some people believe the movie should be truthful."

Wait... did you just agree that a movie you haven't seen isn't that good of a movie?
Do you always argue from prejudice and/or the opinion of others, or is this a special case?
Again: Based on what I've read and heard, by and from persons whose opinions I respect, about this fellow, Kyle, and about this movie, I believe I know what to expect and so I wouldn't go any further than HBO to watch it.
So you DID just agree that a movie you haven't seen isn't that good of a movie and you ARE arguing from prejudice and/or the opinion of others.
Thank you for illustrating that your opinion here need not be taken seriously.

Forum List

Back