CDZ I Recently Watched American Sniper

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
Frankly, it isn't that good a movie to warrant all the attention it is getting. Chris Kyle was no more of a hero sniping from a rooftop than were the guys who were kicking in doors to search for terrorists. Like many others he came home with PTSD, but volunteering for four tours didn't help that condition or his family life, either. For me, the main lesson of the movie is that we squandered the sacrifices of these soldiers to make Iraq safe for its citizens.

Any movie that pisses the pansy left off this bad has got to be a world-class winner.

I don't remember reading that anyone was "pissed". Its just that some people believe the movie be truthful.

The US still thinks war is a John Wayne movie and this movie demeans and belittles what Kyle and others gave to their country.

Frankly, it isn't that good a movie to warrant all the attention it is getting.
I agree.

And while I haven't seen the movie I've read and heard enough about it to believe the reason for such unwarranted tribute calls for considerable thought to comprehend.

Chris Kyle was no more of a hero sniping from a rooftop than were the guys who were kicking in doors to search for terrorists.
I agree.

But a critically important pivotal question resides in that comparison. The question being why American soldiers were sniping Iraqis and kicking down the doors of Iraqi homes.

Seventy-three years ago the Japanese attacked a United States territory and killed a lot of Americans. The Germans chose to align with them and declared war on the us. So those Americans, including my father and an uncle, who responded to that monumental threat by killing Japanese and Germans and ravaging their countries engaged in those psychologically tormenting activities with absolutely no moral consequence -- which ultimately manifests as guilt.

It is one thing to contemplate and to talk about killing Iraqis, kicking down their doors, and transforming their highly developed civilization into third world rubble. But I believe actually doing and physically participating in such activities is quite another thing. Especially when the time arrives to quietly ask oneself why. Because after all is said and done the Iraqis did nothing to provoke or deserve what has been done to them. What the Bush Administration did to Iraq was an act of aggression, not defense. And those who did the actual doing, the sniping and the kicking down of doors, etc., are left to contemplate what can be an extremely painful question.

Like many others he came home with PTSD, but volunteering for four tours didn't help that condition or his family life, either. For me, the main lesson of the movie is that we squandered the sacrifices of these soldiers to make Iraq safe for its citizens.
I agree.

And squandering is the right word. A lot of lives were squandered, Americans as well as many innocent Iraqis who had, and still have, no idea why we did what we did to them.

PTSD is a contemporary phenomenon. While WW-II produced its share of what then was known as "shell-shock" and combat fatigue, considering the vast difference in numbers of GIs engaged in actual combat, and the relatively more protracted, strenuous, and punishing circumstances those WW-II combat veterans dealt with, the percentage of "shell-shock" and combat fatigue cases was comparatively minor.

I can report from personal experience that my own father suffered no such residual psychological trauma -- and he had many, very scary stories to tell about what he endured in the Pacific campaign. One thing I do recall about his recollections is his frequent mention of the fact that he had no choice. He was defending his country against a very powerful, aggressive and dangerous enemy.

There was never a trace of guilt in any of his recollections.

Any movie that pisses the pansy left off this bad has got to be a world-class winner.

I don't remember reading that anyone was "pissed". Its just that some people believe the movie be truthful.

The US still thinks war is a John Wayne movie and this movie demeans and belittles what Kyle and others gave to their country.

MOD EDIT - This is the Clean Debate Zone. No flaming, insulting or putting down other posters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason American Sniper is getting so much shall we say dislike from the left is because in my opinion the movie did not do three things a lot of the left would want to see in a movie concerning the Iraq war. It did not portray the American solider as a kill crazy psycho, it did not have a blame America theme, and there was no trashing of George W Bush. It was a story about one solider and the effect the war had on him and his family no flag waving no political messages as far as people considering Kyle a hero well that is all in the eye of the beholder there are a lot of people who consider Edward Snowden a hero everyone has their own idea of what a hero is.

Frankly, it isn't that good a movie to warrant all the attention it is getting. Chris Kyle was no more of a hero sniping from a rooftop than were the guys who were kicking in doors to search for terrorists. Like many others he came home with PTSD, but volunteering for four tours didn't help that condition or his family life, either. For me, the main lesson of the movie is that we squandered the sacrifices of these soldiers to make Iraq safe for its citizens.

It's the best movie I've seen in over 10 years now. Clint Eastwood did a magnificent job. If you are only going to see one movie this year? Make it American Sniper. You won't regret it.

The reason American Sniper is getting so much shall we say dislike from the left is because in my opinion the movie did not do three things a lot of the left would want to see in a movie concerning the Iraq war. It did not portray the American solider as a kill crazy psycho, it did not have a blame America theme, and there was no trashing of George W Bush. It was a story about one solider and the effect the war had on him and his family no flag waving no political messages as far as people considering Kyle a hero well that is all in the eye of the beholder there are a lot of people who consider Edward Snowden a hero everyone has their own idea of what a hero is.
They had crazy GI movies in a few WWII movies produced 50 years ago...
I liked the US sniper in Saving Private Ryan...

It is better that Saving Private Ryan - imo.

I ♥ the movie. It wasn't your typical war film that leaves me grieving. Chris Kyle saved the lives of many Marines on the ground by shooting the snipers from the other side, who were aiming their rifles at our soldiers. This didn't make him a hero. It made him superb at his job.

It is better that Saving Private Ryan - imo.
I liked Saving Private Ryan but agree American Sniper is better these two along with the Band Of Brothers miniseries are my top three war movies.

Forum List

Back